daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1161
McCreative

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^Dunno. He just flashed the rendering for a half-second, and all I could make out was a box floating in space.
Sounds familar. There's a swatch of land on Clark/16th that the police fenced off for parking around two years a go. If my memory is correct, there was a planned mixed-use building but it never materialized.

Also, just South of Wicklander (Daystar now) on State there is a vacant lot that was sold around that same time.

Either location is a short walk for me. What's the story with Roundy's?

Last edited by McCreative; November 1st, 2007 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Typo
McCreative no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:49 PM   #1162
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Except the city insists on keeping Manufacturing zoning between the St Charles Air Line and 17th, State to Clark. Wicklander asked for that a decade ago and was hoist by their own pitard when they wanted to sell the land for residential development. So I don't know whether a retail use would now be allowed. It's not actually a PMD, but I don't know why the city forbade residential there.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:31 AM   #1163
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Perhaps that could be changing. The public perception of the South Loop has changed drastically in just the last 5 years.

Maybe this is the city's first attempt to change the manufacturing usage here.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:34 AM   #1164
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

No, the city just rejected residential for the Wicklander site in 2005, I think. Columbia's new MPC gets cheaper land at 16th/State because of the Manufacturing zoning. It's always been a bit of a mystery who and why wanted this little enclave and why DPD discourages other uses.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:37 AM   #1165
Cullertonian

Renovated storefront 1700-ish South Wabash

Anybody know what's up with the recently renovated storefront of the building at 1700-ish South Wabash? This is will be a huge space, but there are no signs advertising the building's future use.
Cullertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:49 AM   #1166
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Photos by toggies

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 07:59 PM   #1167
spyguy
Expert

http://www.nearwestgazette.com/Archi...News131107.htm

New developments slated for South Loop, Near South
By Marie Balice Ward

Commercial and retail space for Wabash Ave.:
At 1639 S. Wabash Ave., developer 1639 S. Wabash LLC is building a single story structure with 5,000 square feet of retail and commercial space. Also, 1717 S. Wabash, LLC is creating an 11,000 square foot retail and commercial building at 1717 S. Wabash Ave. Negotiations with potential tenants are underway, and the architectural firm for both projects is Graystar Corp.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:01 PM   #1168
spyguy
Expert

Also in the same article

http://www.nearwestgazette.com/Archi...News131107.htm

New developments slated for South Loop, Near South
By Marie Balice Ward

The Interior Furniture Building:
This future condominium building’s façade at 1340 S. Michigan Ave. received landmark status, but the interior is being redesigned and reconfigured. Concept Developers also will make some external changes to the north and south walls and has asked to add two stories to create nine levels and 53 one- and two-bedroom loft condominiums. Other design changes also are planned.

------------
Plus:
3415 S. Calumet Ave
Second Ward Alderman Robert Fioretti said his approval was "contingent on the parking lot being developed to blend into the community…preferably an environmentally friendly parking lot with ‘green' technology.”
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #1169
southloopscotty

"3415 S. Calumet Ave
Second Ward Alderman Robert Fioretti said his approval was "contingent on the parking lot being developed to blend into the community…preferably an environmentally friendly parking lot with ‘green' technology.”
"

WTF? How do you make a parking lot 'green'? Paint the stall lines green?
Unless that parking lot is full of hybrids there's nothing green about it...
southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #1170
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by southloopscotty View Post
"3415 S. Calumet Ave
"

WTF? How do you make a parking lot 'green'? Paint the stall lines green?
Unless that parking lot is full of hybrids there's nothing green about it...
You can use permeable paving to avoid putting strain on the sewer system. Of course, that also means that the oils that sometimes seep out of cars will also go into the ground at low concentrations, but they won't be concentrated by the sewer system and dumped into waterways.

Also, heavy landscaping reduces the "heat island" effect, and the glare that causes an uncomfortable environment for pedestrians in the summer is abated.
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #1171
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

I was thinking of permeable concrete in addition to heavy landscaping. Maybe some cisterns to collect rain to water the landscaping. Also a storm water system that allows infiltration and a structure that removes total suspended solids, oils, etc (i.e. a Stormceptor).
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #1172
southloopscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
I was thinking of permeable concrete in addition to heavy landscaping. Maybe some cisterns to collect rain to water the landscaping. Also a storm water system that allows infiltration and a structure that removes total suspended solids, oils, etc (i.e. a Stormceptor).
I guess my point was that adding more parking period is not a green prospect.
I understand that the lot can be made "greener," but I'm with those that think we need less parking in the South Loop to encourage the use of public transportation and walking.
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #1173
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by southloopscotty View Post
I guess my point was that adding more parking period is not a green prospect.
I understand that the lot can be made "greener," but I'm with those that think we need less parking in the South Loop to encourage the use of public transportation and walking.
Point taken, but 3415 South Calumet is not the South Loop.
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #1174
southloopscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Point taken, but 3415 South Calumet is not the South Loop.
True, I got carried away with my point!
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #1175
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

More about the Roundy's: apparently Ald. Dowell is opposed to a grocery store in the South Loop until there's a grocery store in the Bronzeville part of her ward. On the other hand, she's apparently opposing Columbia's Media Production Center at 16th/State because she wants retail there.
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #1176
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I discovered this ridiculous piece of gerrymandering yesterday. Who in hell thought putting part of the South Loop in the 3rd Ward was a good idea?

Dowell's piece of South Loop is, coincidentally, where several transit lines happen to cross, making it one of the best places for development to occur, after the lakefront has been exhausted. Hmm.. I wonder why there's no Orange Line station at Clark/18th?

In all fairness, Dowell seems even a bit more enlightened than Fioretti on smart development, but she's as self-serving as any other alderman. Hopefully Roundy's will find a compromise plan that will get Dowell's support for a South Loop store. As for the Columbia MPC thing - has Columbia considered adding a ground floor with some token retail space to appease Dowell?
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #1177
Chicagotom

The answer to the ridiculous piece of gerrymandering more than likely has it's roots in the former Alderman - The 3rd was Dorthy Tillman's old ward - wasn't it? Which includes the Ickes, Dearborn Homes and Hilliard all projects that were Tillman's base.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #1178
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

I think ward gerrymandering is almost entirely done by looking at the population of each block, not at infrastructure or developable land. There's a lot of pressure to make wards as equal as possible in population, and after that the aldermen want to make sure their homes and the people most likely to support them are in the newly drawn ward. Why the Third was extended way north to get the (at the time) very few people in Dearborn Tower, I don't know. There's supposedly some really connected guy who lives on 15th--he's reportedly the reason that street has not one but two cul-de-sacs and couldn't be extended into Riverside Park--and maybe he wanted to be part of the Third Ward.

As for the Orange Line, no one would have even proposed an 18th/Clark stop in 1985. You couldn't even see a residential building or employer from there, the line was planned with stops a mile apart, and the platform would have been absurdly high because of the need to clear the Metra Rock Island tracks. And at the time, that was the First Ward, represented by Fred Roti.
Old November 7th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #1179
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:34 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #1180
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

^I think that's just a conceptual diagram that Valerio DeWalt Train prepared for space planning purposes.