daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #1241
southloopscotty

Likes (Received): 0

One Place

Only four more floors to go! Today they poured my floor!

southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #1242
ChicagoSchool

Congrats Scotty. You know the retail going in? The gym's pretty exciting.
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #1243
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

That's funny, this morning I looked across the street at One Place and thought (honestly, I did) "I wonder if Scott knows exactly where his unit is and can watch them actually pour the concrete for his floors?" I'm glad you were off today to see it.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #1244
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Hey Scott (if I can call you that) - would you mind posting a larger version of that photo?

It's been several months since I've been down in the South Loop; the last time I saw One Place, it was barely above ground, and I haven't seen any photos since. It's a great building - it fills the lot lines and DOESN'T have a huge life-sucking parking podium along the street.

How is Astoria doing? Has it risen above ground yet?
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #1245
Prairie Avenue

For current views there is a live construction camera tab at the developer website.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #1246
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

One Place a few minutes ago:

Astoria's columns are all out of the ground (you can see two or three in this picture). The elevator core is at the second level.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #1247
Chicagotom

PA do you mind posting the developers link?

I would like to see the webcam.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #1248
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:31 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #1249
ChicagoSchool

OnePlace/XSport hopefully will attract an athletic retailer (ideally independent), e.g., FleetFeet. South Loop sorely missing such. And with the popularity of the lakefront for running, OnePlace could be a prime spot.

And if Columbia's upcoming student center includes an exercise gym...
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #1250
southloopscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
That's funny, this morning I looked across the street at One Place and thought (honestly, I did) "I wonder if Scott knows exactly where his unit is and can watch them actually pour the concrete for his floors?" I'm glad you were off today to see it.

Thanks for thinking of us!
It sure is nice to see them making some progress! It was a bit painful there for a while when work stopped! We were sent something about two months ago telling us the building will be completed in early spring.

Thanks for posting the more recent picture!
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #1251
southloopscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSchool View Post
Congrats Scotty. You know the retail going in? The gym's pretty exciting.

I haven't heard of anything else other than the gym. I think someone here mentioned a Starbucks going in at the corner of 8th and State.
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #1252
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Fioretti: "We need good, comprehensive development..."

See, I can do it too - what would you think if I only quoted that part? Context is everything. Consider it next time.... I hate when people take things out of context and then twist it to suit their agendas. It is a modern phenomenon created by the sound byte. I pray it dies soon.

I see you don't get it either. Again - in this particular instance, context is nothing. These are two totally separate, inconsistent thoughts that were spouted out, which have nothing to do with each other. In most cases, context is important - sometimes very important, in some cases it is a little important, and in a few cases (such as this example) there is virtually no importance...
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #1253
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
I don't think that Fioretti should try to block the development because unless there are extreme circumstances present (like huge safety risks, pollution risks, etc.) I don't think any alderman should have such power to block a development - whether it be a two-tower residential development such as X/O or a two story bank.

I personally think that this bank is a pretty bad use of land, given it's prominent location...but at the same time, I'm not going to waste my time going around the neighborhood getting signatures to try to stop it. I am certainly all for Fioretti working with the bank to try to convince them to improve their existing plans (such as eliminating many if not all surface parking, to add more space/floors that could be leased out to other retailers) but I don't think he should in any way try to prevent the development from occurring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
I almost forgot - while I am not calling for Fioretti to block the bank development and thus am not being "intellectually inconsistent", Fioretti certainly is being intellectually inconsistent. He talks about "good, comprehensive development planning" to support his extreme actions with X/O, but this bank exhibits much worse comprehensive development planning than X/O, by far...and from everything I've seen, Fioretti hasn't done anything about it. I guess since a few Prairie District misfits complained to him about X/O, he decided to do something in that situation, as there were a few voters he could pander to.

Yes, yes, yes and yes. What I think most of all this boils down to is if you want a boisterous, overbearing, heavy-handed local legislator trying to centrally plan your neighborhood economy, or if you like a lighter hand, someone who works with markets and actually believes they work…

I too think the 1 or 2 story bank is a monumentally inefficient, wasteful and frankly downright stupid use of prime urban land. However, attempting to block it would be a blatant abuse of power, just as in the case of X/O…..
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #1254
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Well, drive-thrus are not permitted in DC and DR districts, and require special use permits in DX and DS districts. I suppose they could simply be forbidden, as strip centers are.
They had a sign outside this development about a year ago giving notice of filing of an application for Special Use for the drive-thru. It seems often projects that go in for a drive-thru are scrutinized beyond the criteria for the drive-thru. Everyone is throwing up their arms now, but there was an opportunity before to stop this and if flew under the radar.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #1255
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Yay! They finally got rid of those awful townhomes.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #1256
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

What building is this?
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #1257
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

^I was just about to ask the same question. This one has slipped under my radar.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #1258
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Great news - definitely an improvement at the base!
I'd really like to see this tower move forward.
Will PDNA play the obstructionist?
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #1259
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:30 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #1260
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

Definite improvement regarding the townhomes. More reminiscent of the Museum Park Place ones, a little more modern looking and fits in better with the main structure. However, it looks quite a bit shorter, theyve lopped of the entire portion above the second setback on the first design. Maybe PDNA has already had some say.

Also since their battle vs X/O is practically done with, they may focus their hate on this new one. Fortunately its far enough away from their little historical district their arguments will be somewhat dilluted.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote