daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #981
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

But the State-Wabash-Michigan corridor already has more transit service than virtually anyplace in the world, with seven bus lines, three rapid transit lines, and two commuter train lines.

Oh, and what would the alderman have to do with bus headways?
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #982
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1296

the off-topic transit discussion that was taking place in this thread has been moved to the chicago mass transit thread
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #983
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Has signs up announcing "Sam's Wine and Spirits Warehouse"

Oh well, the Fox and Obel rumor never really seemed that solid. I hope that Sam's "Marcey Street Market" is part of the deal at least.
http://www.suntimes.com/business/543...090507.article

Sam's Wine and Spirits heads to the South Loop

September 5, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER and SANDRA GUY

Joining a fast-growing retail corridor, Sam's Wine and Spirits will open in November in the former Trailways Bus Terminal at 50 E. Roosevelt. It will be the fourth store for the Chicago-based chain.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #984
spyguy
Expert

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder05.article

GET JAZZED

September 5, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER

Sources said Segal is negotiating to reopen in the landmark Dearborn Street Station, 47 W. Polk, in ground- floor space behind Bar Louie. Optimists say the club could reopen early next year. A possible hitch is the cost of adding washrooms and bar service to the 3,500-square-foot room.
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #985
Belacqua

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Sources said Segal is negotiating to reopen in the landmark Dearborn Street Station, 47 W. Polk, in ground- floor space behind Bar Louie. Optimists say the club could reopen early next year. A possible hitch is the cost of adding washrooms and bar service to the 3,500-square-foot room.
Seems to be already underway. The dance school has moved out (I've heard that's the spot Jazz Showcase will be in, and the school is moving to the basement) and some interior construction is happening in that space.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #986
kenji

Any clues what's coming on Wabash and 18th, behind the 1720?
There is a Graystar Construction sign. I checked them out and they have nice portfolio, which includes Japonais and Rockit.
kenji no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #987
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 09:36 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #988
dvidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenji View Post
Any clues what's coming on Wabash and 18th, behind the 1720?
There is a Graystar Construction sign. I checked them out and they have nice portfolio, which includes Japonais and Rockit.
I remember attending the South Loop neighbors meeting where they presented this project. The presenter mentioned that on the Wabash side there will be a restaraunt.
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #989
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Perhaps you mean Greater South Loop Association meeting.

South Loop Neighbors generally doesn't look at anything south of 16th.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #990
dvidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Perhaps you mean Greater South Loop Association meeting.

South Loop Neighbors generally doesn't look at anything south of 16th.
You are correct.
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #991
SouthLoopSOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvidler View Post
You are correct.

cheapshot.....youre both wrong. How would you know?
SouthLoopSOX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #992
Herbus en Horto
Greetings from Kailua Bay

Lincoln Park vs. South of The Loop

All,

I am a professional mother of two moving from Oahu to Chicago in March of next year. I was planning on moving to Lincoln Park but I saw a Chicago Magazine article on the south of the loop area and was intrigued.

Can anyone shed some light on what makes the south of the loop area better / worse than Lincoln Park? I am particularly interested in high-rise living because I am a busy single mom and don't want to have to take care of a yard and such. Looking for a family friendly neighborhood close to downtown and south of the loop seems to fit the bill.

Can anyone recommend any buildings I could visit on my next trip in October or point me in the direction of some of the web sites for some of the high-rise developments there?

I was unsure about posting this on the forum because I don't want to be off topic. I sent some of the people direct messages as a result. But I really am interested in some of the high rise projects I have seen under this forum and the south of the loop area in general.

Thanks!
-- Shelly Storch
Herbus en Horto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #993
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Are you looking to rent or buy?

I like the South Loop because it is close to the hub of public transit (all el trains/subways and many buses). It is generally a little cheaper than Lincoln Park. If you work downtown, you are within walking distance on a nice day. I have a place in Printers Row and we love it. Many of the buildings are converted 100-year old warehouses. There are a lot of college students there. A lot of families live in Dearborn Park 1 or 2 which is mostly comprised of townhomes. There is a high rise at 9th and State and several mid-rises. Coming from Oahu, real estate probably will seem cheap to you (i had a college roommate from there). South of Roosevelt is Central Station. Nearly all of the buildings are new and there are many high rises. I have heard this area is one of the safest in the cities (because it is Mayor Daley's baby - he lives in that area). There is a lot of good things going on in the South Loop - the major festivals at Grant park down the street, Buckingham Fountain, many of the museums, 12th Street beach, sightseeing.

Some places that may be ready to buy in March of next year:
Library Tower at State and Harrison -http://www.lennar.com/findhome/community.aspx?COMID=19679&DIVID=CNULEN (Summer '08)

Vetro at Harrison and Wells - http://www.vetrochicago.com/

Printers Corner at Polk and Wells - http://www.printerscorner.com/

The Columbian at State and Michigan - http://www.thecolumbianchicago.com/contact.asp

Central Station - South of Roosevelt and East of Michigan
http://www.centralstationsouthloop.com/
Sky 55 - Rentals
1400 Museum Park
Museum Park Place
Tower IV

Vision on State - State and 14thish. http://www.visiononstate.com/

Lincoln Park is a great area though. My wife and I had our first home in this area (actually across the street in Lakeview). The schools are better, there are lots of good restaurants and stores (and bars). Public trans is good depending on what street you are on. The park is beautiful and there is a free zoo. They have a great beach at North Avenue.
There is not a lot of new high rises in Lincoln Park going up now, but there are a handful of existing ones particularly around the edges of Lincoln Park (the park itself).

I hope this helps, good luck, and welcome to Chicago!
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #994
McCreative

Shelly, my wife and I have 2 kids (5 and 2 1/2) and we live at the far end of the greaater South Loop at 18th and Clark. We have lived in this area for 7 years and it gets better all the time. High-rises are a plenty, literally everywhere in the S. Loop. There are a good amount of parks and you are a short walk to so many incredible things! Schools are getting better but there are plenty of other options to choose from. We have friends that live in high-rises at 1250 S. Michigan, 1530 S. State and Central Station and they are all really nice. Either neighborhood would be a good choice.
McCreative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #995
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

After renting out my condo at 1250 S. Michigan Ave. for the last 2 years, My wife and son and I, will be moving to the South Loop this January. I can't wait! Maybe I will be neighbors with your friends in the building.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #996
Chicagotom

Just an FYI on the last three posts there is a Sticky: The Official "I'm visiting/moving to Chicago, what should I do?" Thread ‎on the front page of the Chicago portal. That being said. Welcome to Chicago.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #997
spyguy
Expert

http://www.nearwestgazette.com/Archi.../News0907g.htm

Union Station, other development addressed at WCA luncheon

By Susan Fong

Partner James Plunkard of Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture then presented a rendering of his firm's 32-story residential and commercial mixed-used project at 519 S. Clinton St. Its 280 residential units will offer a pedestrian friendly streetscape with "significant" commercial operations on the corner, he said.
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #998
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Is this South Loop or West Loop?

I don't think we've ever had to address a development in this area before: west of the river, south of the Ike, east of the Dan Ryan. (I don't consider the Roosevelt Corridor to be either West OR South Loop)

Let's coin a new name for this area - O'Learyville. Seriously. It would be a tangible connection, letting people know where the fire started exactly and creating a new (minor) tourist attraction. Every schoolchild for 135 years had heard the story, but very few know where Ms. O'Leary lived; because of the industrial uses at the site currently, the story has remained a sort of intangible legend.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #999
Herbus en Horto
Greetings from Kailua Bay

Sky 55 and XO and thanks to all for the warm welcome

I want to say thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier, private and later public questions about south of the loop. Almost everyone had something to say and it has all been very helpful.

And I also saw that "I'm moving..." thread after I logged in this morning. Sorry for missing it and thanks for pointing out the existing thread Chicagotom.

I have done a lot of research since my first post, digging around on Google plus checking out the links and info people have kindly sent me. I didn’t even think of renting before because it seems like the neighborhood wouldn’t have rental places. But thanks to PrintersRowBoiler and a couple of others I found some links to rentals which also seem really nice.

So far, the buildings I think I'm going to come and look at in October are the Sky 55 building and the XO Condominiums building. Sky 55 seems like it might be a good place for us to test the waters without making a big commitment and a place we could live while I pick out the best long term options. The XO seems like it might be neat too. Some of the features there sound almost too good to be true. One of the Web sites I read about that building on says it will have indoor waterfalls in the spa! It made me laugh to think of my son who is three trying to figure out inside waterfalls when he’s just now getting the idea of how they work outside.

And the prices! It’s easy to be out of touch here on Oahu but having only looked at Lincoln Park I had no idea how affordable Chicago living can be. South of the loop definitely beats Lincoln Park on price.

Does anyone have a sense of the developers for Sky 55 and XO? I see they are both listed as "pre-construction" on the Web sites I visited. From digging around it seems like the “Giles” side of the XO project has a history of successful projects in the area. Is there anyone who knows enough about both/either to know whether they are they more ideas at this point or more real-world projects? There is a whole lot on this board about both, but I’m wondering if there is some kind of synopsis I could get from people who have been watching things all along.

Also, the job I'm transferring in for is downtown so it seems like the neighborhood is pretty much walking distance which doesn't seem to be the case with Lincoln Park. I have some time flexibility before I have to transfer, but I need to make sure that I'm looking in the right places.
Anyway, thanks for everything (again).

Shelly
Herbus en Horto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #1000
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

XO will not happen soon if it does at all. Right now there is a bunch of smoke going on with the alderman, the developers, and a neighborhood group. Giles I think is a good developer. Sky 55 is a beautiful building (in my opinion) and I have heard it is a great place to live (i think it is all rentals).
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote