daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #1201
Belacqua

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSchool View Post
Burnham Pointe's brown panel exterior is absolutely horrendous! Hardly the color Daniel Burnham would've used.
I have a hard time believing that that's the final color, but I may be wrong. Up close, those panels look extremely unfinished, as if they're there to hang some other material on. They also leave the concrete of the floors exposed, which also makes me think they're just some kind of backing.

This may just be wishful thinking, though.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #1202
ChicagoSchool

Check out the image here, from the developer site:

http://www.terrapingroup.com/tp/property.asp?prop=2

Crap-brown colored verticals shown here too. That's just plain heinous!
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #1203
Belacqua

Quote:
Crap-brown colored verticals shown here too. That's just plain heinous!
Wow, that's really too bad. At least it seems to recede somewhat when the glass is in.

(There's a bit of a yellow/mustard to the crap color, too, as if the owner is producing too much bile.)
Old November 20th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #1204
Sir Isaac Newton

Have people started moving into Vetro?

Have owners of units at Vetro started moving in? I did see a doorman on duty while I walked by Vetro, tonight (although I didn't notice any residents coming or going).
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #1205
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
Have owners of units at Vetro started moving in? I did see a doorman on duty while I walked by Vetro, tonight (although I didn't notice any residents coming or going).
Yep. I've seen TVs on at night in several units on the west side this week. I also saw some people going into Printers Corner who looked like they were more likely residents than salesfolk (it was a casually dressed couple at about 7:30pm, and the sales center closes at 5).

Futher cementing Burnham Pointe's popularity with the neighbors, there's a sign outside their sales center on the new fence around the chip-lot that says that the Christmas tree lot will be moving to like 5900 N. Clark this year.

Also, looks like they might be about to rip up the parking lot on Dearborn for the park in Printers Row.
Old November 20th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #1206
Chitowner245

^ Awesome news about the park.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #1207
ChicagoSchool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner245 View Post
^ Awesome news about the park.
They've closed down the free parking lot the park property had become the past several months.

Hopefully this is a first step toward the park construction soon.
Old November 20th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #1208
southloopscotty

Quote:
They've closed down the free parking lot the park property had become the past several months.

Hopefully this is a first step toward the park construction soon.
I saw that as well while walking the dogs last night. It'll be nice to see this come to fruition.
southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #1209
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by southloopscotty View Post
I saw that as well while walking the dogs last night. It'll be nice to see this come to fruition.
What exactly will the park be? Will it pretty much be a mirror of the plaza/park directly south of it, but without the fountain?
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:41 AM   #1210
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Mr. Downtown worked on it, I'm sure he can provide some details. The only thing I can remember is that he worked with artisans to design benches inspired by old-fashioned typeset, in a similar motif to the fountain.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:56 AM   #1211
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 844

There is a huge undeveloped land parcel in the Near South Side that is bounded by Roosevelt Road, Clark St., 18th St., and the Chicago River. There ain't anything in there but overgrown vegetation, access roads, abandoned railroads, bums, and natural wild life.

Midrise residential buildings along with some retail should be built on this site. Wells Street should be extended from the Loop to Chinatown. and there should be two bridges for Polk Street and Taylor Street over the Chicago River.

Several cheap parking lots that reach from Roosevelt Rd. to Polk Street lie north of the parcel. Some of these lots were the site of the failed River city development (which included three 68-story towers and a 14-story condominium building which was the only portion that was actually built). The site of the Grand Central Station was to be part of the River City development, also.

Can any project be proposed for the areas listed above? If no projects are proposed, I should get some ideas soon.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:56 AM   #1212
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
What exactly will the park be? Will it pretty much be a mirror of the plaza/park directly south of it, but without the fountain?

No, the fountain is the only thing that will remain of the current plaza. It's primarily a hardscape plaza, with no large turf areas that can be used for dogshit. There are some elevated areas with turf or other groundcover. Rather than a formal, symmetrical square, it recognizes that pedestrians are often cutting from northeast to southwest.

Here's a Chicago Journal story with rendering.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 08:09 AM   #1213
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Why the weird bend in Federal? Merely for traffic-calming? I'd be okay with it if there weren't two huge choke points at the entry and exit of the curve.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:29 PM   #1214
Ritchie Rich
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

You're over analyzing the drawing!
Federal is a one way street going south. It's basically a one lane street with parallel paking on both sides. The are no "choke" points on this stretch of street. Take a walk around the area and you'll see that traffic is not a problem there.

As to why the street bends, I don't know, but I'm curious about that too.
Ritchie Rich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM   #1215
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

That bend was put in when Printers Square was developed in 1982.

Anvan wanted Printers Square to have visibility from Dearborn, particularly for the ground-floor retail. So they bought and demolished a couple of small buildings on the west side of Dearborn, creating the little "park" where the fountain was later installed. Federal was pushed a little east there, I suppose to give them room for the flagpoles in front of Printers Square.
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:58 PM   #1216
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
There is a huge undeveloped land parcel in the Near South Side that is bounded by Roosevelt Road, Clark St., 18th St., and the Chicago River. There ain't anything in there but overgrown vegetation, access roads, abandoned railroads, bums, and natural wild life. . . . Can any project be proposed for the areas listed above? If no projects are proposed, I should get some ideas soon.
Google "riverside district chicago"
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM   #1217
ChicagoSchool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
That bend was put in when Printers Square was developed in 1982.

Anvan wanted Printers Square to have visibility from Dearborn, particularly for the ground-floor retail. So they bought and demolished a couple of small buildings on the west side of Dearborn, creating the little "park" where the fountain was later installed. Federal was pushed a little east there, I suppose to give them room for the flagpoles in front of Printers Square.
Thanks Mr DT, as always, for your input.

How many park benches will be included?
Old November 22nd, 2007, 02:51 PM   #1218
SouthLoop

Quote:
I was the second buyer to close at Vetro on November 8. Since then, they've been delivering about 5 units per week, I think. It's definitely a lonely place right now! I'll be glad when they get the carpet installed on my floor.

The sales office told me there may be a large mural or sculpture on the building's podium, on the Harrison street side; you can see where they haven't installed the glass panels. If it takes up that whole space, it will be huge. Hopefully it will be good. I haven't seen any renderings, but the artist would be the same as the one who designed the lobby artwork, of which you can see in the renderings on Vetro's web site www.vetrochicago.com.
SouthLoop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:42 PM   #1219
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Quote:
How many park benches will be included?
I'm not sure that there are any traditional park benches specified, but I'm also not sure there aren't. That wasn't something I was paying much attention to, and the plans have gone back and forth between the designer (Site Design Group) and the Park District several times for budgetary and other reasons. However, there are a couple of concentric partial circles of low concrete walls that will be seating height. Those are what I was trying to make look like pieces of printers type scattered around the plaza. But it was challenging, given the fabrication limitations, to keep those from looking like toddlers' blocks.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:15 PM   #1220
InTheLoopSam

Key Fioretti Quote from Wed. Trib

posted on XO - thought it also belongs here as their are certainly ward and downtown-wide implications:

direct Fioretti quote from the Tribune - "We need for development to cool down to keep the neighborhood hot." I posted this for anyone who doubts my contention that our new downtown aldermen intend to slowdown the development approval process (this is already evident in the very sparse Plan Commission agendas (for downtown high-rises) since late spring/early summer. Rather than being a sympton of the condo market slowdown or credit crunch (these impacts would show up more in groundbreakings for projects that are already entitled), the slow down in the entitlement process itself is more of a reflection of the new aldermen's desires to slow down development overall (what I sometimes call 'chasing the community consensus phantom') - I just didn't think I would get so lucky with a quote so explicitly expressing his intentions...

Also, what is Fioretti suggesting - that he thinks it's his role to interfere with the free market in order to prop up prices or something? Folks - I'm telling you - this is a very misguided individual trying to make some sort of mark...