daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #1001
ozzman

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Is this South Loop or West Loop?
This is the question that I have been asking myself for the last four years. I live across the street from this proposed building; I wonder if the renderings are available anywhere online. From most of the things I have found, I am considered living in the South Loop. I have made several posts in this thread and no one has questioned me or told me to go to a different neighborhood thread.
ozzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #1002
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbus en Horto View Post
the buildings I think I'm going to come and look at in October are the Sky 55 building and the XO Condominiums building.
Just a reminder that the buildings discussed on this board are only the new or most distinctive ones. The South Loop has dozens of highrise, midrise, or townhouse options.

For example, if you want to rent for a year to learn your way around, don't think you have to restrict yourself to Sky55, Amli900, or 1130 S. Michigan. There are hundreds of investor-owned units in South Loop condo highrises that are rented out.

And older buildings--especially if well cared for--can be much better deals. For example, there are family-size units at 901 S. Plymouth that have stunning skyline views, a pool, doorman, and garage, overlook a quiet park, and are an easy traffic-free walk from both supermarket and elementary school. Three midrises south of that building are also worth looking into.

Take a look around the neighborhood using the birdseye views on local.live.com , and check with a Realtor who knows the South Loop when you come to visit. Another way to poke around some of the buildings is the clickable neighborhood map at South Loop Neighbors website.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #1003
kenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvidler View Post
I remember attending the South Loop neighbors meeting where they presented this project. The presenter mentioned that on the Wabash side there will be a restaraunt.
Thanks. Seems like Wabash, thanks to the wider sidewalks(?), is becoming more lively then Michigan (south of Roosevelt).
kenji no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #1004
dvidler

From Crains:

"An affiliate of Smithfield Properties LLC has paid $5.3 million for a parking garage at 600 S. Clark St., just north of a 750-bed student housing project the Chicago-based company is developing"
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #1005
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 09:36 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #1006
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Why would a dorm need a parking garage? Perhaps that will be another building in the future?
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #1007
dvidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
Why would a dorm need a parking garage? Perhaps that will be another building in the future?
That is what I am sort of thinking but then again it could be used for that purpose
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #1008
pickuptoy

Prairie District Lofts

Anyone have any comments or info regarding this condo conversion project at 1729 S Indiana for a potential buyer? Frankel & Giles is the developer.
pickuptoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #1009
Bgirl

So I guess the Fox & Obel deal is not going to happen @ Roosevelt and Wabash?

Yah for more wine stores, though!
Bgirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #1010
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
Even if they're keeping it parking, maybe it's not all intended for the dorm. I don't know how many spaces there are in that lot, but at ~35K a spot, they would only need it to be about 150 stalls to make money just reselling it as deeded spots. I have no idea how to estimate the economics of renting it, but that would probably make more sense since then it would just be a placeholder for an ultimately more lucrative use when that part of the neighborhood has matured.

(This is leaving aside any argument about the rightness of owning and parking a car in that neighborhood. I figure as long as people are paying for the privilege, rather than it being provided as a public good, then let them pay until a better use comes along.)
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #1011
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I think the parking garage does better now because of adjacent to the new Homeland Security/Immigration facility. But apparently it has substandard aisles or tight turns or something. I don't think they let most people park their own cars.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #1012
Chitowner245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgirl View Post
So I guess the Fox & Obel deal is not going to happen @ Roosevelt and Wabash?

Yah for more wine stores, though!
Yeah, and two more are on the way: one is a half block south of 14th on michigan. The other is going in at 1250 s michigan. The jewel was good enough for me, so this is kinda overkill. Guess we have a lot of wealthy people who only drink wine around here now... weak.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #1013
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I think the parking garage does better now because of adjacent to the new Homeland Security/Immigration facility. But apparently it has substandard aisles or tight turns or something. I don't think they let most people park their own cars.
Thats funny. The City of Chicago has one of the most lenient requirements for parking lot design. It must be pretty bad. I also noticed before that the ramp continues up above the roof presumably to provide the opportunity to add additional levels to the garage. If the parking lot is too small, I wouldn't doubt that they would have difficulty selling deeded spots. Seeing that the lot is only 108' wide, it is tight but can be done like at Burnham Pointe.
Old September 12th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #1014
PrintersRowBoiler

I doubt they knock down the garage too. The price thrown around for land in the area is about $300/SF. The lot is about 12,000 SF - $3.6M. Since it sold for $5.3M, it doens't sound like a knock-down deal.
Old September 12th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #1015
Ritchie Rich
BANNED

I disagree with your assessment of the garage. Why would Smithfield even bother with buying a sub-standard parking garage in order to sell as condominium parking, let alone make it dedicated parking for a dormitory complex? This is not consistent with anything in their portfolio. They bought the land (which happens to include an outdated parking garage) for a future building development.
Ritchie Rich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #1016
PrintersRowBoiler

If they do take out this garage, there will be no parking within eye shot of the immigration/homeland security building with the bank coming, Burnham Pointe, and Vetro. The closest lots would be Dearborn/Harrison, the one by the prison, and the lots on Wells. (not that this is a problem - i wish they would have renovated the blue line station when they worked on the building - or at least give the station a new paint job so that it didn't look so frightening).

Also, if the city does not require parking for dormitories, it would seem to me that the parcel at Dearborn and Harrison would be ideal for a dormitory because of the lot size that would restrict a parking garage configuration. Daley has made it clear he wants more dormitories in the area too. There is a huge need for another dormitory NOW. 750 beds is a drop in the bucket.
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #1017
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...ArticleID=3414

Greatest place on earth
Church of Scientology expands into South Loop

By HUNTER CLAUSS

South Loop residents will soon have a new neighbor-the Church of Scientology.

The church's new flagship center of Chicago will move next summer into the former Artcraft Building, 650 S. Clark, and become the hub of Scientology-related activities and social services.

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #1018
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Not to be a damn fool, but what's under construction next to it?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #1019
Sir Isaac Newton

I was on South Wabash today between 13th and 14th streets, and they have started demolishing a 3-4 story building and there was some equipment on the empty, adjacent lot. I believe that this is the site of 1349 South Wabash (although I guess there is the possibility that this could be for Glashaus instead).

Also, a tapas restaurant has recently opened, directly south/adjacent to Zapatista.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #1020
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Not to be a damn fool, but what's under construction next to it?
The Dwight Building project (Columbia dorms).
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote