daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #101
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

I don't think this was ever posted. It is the retail portion of the redeveloped 1212 South Michigan building (across from the Columbian). It contains something like ~16,000 sq. ft. of retail and is designed by DeStefano.

It looks pretty cool in the rendering, but obviously it's not going to have Armani as a tenant. This will turn out really cool or a blunder, but it's certainly interesting to look at.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #102
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

OH MY GOD. WTF? This is what we put at one of Grant Park's two corners, perhaps some of the most significant intersections in the city.

So, is the concept that almost the entire facade will be given over to corporate signage?
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #103
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #104
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
OH MY GOD. WTF? This is what we put at one of Grant Park's two corners, perhaps some of the most significant intersections in the city.

So, is the concept that almost the entire facade will be given over to corporate signage?
^ Whats up with some of you people and corporate signage? As if giant blank concrete garage podiums are fine, but a big sign is civic vandalism.

I personally would love to see bilboards (including animated ones) placed on many of Chicago's uglier podiums, and I even started a thread about that a while back
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #105
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #106
Chicagotom

I have to side on the anything is better than what we have here. This is one, if not THE ugliest buildings in the South Loop. I will be very interested in any other renderings that are out there. I know the economics would be against this but I would celebrate if they tore this one down and started over.

Last edited by Chicagotom; March 16th, 2007 at 02:24 PM. Reason: SP
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #107
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:

Huh, thats strange....
I think it looks great, better than having a dead corner.
Brings life back to the sidewalk.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #108
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I don't think this was ever posted. It is the retail portion of the redeveloped 1212 South Michigan building (across from the Columbian). It contains something like ~16,000 sq. ft. of retail and is designed by DeStefano.

It looks pretty cool in the rendering, but obviously it's not going to have Armani as a tenant. This will turn out really cool or a blunder, but it's certainly interesting to look at.
^ I think you're confusing Armani Exchange and Armani. Armani Exchange is relatively cheap. No reason why they couldn't have a store there
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #109
Chicagotom

Carson's seeks S. Loop site

By H. Lee Murphy
March 19, 2007
©2007 by Crain Communications Inc.

With the Carson Pirie Scott flagship on State Street now closed, owner Bon-Ton Stores Inc. is eyeing a replacement site on Roosevelt Road in the South Loop, along with other locations in the Chicago area.

Real estate sources say York, Pa.-based Bon-Ton, which bought Carson's last year for $1.1 billion, wants space at Roosevelt Collection, a shopping center on Roosevelt Road near Clark Street planned by Chicago-based Centrum Properties Inc.

Lisa Balis, senior vice-president of leasing and marketing at Centrum, says she's "not aware of a single conversation anybody here has had with Carson's so far. I don't believe we have room for them, anyway."

Real estate brokers who have talked to Carson's, however, say the company believes it can squeeze into Roosevelt Collection by designing a multilevel space. Failing that, it could consider an empty parcel across Roosevelt Road, the brokers say.

Bon-Ton also is negotiating for a new Carson's site at the Gurnee Mills shopping center in north suburban Gurnee. In Hammond, Ind., it's building a 100,000-square-foot Carson's to replace an older store.

A Bon-Ton spokeswoman won't discuss specific sites, but says: "We are interested in growing Carson Pirie Scott. That name is our biggest contributor to sales, and Chicago is the biggest market we operate in."

Carson's has become Bon-Ton's top-performing division. Bon-Ton reported last week that sales at its non-Carson's stores open at least a year fell 2.7% in the fiscal year ended Feb. 3, while Carson's same-store sales rose 4.3%.

Gurnee Mills won't confirm negotiations with Carson's. But James Hayner, Gurnee's village administrator, says, "We've heard that Carson's is interested in coming here, and they've talked to Gurnee Mills."

The 28-store chain has opened just two stores in the past 20 years. But observers expect Bon-Ton to be more aggressive.

"In the past, Carson's has been hamstrung by its financial condition and always seemed to be retrenching," says John Melaniphy Jr., president of retail consultancy Melaniphy & Associates Inc. in Chicago. "Now they have a parent company willing to invest in them."
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #110
prelude91

Likes (Received): 2

great news! i would love to see carsons at roosevelt collection.

i didnt know carsons only had 28 stores
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:20 PM   #111
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Somehow sales are near 50% for 1349 South Wabash - spring or summer ground breaking.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:55 PM   #112
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Somehow sales are near 50% for 1349 South Wabash - spring or summer ground breaking.
Nice! About a month ago, I remember hearing from someone that 1555 South Wabash should be breaking ground in the near future. Also, does anyone know how sales at Glashaus are coming along and when they expect to break ground?
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:45 AM   #113
Sir Isaac Newton

Does anyone know what the Jones College Prep addition/expansion will comprise of? I know that the Pacific Gardens Mission is moving to around 14th and Canal. Will the current Pacific Gardens Mission ******** be adaptively resused by Jones College Prep or will it be knocked down and a completely *** structure be built? Will the expansion of Jones Prep also go on the parking lot just northwest of the State and Polk intersection?
Old April 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM   #114
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

Quote:
OH MY GOD. WTF? This is what we put at one of Grant Park's two corners, perhaps some of the most significant intersections in the ****.

As opposed to painted concrete?
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:17 PM   #115
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
Does anyone know what the Jones College Prep addition/expansion will comprise of? I know that the Pacific Gardens Mission is moving to around 14th and Canal. Will the current Pacific Gardens Mission ******** be adaptively resused by Jones College Prep or will it be knocked down and a completely *** structure be built? Will the expansion of Jones Prep also go on the parking lot just northwest of the State and Polk intersection?
Details are very limited... but it was my understanding that the PGM would be demolished (the latest update I heard was they would move out of the building in November) and new facilities including a recreational building would be constructed. I had heard that the new rec building would include a gym and a pool with the pool possibly opened to the public during certain times. I have tried to find more details, but I think the plans are in the conceptual stage and moving PGM was more political than out of need.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:46 PM   #116
Chicagotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
Nice! About a month ago, I remember hearing from someone that 1555 South Wabash should be breaking ground in the near future. Also, does anyone know how sales at Glashaus are coming along and when they expect to break ground?
I was in Glashaus sales center about a month ago and they were well over 40% sold. They were talking summer breaking ground but lets see.

[QUOTE=Does anyone know what the Jones College Prep addition/expansion will comprise of? I know that the Pacific Gardens Mission is moving to around 14th and Canal. Will the current Pacific Gardens Mission ******** be adaptively resused by Jones College Prep or will it be knocked down and a completely *** structure be built? Will the expansion of Jones Prep also go on the parking lot just northwest of the State and Polk intersection?[/QUOTE]

I recall a great article in on-line from Columbia that outlined the JCP plans - I'll dig around and see if I can find it but from what I recall they are demolishing the PGM and taking the parking lot to Polk for a multi-level athletic complex with additonal class and administrative space.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:02 AM   #117
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling in table data
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:06 AM   #118
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Wow... not sure what to make of that. Just a reminder - the two buildings north of that were sold last year to be student housing, Burnham Pointe is the just South of a one story car wash/parking garage next door. Clark Street might actually have some life to it down there.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:17 AM   #119
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:12 AM   #120
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
What do you know about that Student Housing project? Who is the developer? Is it approved? Have any renderings or details, such as number of beds, been released? Is Columbia involved financially?
I don't know too much about the project, but here is the Emporis listing....it includes an extremely rough sketch/rendering...

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=285742