daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #1281
Chicagotom

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Oh my god... is that picture unaltered? If that's the color the building has on an extremely overcast day, I don't want to think about how obnoxious it will look in full sun.
Yeah that’s the unfortunate real deal. No alteration.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #1282
Chicago2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSchool View Post
To all architects, developers, et al:

Please no more brown, tan, or orange building facades in Chicago. Not even a little, like Burnham Pointe does.

Instead, glass and steel is preferred, but if brick or concrete is required please use the remaining colors (such as dark red, maroon) that has historically been utilized in the great urban setting we reside in.
whats the matter...dont you like BROWN/TAN BUILDINGS!!!!

Chicago2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #1283
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Obviously Grand Plaza and Marquee are pieces of shit, but I kinda like the brown tower they built in K Station. It blends in well with the old lofts around it.

The paint scheme on Vision on State and Allure @ K Station look to be a lot less obnoxious than Marquee.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #1284
ChicagoSchool

The orange-brick Library Tower, in particular, is disappointing also. Especially as the Chicago Public Library stands nicely across the street, ignored as a reference.

The masterful Monadnock Building wins the prize for best Chicago midrise brick-clad.

Near Allure, the Kinzie Station (?) painted concrete structure completed about 8 yrs ago is visually pleasing. Baffles me why that maroon/black scheme can't be duplicated in the S Loop
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #1285
Chicagotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSchool View Post
The orange-brick Library Tower, in particular, is disappointing also. Especially as the Chicago Public Library stands nicely across the street, ignored as a reference.

The masterful Monadnock Building wins the prize for best Chicago midrise brick-clad.
I agree with you on the disappointing brick on Library Tower. But I have to disagree with " masterful" Monadnock. If you take a close look at the Southern 1/2 or the block which was renovated in the 80s. It looks like they used cement cinder blocks and painted them brown. No comparison to the Northern 1/2, which I agree is fantastic.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #1286
Belacqua

The Burnham Pointe sales trailer had a stop-work order on it a few weeks ago (for construction sans permit), which is now mostly gone, but the office doesn't seem to have reopened that I've seen. Anybody know what's going on with that?
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #1287
Ritchie Rich
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Regardless of any signs on the sales trailer, construction has not stopped at the site. In fact, many of the past weekends have seen full actvity on Saturdays.

At this point the construction site and the sales trailer are two totally different worlds with different schedules and different spheres of influence.

Furthermore, if there were a stop work notice from the city of Chicago, it would be posted at all entrances to the construction site with little to no regard for a sales center office. The field office for the construction project manager is located on an upper floor of the Blackies building and not in the sales trailer.
Ritchie Rich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #1288
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:48 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #1289
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
I think he is implying that the stop-work order is directed at the sales trailer not being properly permitted, and that same sales trailer being, lately, dark.
Correct. I wasn't saying or implying anything about the building itself. I'm just wondering why they haven't dealt with whatever's wrong with the sales trailer for several weeks. And also why it was open for several months before they got hit with the stop-work.

On the building itself, glass is in up to about the sixth floor on the alley side.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #1290
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #1291
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
My guess is that Five-O heard a good many complaints about the cherished "Chip Lot" being hijacked by evil Developers and did what he could to salve the wounds of his electorate.
Those damn NIMBY's! I'd rather have that lot being used for a developer's sales office as opposed to being used for a dog-poop haven
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #1292
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
My guess is that Five-O heard a good many complaints about the cherished "Chip Lot" being hijacked by evil Developers and did what he could to salve the wounds of his electorate.
Have you seen the trailer? It is horrendous. It sits in a very visible spot and clashes against the historic buildings of Printer's Row. The trailer for Roosevelt Collection is a good example how a trailer can look respectable to the surrounding neighborhood. It would have been nice if they opened the sales center in one of the vacant storefronts on Dearborn.

The chip lot has been a community amenity for use in the farmer's market, christmas tree sales lot, and meeting place while your dog takes a dump in the chips.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #1293
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Obviously Grand Plaza and Marquee are pieces of shit, but I kinda like the brown tower they built in K Station. It blends in well with the old lofts around it.

The paint scheme on Vision on State and Allure @ K Station look to be a lot less obnoxious than Marquee.
Well, are you going to like 6 of those brown K-Station towers bunched together? It's a piece of vertical shit.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #1294
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:19 AM   #1295
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Well, are you going to like 6 of those brown K-Station towers bunched together? It's a piece of vertical shit.
Allure is tan. The Residences is brown. I haven't seen a color rendering of the new towers, so I have no idea how those will be painted.

My point is that a brown color scheme if done properly can complement existing loft and warehouse buildings, without resorting to full-blown imitation (which architects seem to hate). I'm not suggesting we do all new construction in this shade, but it would be nice to re-paint some of the River North towers brown to add some variety.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:07 PM   #1296
Prairie Avenue

PDNA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
Have you seen the trailer? It is horrendous. It sits in a very visible spot and clashes against the historic buildings of Printer's Row.
The chip lot has been a community amenity for use in the farmer's market, christmas tree sales lot, and meeting place while your dog takes a dump in the chips.
You think you got problems with Prairie Avenue? Now sale trailers have to fit with the character of the neighborhood? And urine soaked dump stained chips are a valued community meeting place? You can't make it 100 yards to Dearborn Park?
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:47 PM   #1297
slooparch

Likes (Received): 5

Have to admit, Prairie, that's a good call....
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:12 AM   #1298
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM   #1299
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Speaking of good ole Prairie Avenue, I would like to retract a rumor I reported here a few weeks ago.

You challenged me on my report that 2020 was likely cancelled due to neighborhood opposition. You said that the PDNA were working in good faith with the developer of that project, and that my "source" was bunk.

I have to admit now that you were right. I have heard from others that PDNA was not the bad guy here as I reported. My apologies.

Even if the developer can't get the tower built, I'd like for him to at least get the property rezond.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #1300
Prairie Avenue

Bonnie McGrath, Voice of Dearborn Park

Check out her article in today's Chicago Journal.

She mourns the loss of the Pacific Garden Mission and declares the "homes, the highrises and the Potbelly's and the Sam's and the Zapitistas and the Bongo Rooms have won the race for the future of the neighborhood."

And you guys bash the Prairie Avenue folks?
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote