daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #1181
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:34 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #1182
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #1183
Chicagotom

Mr DT. I noticed in Toggies south loop pics that there was decking going up at the Roosevelt Collection . Can you see any of that from your condo and if so can you post a pic?

Thanks
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #1184
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
More about the Roundy's: apparently Ald. Dowell is opposed to a grocery store in the South Loop until there's a grocery store in the Bronzeville part of her ward. On the other hand, she's apparently opposing Columbia's Media Production Center at 16th/State because she wants retail there.

If this is true, what a loonie tune she is. She's going to hold hostage development in one neighborhood until somebody builds something she wants in another neighborhood? Am I hallucinating or at one time were there little things people called free enterprise, property rights, capitalism, supply-and-demand? Where do these aldermen get off thinking they control there own little centrally-planned economies throughout the city? Yet another example of why aldermanic prerogative needs to be revoked and rational thought needs to be reintroduced to this city's development approval process (development approval and extortion process that is)

And how could she try to force retail onto Columbia's site? That's just absurd. Folks, I'm all for sound planning concepts and the like (in fact - my background - at least acameically - is in urban and regional planning and economic development, but give me a break - in the end, the market actually determines just about everything. Our city's knucklehead aldermen mistakenly believe they do
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #1185
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #1186
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #1187
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Not sure whether this info is newer or older than Mr. Downtown's news about Dowell and Columbia's MPC....

More at: http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...17&TM=76916.98
I really hope that Dowell doesn't obstruct Columbia's MPC in any way, but I definitely agree with her in that a Green Line stop between Roosevelt in 35th is GREATLY needed (far more than any current station improvements on the north side are needed).

I'm not 100% sure if this would be feasible or not, but I personally think that a great location for a new Green line stop would be directly above I-55. The north side of the stop could have a staircase that leads down to 24th Place and the south side of the stop could have a staircase that leads down to 25th street. People taking the north stairwell would get off close to McCormick Place (especially the West building), and would also be close to a lot of the new development in the area such as Motor Row, Lexington Park, the possible large hotel development by McCormick, and other new developments that are sure to come. People taking the south stairwell would get off very close to Mercy Hospital, and close to Eastgate Village, as well as the Olympic Village development which is supposedly going to happen regardless if we get the Olympics.

Besides this stop serving so many people, I think it would be kinda cool being directly over I-55 and being able to see the traffic go by from a birds-eye view, while waiting for your train. More importantly, this stop would greatly help expedite the development going on around McCormick Place. I'm sure that a Green line el stop at or close to I-55 will be contructed at some point - if we get the Olympics, it will probably be constructed even sooner.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #1188
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Vetro (and other buildings U/C in the background)

I don't know what convinced me to try this considering I really don't have anything special, but I might as well post it anyway
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #1189
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...ews_view_popup

AvalonBay Communities, Inc. Announces Third Quarter 2007 Operating Results
October 31, 2007 07:13 PM Eastern Time

The Company purchased a land parcel located in Chicago, IL for $23,000,000. The Company expects to begin construction of the first phase of a multi-phase community in 2008.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #1190
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Steel is fast! Crane at 642 South Clark is coming down today.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1191
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old November 11th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #1192
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

^Excellent point. But Daley Plaza also comes to mind. I wonder if exterior members can be left exposed if all interior members are enclosed.

Big weekend for cranes in the South Loop. Cranes came down at 542 South Clark and Library Tower, and a third one went up at the north end of the Roosevelt Collection.

And Ninth Street went in west of Clark last week--about 100 feet of it. Looks like they'll put in a cul-de-sac until it's extended under the Metra tracks.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; November 11th, 2007 at 09:12 PM.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #1193
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Big weekend for cranes in the South Loop. Cranes came down at 542 South Clark and Library Tower, and a third one went up at the north end of the Roosevelt Collection.
Man, 642 S. Clark was incredibly fast.

I would imagine the AMLI crane is going to come down any day now, since it seems like they're just finishing off the mechanicals on top (they've started on the garage now--it's looks like it's all prefab pieces they're just fitting together).

Burnham Pointe is getting pretty close to topped out too--only one or two more stories still to pour, I think. By the end of the month I bet S. Clark is pretty much crane-free, till the spring at least.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #1194
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
Burnham Pointe is getting pretty close to topped out too--only one or two more stories still to pour, I think.
Is it still sans glass? I really hope not.

I look forward to seeing AvalonBay go up. The little park in their siteplan is really annoying, but it'll be nice having some height in that area, and the lack of parking podium is refreshing.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #1195
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Is it still sans glass? I really hope not.
So far, yes. They've only got the barest exterior work done, and then only on about the lower half of floors.
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #1196
InTheLoopSam

Rokas Tower

There was a little talk over in the X/O thread that PDNA might now be supportive of the new Rokas Tower - thought I'd bring it over here.

People were talking about wanting to see a redesign of the X/O base. Although I like the Rokas Tower overall, this is one design that definitely needs to see a redesign of its base even more than X/O - the retro-trash townhomes they crudely tacked on (to appease PDNA-types) look absolutely ridiculous. Either a much more modern (as in the upper-third of the tower) or an industrial loft aesthetic for the lowest few stories would be far superior...
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #1197
ChicagoSchool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
So far, yes. They've only got the barest exterior work done, and then only on about the lower half of floors.
Burnham Pointe's brown panel exterior is absolutely horrendous! Hardly the color Daniel Burnham would've used.

Don't get me wrong: I love modern glass and steel structure. But when the opportunity exists, why not incorporate a color tone that is prevalent in the neighborhood? Deep red/maroon is both contemporary and historical, especially in Printers Row.

What a shame!
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #1198
Sir Isaac Newton

Went through Michigan Avenue tonight, between Roosevelt and 18th Street. First of all, I noticed that there is already some more street activity - especially further south - then I had noticed even just a few months or so ago (perhaps as a result from people moving into 1720 Michigan, Columbian, and Vision on State). I also noticed at least a few new stores/restaurants/small businesses on Michigan that I hadn't seen before. I saw an Italian restaurant and/or a french bisto, at about 13th on the east side of the street. And in general, it did look like a few businesses have set up shop recently on South Michigan avenue. Retail always follows residential, but it looks like perhaps the lag won't be as long as most people thought!
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #1199
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
Went through Michigan Avenue tonight, between Roosevelt and 18th Street. First of all, I noticed that there is already some more street activity - especially further south - then I had noticed even just a few months or so ago (perhaps as a result from people moving into 1720 Michigan, Columbian, and Vision on State). I also noticed at least a few new stores/restaurants/small businesses on Michigan that I hadn't seen before. I saw an Italian restaurant and/or a french bisto, at about 13th on the east side of the street. And in general, it did look like a few businesses have set up shop recently on South Michigan avenue. Retail always follows residential, but it looks like perhaps the lag won't be as long as most people thought!
Great! I hope the same will be true for Clark Street soon with Burnham Pointe, Amli, and 641 S Clark. And I hope with those 3 and Library Tower (and eventually One Place and Astoria) that Printers Row starts to look alive.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #1200
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
I saw an Italian restaurant and/or a french bisto, at about 13th on the east side of the street.
That Italian grocery/deli (can't remember the name) is really, really good. Takeout only, though.