daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #1041
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
And AvalonBay has switched architects, to Fitzgerald, for the Clark/Polk project. They're moving the parking garage around to the west side and only doing two towers, the way I understand it. But I haven't seen any site plans or renderings.
Doubt they've finalized designs yet. It's great that they've relocated the parking along the Rock Island viaduct, and two towers is fine as long as they have substantial podiums.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #1042
Belacqua

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
AvalonBay has switched architects, to Fitzgerald, for the Clark/Polk project. They're moving the parking garage around to the west side and only doing two towers, the way I understand it. But I haven't seen any site plans or renderings.
Any word on retail this time around? Is the private park space still in the offing? Much as we need green space west of Clark, that wasn't the greatest configuration for it in the Lennar scheme. I think the more enclosure there is on the west side of the street, the more traffic will hopefull chill out a bit. That parkspace as it was (is?) planned would have been self defeating and left more dead space along that corridor for cars to speed past and peds to feel lost in.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #1043
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Coruscant View Post
^what? That's the site of proposed Park Michigan. Does it mean the developers are putting some actions on that site?
Fioretti said last night that he told Warren Barr he would not approve any of his projects until he gets the "waterfall" issue resolved.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #1044
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
Fioretti said last night that he told Warren Barr he would not approve any of his projects until he gets the "waterfall" issue resolved.
What's the waterfall issue?
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #1045
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

AvalonBay is anxious to keep any changes to the approved PD as mere administrative changes. They seemed receptive to retail and to shared or nonaccessory parking, which I raised as a more nuanced and useful long-term approach than the alderman's current push for a high per-unit ratio. But they have taken down the land, so the clock is ticking, and not having to reopen the PD apparently trumps a lot of other issues.

As far as I know, the "park" is still planned.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #1046
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 09:33 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #1047
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...442&TM=84254.2

Have a concern in the 2nd Ward?

Second Ward Alderman Bob Fioretti has been in office for about six months now, and he will be hosting a Town Hall Meeting this week to hear residents concerns and to talk about what he has been working on. Don't miss this opportunity to become updated on issues in the neighborhood. Head down to Soka Gakkai, located at 1455 S. Wabash, to hear the news and voice concerns on Sept. 20 at 6:30 p.m.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #1048
Chicagotom

MrDT
I trying to catch up on the Clark and Polk project. Is this the old Lennar site that had three towers? I think I went to the community meeting last year at Grace Place. Is this the site that Avolonbay is taking over on? These are going to be rentals so they could go U/C shortly after appoved. I was amazed at how quickly Sky55 went up when you dont have to wait for presales. How will this effect your views form DP?
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #1049
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Old September 20th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #1050
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

AvalonBay has purchased Lennar's Clark/Polk project, as reported in this weeks' Crain's.

Whatever they build will be prominent in the views from my apartment, so I'm hoping Fitzgerald does really nice work for them. It's interesting that some of my favorite new buildings--Sky55, Kingsbury Plaza--are rental towers. On the other hand, Fifield and P/H are doing some real dreck in K Station, so I don't know what to predict.
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #1051
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Old September 21st, 2007, 02:03 AM   #1052
Prairie Avenue

Retraction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frk4hky View Post
This fence has nothing to do with the kids having recess, this is a fact that cannot be denied. The kids do not have recess because of a UNION ISSUE. You can build a 10 foot barricade around the park and there will still be no recess. This whole thing is a farce. .
So now into the third week of daily recess, where is your retraction?
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1053
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Curious. Amli900's tower crane was partially disassembled today and then a new segment added. At one point, they had four of the segments out and lined up on the ground, leading me to assume the crane was coming down.

They're still finishing up a little concrete work on the elevator penthouse. It seems odd that no exterior panels have gone up yet.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; September 23rd, 2007 at 01:24 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 03:48 AM   #1054
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

Perhaps there was something wrong with one of the sections?
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:44 AM   #1055
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

DLK Architecture developed a set of guidelines for development around the Roosevelt Road viaduct. They're just guidelines, and so far nobody has taken them seriously "cough Roosevelt Collection cough*. However, their website does include a delicious image of what Roosevelt Collection could have been.

ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 08:07 AM   #1056
Bgirl

Another Starbucks? Isn't there a Starbucks on Harrison and Dearborn? I also heard a rumor that Starbucks is going into the development on State and 8th? The development anchored by the new gym...
Bgirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM   #1057
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgirl View Post
Another Starbucks? Isn't there a Starbucks on Harrison and Dearborn? I also heard a rumor that Starbucks is going into the development on State and 8th? The development anchored by the new gym...
I heard on the radio a few months back that Starbucks was looking to increase the number of stores by as much as 100% in the Chicago area.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #1058
Ritchie Rich
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgirl View Post
I'm willing to bet that anyone who lives/works west of Clark Street would welcome a Starbucks or any other food/beverage restaurant that would open in the Burnham Pointe tower. That intersection has a high volume of foot traffic in the east/west direction along Polk.

In lieu of a Starbucks, would you prefer another vacant storefront in the South Loop?
Ritchie Rich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #1059
Bgirl

Not at all...it'd be nice to see a 'new' type of coffee shop is all. Or an independent unknown chain of sorts to come on in. Or a bookstore. Or an Intelligentsia.

Blame it on the fruit flies that I encountered at the now defunct Starbucks locale across from the Apple Store on Mich Ave...I haven't been to a Starbucks ever since....
Bgirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #1060
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 09:32 PM.