daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #1261
InTheLoopSam

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by robituss View Post
Definite improvement regarding the townhomes. More reminiscent of the Museum Park Place ones, a little more modern looking and fits in better with the main structure. However, it looks quite a bit shorter, theyve lopped of the entire portion above the second setback on the first design. Maybe PDNA has already had some say.

Also since their battle vs X/O is practically done with, they may focus their hate on this new one. Fortunately its far enough away from their little historical district their arguments will be somewhat dilluted.

Damn! I totally missed the reduction in height - must have been too seduced by the size of the rendering, the different perspective and of course the improved townhome design (which after looking at for some time I realize it's not great but still better than the previous design, which looked absolutely ridiculous). The reduced height sucks because it would have added some needed 'pop' to the skyline in the far-south Loop. Now I fear the height will be too similar to Lexington Park and perhaps just slightly taller than 2100 and Museum Park Place South as well.....this of course leads to that ugly phenomenon known as the 'blocky skyline effect' where you just have too many structures that are too similar in height, lacking the significant height diversity that really contributes to an area's visual appeal. I can't stand it when neighborhood groups and old-fashioned planning types are attracted by, and lobby for conformity to prevailing height in the neighborhood for new developments...it's simply wrongheaded and makes for poor urban design...

All that being said, I still like this tower overall....

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #1262
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

^Look at the bright side, X/Os north tower, and south one too probably, will certainly have that pop to the skyline when they are built. In more ways than one too. I still think the Rokas building will add some needed density to that area, and there is still so much space in the south loop; we'll be seeing new buildings for decades. Dont forget the McCormick hotel either. I wouldnt worry about any plateau effect just yet.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #1263
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robituss View Post
However, it looks quite a bit shorter, theyve lopped of the entire portion above the second setback on the first design. Maybe PDNA has already had some say.
There isn't a major change in height - count floors. 37 on the old vs. 33 on the new. The parking podium lost one story (always a plus), the brick portion above it gained 5 stories, and the glassy part lost 8 stories, for a net decrease of 4 (only about 45 feet, or 11%).
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #1264
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:50 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #1265
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
I have heard some buzz that PDNA is completely opposed to this development, and having some success too. Bummer.

NIMBY success on any development issue in the South Loop no longer surprises me, now that they have a confirmed professional panderer as their representative in the City Council....
Old November 30th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #1266
Prairie Avenue

PDNA Nimbys v. Rokas

While I understand the propensity to rumor monger against PDNA would like to know where the "buzz" is coming from. Get better sources -- PDNA and Rokas have worked cooperatively on this project.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #1267
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:48 AM   #1268
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoopSam View Post
Damn! I totally missed the reduction in height - must have been too seduced by the size of the rendering, the different perspective and of course the improved townhome design (which after looking at for some time I realize it's not great but still better than the previous design, which looked absolutely ridiculous). The reduced height sucks because it would have added some needed 'pop' to the skyline in the far-south Loop. Now I fear the height will be too similar to Lexington Park and perhaps just slightly taller than 2100 and Museum Park Place South as well.....this of course leads to that ugly phenomenon known as the 'blocky skyline effect' where you just have too many structures that are too similar in height, lacking the significant height diversity that really contributes to an area's visual appeal. I can't stand it when neighborhood groups and old-fashioned planning types are attracted by, and lobby for conformity to prevailing height in the neighborhood for new developments...it's simply wrongheaded and makes for poor urban design...

All that being said, I still like this tower overall....
An actual mention of my building?? Thank goodness!! I was beginning to think it was just a figment of my imagination!

I'm happy to see the new design of 2020 only loses 4 floors. Anyone know the height? I know Lexington Park is supposed to be the tallest building south of 13th St. (at least thats what they claim).

Last edited by skobabe8; December 1st, 2007 at 06:03 PM.
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 04:35 PM   #1269
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:02 PM   #1270
skobabe8

Quote:
Skobabe8,

Do you happen to know what percentage sold 2100 is?
As of 3 or 4 weeks ago:

20/42 lofts have been sold and around 40/163 condos. I dont pretend to be an expert on sales or marketing, but it seems to me that 2100 isnt as well known as some other projects in the south loop. They should pay me for trying to spread the word.

By the way, if anyone is interested: http://www.2100condos.com/
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM   #1271
skobabe8

Loopy,

Is 2020 dead?
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1272
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #1273
Chicagotom

A few of 1600MP on Sunday. Cold and wet day.

This is Marquee on Michigan
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #1274
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
You've said that before, and because I generally trust your info, I was surprised to hear the opposite recently from someone else in a position to know.

Time will tell.

Edit: I'm sure you are correct that PDNA and the developer of 2020 "were" cooperating; That would explain the revised design. But, is it possible that things have changed recently?
There was a post or two here that Rokas had cozied up with a PDNA member in order to gain their support for 2020, not from me mind you. I have no information that PDNA had anything to do with 2020 fortunes sinking, and would be interested in any information contrary to that.

I hadn't heard that 2020 was dead either though, so perhaps I am out of this loop loopy.

My understanding is that Rokas and PDNA met and discussed changes and that Rokas had their support going forward. I would hate to see PDNA scapegoated in those circumstances for what perhaps market forces caused.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #1275
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Avenue View Post
There was a post or two here that Rokas had cozied up with a PDNA member in order to gain their support for 2020, not from me mind you. I have no information that PDNA had anything to do with 2020 fortunes sinking, and would be interested in any information contrary to that.

I hadn't heard that 2020 was dead either though, so perhaps I am out of this loop loopy.

My understanding is that Rokas and PDNA met and discussed changes and that Rokas had their support going forward. I would hate to see PDNA scapegoated in those circumstances for what perhaps market forces caused.

If true that, as suggested, the political climate in the South Loop was at least partly responsible for Rokas investors bailing, PDNA certainly deserves some of the blame (granted Fioretti himself deserves the vast majority of blame), but most importantly these would not be "market forces"
Old December 5th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #1276
HowardL

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom View Post
This is Marquee on Michigan
Wow ... that is truly something.
HowardL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #1277
ChicagoSchool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardL View Post
Wow ... that is truly something.
HA!

Thanks Howard for that laugh
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #1278
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Oh my god... is that picture unaltered? If that's the color the building has on an extremely overcast day, I don't want to think about how obnoxious it will look in full sun.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #1279
ChicagoSchool

To all architects, developers, et al:

Please no more brown, tan, or orange building facades in Chicago. Not even a little, like Burnham Pointe does.

Instead, glass and steel is preferred, but if brick or concrete is required please use the remaining colors (such as dark red, maroon) that has historically been utilized in the great urban setting we reside in.
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #1280
Chicago2020

bump
Chicago2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote