daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2007, 05:20 AM   #961
frk4hky
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
In conclusion, I just want to say that while I've had many differences through the years with the parochial concerns of some DP residents, [b]I don't understand the schadenfreude I sometimes see exhibited on this board toward DP residents. These are, after all, people who invested their own financial well-being, energy, and family welfare in the concept of living in and reviving the Near South Side.[b]

Thank you for a thoughtful, intelligent, civil, and well articulated post regarding the DP situation. I fear, judging by John's general belligerence on this board, your time and typing have been wasted. Who knows why he is so hostile towards DP. It's almost pathological. Really.
frk4hky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2007, 05:28 AM   #962
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Avenue View Post
I see the "Residents Only" sign was up again at the Dearborn 1 entry way, I thought they only did that during the week of the taste?
Bears games, too. Or maybe because of Jazz Fest.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:44 PM   #963
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
It's a shame the resulting struggle was cast as black vs. white, as nearly all the DP kids were black, also. The DP parents were fiercely committed to the idea of real cultural and racial diversity in the school, but how that diversity manifested itself forced them to make some tough decisions about the theory of diversity vs. the reality of poor educational performance.

As the LSC era dawned, the "project" parents seized control in some rather ugly political battles, and the "DP" parents eventually, slowly, withdrew in frustration. So by the time NTA opened, I don't think a single Dearborn Park child attended the school in Dearborn Park. And the opening of NTA--as a local school with attendance boundaries encompassing the "projects"--is the factor you're overlooking in asking what's different today from in 1985.

In conclusion, I just want to say that while I've had many differences through the years with the parochial concerns of some DP residents, I don't understand the schadenfreude I sometimes see exhibited on this board toward DP residents. These are, after all, people who invested their own financial well-being, energy, and family welfare in the concept of living in and reviving the Near South Side.
Where do you draw on the statistics that most of the Dearborn park students were black? The other point is reviving the near south side? Is that really what they moved there to do? Look at the west side development that took place within a similar type of area, by taking things a block at a time, a building here and there without the need for a residents only mentality and enclave. I don't think you revive an area by placing enclaves within it.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:32 AM   #964
frk4hky
BANNED

Quote:
Look at the west side development that took place within a similar type of area
There is no comparison between the expansion that has taken place in Greek Town and the expansion that has taken place in the DP area. They are not even close. If you want to find a similar area, you could look to University Village.

p.s Good post, JJ. You actually made it through the whole thing without name calling or telling a lie. I am impressed. Surprised, but impressed none-the-less.

Last edited by frk4hky; September 3rd, 2007 at 01:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:21 AM   #965
ashlandave

Attendance at South Loop School

According to 2006 CPS data, the school is 64.6% black, 21.4% white and 6.8% asian: 37.4% of the students are low income. Since the demographics of the area are changing dramatically, one would expect the ratios to change over time.
ashlandave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:45 AM   #966
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:08 AM   #967
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:21 AM   #968
frk4hky
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Are you implying that "Prairie Avenue" is "Big John J"?....I am tempted to call you a troll.
Call me what you will. PA is Big John J. No doubt about it.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:40 AM   #969
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM   #970
frk4hky
BANNED

Busting the grid through DP serves no purpose other than to bust the grid through DP. But if that is important to you, that is your business.

As far as JJ is concerned, he is up for reelection in April. He's going to need your vote. I am sure that he is relieved that he can count on yours. He's up for a rough reelection, for sure.
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #971
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
^Thanks for the reply.

Anybody who wants to bust the grid through Dearborn Park is OK in my book. Plus, the American Psychiatric Association hasn't, yet, assesed the "Fear of Tall Buildings" disorder. So, it isn't fair to call him crazy.
He clearly isn't here to speak about skyscrapers --troll would be correct in terms of this forum. I doubt anyone here really cares to hear his thoughts about someone's chances of re election to an LSC. If I am who he says I am, my email is posted at the school's website -- why not communicate directly?
Old September 4th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #972
dvidler

Quote:
Has signs up announcing "Sam's Wine and Spirits Warehouse"

Oh well, the Fox and Obel rumor never really seemed that solid. I hope that Sam's "Marcey Street Market" is part of the deal at least.
Intertesting. Time will tell if it is a worthy inhabitant of that location. Binnys is opening a huge liquor depot by Whole Foods.

But competition is a good thing
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #973
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #974
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #975
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
How do you feel about skyscrapers, say X/O or Park Michigan?

Honest question.
You have five months of comments from me about XO. I have always thought LaGrange goofed with it's streetscape -- the townhomes fit neither the alleged character of the neighborhood (Glessner) nor the style of the towers, they are ugly and institutional looking from the renderings. I also have serious questions about directing all the in and out garage traffic through the alley -- this would be a real danger at 18th and 16th. Properly done XO would be a landmark for the area.
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #976
frk4hky
BANNED

Quote:
I have always thought LaGrange goofed with it's streetscape -- the townhomes fit neither the alleged character of the neighborhood (Glessner) nor the style of the towers, they are ugly and institutional looking from the renderings. I also have serious questions about directing all the in and out garage traffic through the alley -- this would be a real danger at 18th and 16th.
John, I am not sure why he asked you that. Everyone knows you are opposed to X/O. Not in your backyard, right?
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #977
frk4hky
BANNED

Quote:
How do you feel about skyscrapers, say X/O or Park Michigan?

Honest question.
I am not opposed to skyscrapers, as long as they are properly planned. If the developer allows for ample parking (including guest parking) and the area can handle the additional traffic flow, I have no issue. Blocked views are not a big issue to me. Welcome to city life. When people scream about blocked views, they are often living in a building the went up and blocked someone else's view.

The real issue to me is that many of these places do not provide sufficient enough parking for the residents and their guests. Look at the two buildings going up on State Street just south of Roosevelt. One is a rental building. Are they going to be providing enough parking for all of the tenants and enough parking for a reasonable number of guests? Not likely. Does parking automatically come with each unit or does the tenant pay more for optional parking? With optional parking, many tenants will choose to not pay for the parking and try to find street parking. At many times of the day, State St. backs up from Roosevelt south past 14th street. The traffic already backs up past both of these buildings and when you add in the cars and traffic from two high rise/mid rise buildings, the traffic is gridlocked. That's not to mention the traffic for the stores and restaurants in the ground floor spaces of the building.
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #978
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

For anyone whose interested...

Join us next Tuesday as we will share community updates and much more!

Date: Tuesday, September 11 (not the usual Wednesday)
Time: 7:00 pm
Place: University Center, 525 South State

On the agenda....

2nd Ward Alderman Bob Fioretti will join South Loop Neighbors to discuss his experiences while serving as the newly elected Alderman.

Come and join the conversation with Alderman Fioretti and representatives from the Board of Directors of SLN to discuss issues important to the South Loop Community. A Q&A will follow the discussion.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #979
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #980
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by frk4hky View Post
I am not opposed to skyscrapers, as long as they are properly planned. If the developer allows for ample parking (including guest parking) and the area can handle the additional traffic flow, I have no issue. Blocked views are not a big issue to me. Welcome to city life. When people scream about blocked views, they are often living in a building the went up and blocked someone else's view.

The real issue to me is that many of these places do not provide sufficient enough parking for the residents and their guests. Look at the two buildings going up on State Street just south of Roosevelt. One is a rental building. Are they going to be providing enough parking for all of the tenants and enough parking for a reasonable number of guests? Not likely. Does parking automatically come with each unit or does the tenant pay more for optional parking? With optional parking, many tenants will choose to not pay for the parking and try to find street parking. At many times of the day, State St. backs up from Roosevelt south past 14th street. The traffic already backs up past both of these buildings and when you add in the cars and traffic from two high rise/mid rise buildings, the traffic is gridlocked. That's not to mention the traffic for the stores and restaurants in the ground floor spaces of the building.
^ And your solution to the congestion problem is more parking? How about focusing your efforts on pressuring your Alderman to push for more frequent bus service?

I would argue (and have argued) that less parking, not more, should be provided. Are you not interested in creating a pedestrian-friendly neighborhood with more amenities within walking distance, or do you actually like 100 foot high blank parking podiums, and having to compete with cars every time you walk down the sidewalk?

You're trying to fix a fractured hip with a bandaid by assuming that the source of traffic is people looking for street parking, and that providing gargantuan amounts of panic-parking (as I like to call it) in garages will solve the problem. Have you ever considered that the main source of traffic congestion in your still-largely undeveloped neighborhood is a culture of driving everywhere, encouragement of driving, and poor public transportation? How will providing even more parking do anything at all to solve this?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote