daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #881
ozzman

Likes (Received): 0

Hi everyone. I live at 500 s. Clinton. It is kind of a tweener and not really in the west or south loop areas. I would love to see some development between van buren and roosevelt so that it didn't feel like my building was such an island. hopefully with the new alderman, things will change and some residential and commercial will fill in the void. it really is a great location and if developed has direct access to downtown.
ozzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #882
Chicagotom

Welcome to the thread, Ozzman. I agree that area west of the River and east of the Kennedy is ripe for development.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #883
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I think we're mistakenly focusing on the properties listed. Isn't it more likely that Park One (or the unnamed owner) is raising $121 million cash for some other reason by mortgaging four South Loop properties?
Mr. Downtown... didn't warren barr buy the auditorium garage?
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #884
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

^So I'd read. In Crain's, I think.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #885
ChicagoSchool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
Mr. Downtown... didn't warren barr buy the auditorium garage?
Boiler- Pardon the ignorance, but who is Warren Barr? Has he been involved in residential development in the past?

These recent ParkOne deals are very interesting. Could they have a motive, or just a plain mortgage refinance?

Last edited by ChicagoSchool; August 8th, 2007 at 07:35 PM.
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #886
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Warren Barr is the principal of Renaissant Development. They developed Vision on State, have plans for Park 1000, and for Park Michigan. They also are building Park Lafayette in Milwaukee. Past projects include 41 East 8th, One East 14th Place, One East 15th Place, Prairie District Homes in Central Station, and Prairie Avenue Lofts on Cullerton.
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #887
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 08:33 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #888
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Nothing at all. Shortly after the aldermanic election, Barr cancelled a presentation to South Loop Neighbors, saying he "had to have a meeting" first. I assumed the meeting was with Fioretti, but perhaps (given the interesting rumor reported here) it was with his structural engineers.
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #889
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Old August 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #890
ChicagoSchool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Warren Barr is the principal of Renaissant Development. They developed Vision on State, have plans for Park 1000, and for Park Michigan. They also are building Park Lafayette in Milwaukee. Past projects include 41 East 8th, One East 14th Place, One East 15th Place, Prairie District Homes in Central Station, and Prairie Avenue Lofts on Cullerton.
Uuuggg! I want to puke. Architecturally insignificant constructions ahead at the prime lots listed above? Especially the Printers Row centrally-located 600 S Dearborn lot. I hope I'm wrong.
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #891
Prairie Avenue

Warren Barr

Adding to the present information, Barr used to be a principle in Legacy development. Two troubled developments of his and Legacy's include the 1717 Prairie tower and Prairie Lofts. the latter in conjunction with Tommy Dipiazza of Bridgeport Village and Degnan connection fame, see John Kass columns of late including today's. Legacy was prominent in the first real burst of South Loop development beyond central station.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #892
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Old August 9th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #893
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #894
FreeRadical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
Hi everyone. I live at 500 s. Clinton. It is kind of a tweener and not really in the west or south loop areas. I would love to see some development between van buren and roosevelt so that it didn't feel like my building was such an island. hopefully with the new alderman, things will change and some residential and commercial will fill in the void. it really is a great location and if developed has direct access to downtown.
I don't know how much residential development you will be seeing there, but in the meantime you'll be able to drown your sorrows in style:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,1446468.story

"Binny's Beverage Depot is upping the ante in a big way. The family-owned liquor chain, which has been on an expansion tear, is turning an old printing factory in the South Loop into a sprawling, $17 million wine-and-spirits emporium, part of a move to open six new stores in the next 18 months.

The building, which most recently housed a secretarial-services firm, sits at 1132 S. Jefferson St., along the burgeoning Roosevelt Corridor where national retail chains from Home Depot to Whole Foods have been putting down stakes."
FreeRadical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #895
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Regarding 1717, Barr was the only Principal involved in that deal to step forward and try to help resolve the complaints. An admirable action considering that his former partners all scurried away to the shadows.
Has that been fully resolved and publicly announced? I agree he seems to be the most responsible of the former Legacy partners.
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #896
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Old August 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #897
ozzman

Quote:
I don't know how much residential development you will be seeing there, but in the meantime you'll be able to drown your sorrows in style:
I would LOVE to see more residential development, but even that isn't really important to me. I just want some more retail/restaurants to come into the area.

I have a good story about everyone's favorite alderman Haithcock. I guess the former DHL and host of other delivery companies building on the southwest corner of Jefferson and Harrison had a few developers that were ready to turn the building into a nice ~20 story residential tower with lots of retail on the first floor. Miss Haithcock wouldn't even return to calls to any of the developers. We had her at one of our condo association meetings and our president had been speaking to the developers. she said no one had contacted her and that she didn't know what we were talking about. She told us to our face that she didn't even want our building to be residential. The lawyers of the developer found a loop hole and was able to convert the warehouses.
We tell her we want the area to be developed and she gets furious. She wouldn't listen to anyone or even acknowledge any reasonable comment. We told her that if she wouldn't listen to us, we wouldn't vote for her. She said that was fine, we wouldn't be able to vote her out of office. Look what happened in Feb
ozzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #898
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Old August 9th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #899
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
I don't know where it stands today. I do know that a few months ago, Barr brought in Leopardo, the General Contractor, to see what could be done to address the water infiltration. I have not heard anything beyond that. Often these problems are caused by bad design (Warman) more often than construction (Barr), so I admired the guy for getting his hands dirty when he is already being sued over the issues.
I have heard the Warman design excuse, but my understanding was that this was purely an installation issue. Things were put in backwards or upside down?

They all (including Barr) scurried away at first and Haithcock held a meeting where she essentially told the residents if they didn't like the coming $4 million or more assessment to move out. Might explain the resident activitism for her opponent as well as somewhere near a 75% voter turnout from that building in the aldermanic election, she was buried in that precinct.

Fioretti takes a lot of abuse here but the current movement toward a resolution was the result of pressure he exerted. But I suppose that is pandering to NIMBYs as opposed to responsible leadership.
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #900
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
We tell her we want the area to be developed and she gets furious. She wouldn't listen to anyone or even acknowledge any reasonable comment. We told her that if she wouldn't listen to us, we wouldn't vote for her. She said that was fine, we wouldn't be able to vote her out of office. Look what happened in Feb
That woman was just crazy. Never understood how she stayed in office for 13 years. To question her was to get screamed at. I was at a meeting years ago when a woman brought up a complaint about a new tower blocking her lake view. Haithcock laughed out loud at her and said anyone who buys a condo with a view who thinks that the view will stay is a moron. She then went on and buried the poor woman saying that in ten years every parking lot, every empty lot or area and every old, low building in the South Loop would be replaced by a hi rise so to complain about a viw being lost was idiotic. She said if you don't like it move the hell out. Apparently she shared the attitude of many here, probably without knowing why. I got her point but it had to be the most unpolitically correct way to handle the question. Right then I knew she was gone in the next election.