daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #901
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

In public meetings, I always had the impression that Haithcock wasn't sure how any given sentence would end when she started it.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #902
ozzman

Likes (Received): 0

Gotta love the respect that Haithcock gets.

Thanks for the projects in the pipeline for the area. Where is the best place to research stuff like that?
ozzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #903
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 08:32 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #904
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 1070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Avenue View Post
That woman was just crazy. Never understood how she stayed in office for 13 years. To question her was to get screamed at. I was at a meeting years ago when a woman brought up a complaint about a new tower blocking her lake view. Haithcock laughed out loud at her and said anyone who buys a condo with a view who thinks that the view will stay is a moron. She then went on and buried the poor woman saying that in ten years every parking lot, every empty lot or area and every old, low building in the South Loop would be replaced by a hi rise so to complain about a viw being lost was idiotic. She said if you don't like it move the hell out. Apparently she shared the attitude of many here, probably without knowing why. I got her point but it had to be the most unpolitically correct way to handle the question. Right then I knew she was gone in the next election.
Well, who owns their view? Noone. Whose view did that lady's building block. If you don't want your view ****ed with, live next to the lake, a park or the river. Everything else is fair game.

Maybe Haithcock was wrong in her expressiveness, but I bet it was a funny sight to see.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #905
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #906
Lux Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
From X/O Thread:
Now are you are talking about the F&G portion of "Franklin Point" that they bought from D2? What about the CSX chunk that that was recently sold? Did F&G have an interest in that too, or did Rokas buy that alone?
No clue about the recent CSX chunk. So I'd guess it only affects their announced purchase. I didn't really get to ask any questions (bad form)!
Lux Veritas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #907
Lux Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
In public meetings, I always had the impression that Haithcock wasn't sure how any given sentence would end when she started it.
My personal favorite was from the Soka Gakkai debate. When asked how she was going to use the money developers gave her, she said "I'm going to donate that for... computers... in the schools. <3 second pause> Or for autism." I actually laughed out loud; it was such a non sequitur. She was just terrible at thinking on her feet.

I would have paid good money to see her and Tillman in a debate. You can't write dialogue funnier than those two!
Lux Veritas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #908
Prairie Avenue

Haithcock fund raising

As inept as she was as a leader/politician she was a barn burner as a money raiser. Look at her recently filed D-2s. From January 1 through the run off (less than 4 months) she took in over $700,000. Unbelievable for an aldermanic race, especially one where an incumbent with that kind of war chest gets a third of the vote. For those who say Daley didn't back her, She lists almost 100k in contributions from 1st CD Victory PAC -- a Daley fundraising entity, another 7 grand spent on her behalf in automated calls by them, and 25k direct from Daley's campaign she used for media buys. The itemized contributions are littered with developers, their builders, subs and architects and law firms. Rokas gave 4 grand in this reporting period, Warman only mustered $300. The Chicago Chamber of Commerce gave her forty thousand dollars, oh my. Why were they so interested in keeping her as alderman?

Not sure how she gets away with no itemization of over 200k in contributions and almost 400k in dollars spent, but how in the world do you spend 700 grand and only get 2200 votes?
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #909
dvidler

Wabash Streetscape Improvement

Saw a sign in my building that there is a plan for a streetscape improvement plan from Harrison to Roosevelt on Wabash. The meeting to discuss it was yesterday morning so unfortunately I caught it late. But from the pics on the sign it looks as though it is similar to what they are doing from Harrison to Lake on Wabash
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #910
Belacqua

^ Both plans are available here: http://www.chicagoloopalliance.com/b...ture/index.htm

Phase II, Harrison to Roosevelt (warning--feckin' huge pdf of a fairly low-information powerpoint): http://www.chicagoloopalliance.com/b...h_Phase_II.pdf

The more I see of them, the less of a fan I am of those giant on-sidewalk planters. It's so limiting for what adjacent buildings can do with the sidewalks (i.e. there will never be a cafe there), and their placement is rarely well thought out, which causes a lot of unneccessary pedestrian bottlenecks in many places. Some of the new ones in the S. Loop, which I guess are part of the 9th street Streetscape, are almost half the width of the sidewalk where this sidewalks are barely wide enough to be comfortable in the first place.

Are they supposed to be some psychic buffer from traffic, instead of dealing with the root cause of too much/too fast traffic in the first place?
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:29 AM   #911
Chicagotom

Thought I would jump start the thread with a shot from the Roosevelt Collection webcam
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:03 AM   #912
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:48 AM   #913
Chicagotom

I would love to see a Skyline photoshop of this and the CS in the same shot.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:52 AM   #914
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:59 AM   #915
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:15 AM   #916
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

For some reason, even though it might be tacky, I think that if we ever build one of these observation decks/communication towers, we should make it like the Stratosphere in Vegas with all sorts of crazy rides at the top.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:43 PM   #917
ChicagoSchool

I'm really trying to like this concept/design, but so far for me it's just a dud and lacks creativity. It doesn't even contrast well with the Miesan McCormick Place.

Is there something cool here I'm just not seeing?
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:44 AM   #918
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

This reminds me of the concept cars they roll out at the auto show that has no chance of ever being built. If it is built, it certainly will not be in the location shown (east of LSD).
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:48 AM   #919
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Is it built on an exisiting parking lot or this is going to take more parkland space?
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM   #920
Ch.G, Ch.G

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSchool View Post
I'm really trying to like this concept/design, but so far for me it's just a dud and lacks creativity. It doesn't even contrast well with the Miesan McCormick Place.

Is there something cool here I'm just not seeing?
No.
Ch.G, Ch.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote