daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #1061
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I was sort of wondering if Meinl might be the player interested in the Fairbanks Lofts space. I don't know who else takes such large spaces.

The caffeinization of the South Loop has been intriguing to watch. It seems funny now to remember how back in the 80s the Coffee Producers Council had to run those Diana Ross TV commercials, trying to convince young people to try the stuff.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #1062
Bgirl

Likes (Received): 0

...on another note, I was @ the Sams Wine meeting the other night. I'm pretty excited to have this place around the corner from me. I really like their concept of the 'wine lounge' ...wi-fi, relaxing and a place to watch plasmas that are geared towards the food channel and similar stations.
Bgirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #1063
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 09:31 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #1064
Bgirl

Yep...400 types of cheese, basement wine cellar, 9500 sq ft., olive oil, balsamics, high-end glassware, prosciutto...

That's the first time I've heard of THE GAP....me thinks it may go down the street into the Centrum area?
Bgirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #1065
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Today's Tribune reports that Canadian National will definitely buy the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern, which among other things will allow them to abandon the St Charles Air Line.

The story repeats the oft-heard claim that nearby residents want the Air Line abandoned:

A spokesman said the company hopes the acquisition will allow Canadian National to eventually vacate an existing downtown route known as the St. Charles Air Line, which has long been the source of friction between the railroad and local residents and developers.

But in 25 years of attending South Loop neighborhood meetings, I've never heard anyone complain about the railroad or seen them drool at the prospect of the greenway the city wants to replace it with. Has anyone? slooparch, has SCAL ever come up at GSLA? Maybe it's more a topic of discussion in Chinatown, where a grade crossing cuts off access to Ping Tom park.
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #1066
Prairie Avenue

Air Line

But in 25 years of attending South Loop neighborhood meetings, I've never heard anyone complain about the railroad or seen them drool at the prospect of the greenway the city wants to replace it with. Has anyone? slooparch, has SCAL ever come up at GSLA? Maybe it's more a topic of discussion in Chinatown, where a grade crossing cuts off access to Ping Tom park.[/QUOTE]

Really? There has been a lot of talk that this would be shut down since I have lived in the South Loop including a promise by Mayor Daley that the overpass at 16th and the rail line would be coming down no later than 1998. At the time that was said in 96 it was ventured that the continued existence would impact development from going beyond the Central station end point at 16th street. Tim Desmond assured residents at the Prairie Street developments the rail line would be soon be gone as well, knowing that those of us already living in the neighborhood were all too familair with the screeching as freight trains made the tight turn at 16th street. A few years ago haithcock even addressed the promises saying the prior statements about the line's removal were nonsense because of the Amtrack route and all she could do was to impose strict mph values on the trains to keep their noise to a minimum.
Now, I don't know whether things have been on GSLA or SLN's agendas, but there has been plenty of discussion by politicians that this line would be eliminated as it is inconsistent witht he growth in residential use along the tracks.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #1067
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

The relocation of CN trains won't stop Amtrak from using the St. Charles Air Line. Until they build a proper connection at Grand Crossing between CN and Norfolk Southern, they can't do anything to the SCAL. Note that this connection would also speed up the Amtrak trip through the South Side by a good 15-20 minutes.

Personally, I'm hoping the city preserves the SCAL to link the lakefront CN/Metra Electric tracks to the L system, even if all freight and Amtrak is routed off of it.

Last edited by ardecila; September 28th, 2007 at 01:06 AM.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #1068
slooparch

Likes (Received): 5

St. Charles Airline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Today's Tribune reports that Canadian National will definitely buy the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern, which among other things will allow them to abandon the St Charles Air Line.

The story repeats the oft-heard claim that nearby residents want the Air Line abandoned:

A spokesman said the company hopes the acquisition will allow Canadian National to eventually vacate an existing downtown route known as the St. Charles Air Line, which has long been the source of friction between the railroad and local residents and developers.

But in 25 years of attending South Loop neighborhood meetings, I've never heard anyone complain about the railroad or seen them drool at the prospect of the greenway the city wants to replace it with. Has anyone? slooparch, has SCAL ever come up at GSLA? Maybe it's more a topic of discussion in Chinatown, where a grade crossing cuts off access to Ping Tom park.
I basically agree with you thrust, MrD, despite although developers' sales staffs reporting that the airline will be abandoned by "next year" (starting about 10 years ago), I have personally never heard of any complaints within the south loop. On the contrary, most of the people I know who live adjacent to it have told me they love watching the train traffic.

Furthermore, I know for a fact that the city and Central Station's long range planning for the rest of the development south of 14th utilizing the air rights assumes that the St Charles remains.

The ironic part is that I think Pilsen and Chinatown are much more interested in seeing it abadoned but due to our particular aldermanic ways of getting things done in this city, those voices will never become very consequential.
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #1069
Prairie Avenue

st charles

Interesting juxtaposition Sloop, admitting that sales staff have promoted its demise for ten years (my experience as well) but not knowing of any major complaints. I think new buyers are seen as more tempermental and in need of be assured but once you live in the city it's a minor nuisance with a lot of other things. As someone who is often jolted awake at 3 am as a freight train starts up with a loud crash, feels the earthquake like vibration several times a day and used to hear the screeching of the tracks and train when I lived at 16th and Indiana I believe if a survey was taken most residents would complain, but as to day-to-day we live in a city with many sounds and sights and we put up with all of them without making an issue -- by the way Amtrak is a pleasure to watch and they are whisper quiet in comparison.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #1070
Chicagotom

I seem to recall a fairly large hazard waste spill that took place last year. This sound like the perfect issue for Fioretti. Get his fricken nose out of the boom and focus on safety.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #1071
southloopscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgirl View Post
Another Starbucks? Isn't there a Starbucks on Harrison and Dearborn? I also heard a rumor that Starbucks is going into the development on State and 8th? The development anchored by the new gym...
Good, I'll look forward to having a Starbucks downstairs! (One Place) It'll come in handy for those mornings when I'm in a hurry, and don't have time to brew a pot.
southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #1072
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
And AvalonBay has switched architects, to Fitzgerald, for the Clark/Polk project. They're moving the parking garage around to the west side and only doing two towers, the way I understand it. But I haven't seen any site plans or renderings.
http://www.commercialpropertynews.co...a4b30927e4e8e4

AvalonBay Buys South Loop Site for Apartment Development
Sept 18, 2007
By: Dees Stribling

The Alexandria, Va.-based AvalonBay plans an eventual total of about 1,000 rental units in three towers on the site, along with a parking garage, representing an investment of $280 million...There will also be green space fronting Clark Street.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #1073
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Anyone know the precise location of this? Clark and ......?
Old September 29th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #1074
Chicagotom

This is the Lennar site at Polk and Clark
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1075
Chicagotom

Found these in Chicago Pictures that will blow you away thread. Great South Loop shots

Old October 1st, 2007, 05:41 AM   #1076
spyguy
Expert

Another interesting photo by Mariam Dholkawala
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:51 PM   #1077
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

Posted in the Boom Rondown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually...Chicago View Post
Got this letter in the mail yesterday:

You are cordially invited by Ald. Robert W. Fioretti to attend a Community Meeting on Thursday, October 4, 2007 commencing at 6:00 pm to be held at Roosevelt University 430 South Michigan Avenue, Second Floor Congress Lounge.

Central Station, LLC will present its plans to the Community for the proposed construction of two high-rise buildings along East Roosevelt Road between South Michigan Ave. and South Indiana Avenue.

Central Station, LLC has filed a zoning application with the City of Chicago relating to the proposed construction of these buildings.

I don't know if i can go but maybe other local people (museumparktom?) can rep. the forum
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #1078
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Curious. Apparently a steel beam of some sort fell from OMP during last night's windstorm.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/5...100307.article
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #1079
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Posted in the Boom Rondown
I will try to make it...
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #1080
spyguy
Expert

http://www.globest.com/news/1006_100.../164727-1.html

AvalonBay Plans $280M Apartment Development
By Gina Kenny

Construction on the first phase of the project is expected to begin in the fall of 2008 and take approximately two years to finish. The complex will have amenities such as an outdoor pool, pool deck, picnic areas, outdoor running track, pet recreation park and a park fronting Clark Street, according to the company statement.