daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #1301
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Avenue View Post
Check out her article in today's Chicago Journal.
Here's the link to the editorial.

I found this statement particularly interesting/whacky:

"When the haves outnumber the have-nots, when the have-nots can no longer call a place home, it's like a welcome sign that a neighborhood may be a place to cause trouble. That it may be easy pickings."
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #1302
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Oh, "voice of Dearborn Park" is a bit of a stretch.

Like any columnist, she has a column to fill up. So she sometimes carries little thoughts to goofy conclusions to fill up space. Ruminating about the changes occurring in the neighborhood is not the same as bemoaning them.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #1303
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:46 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #1304
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Old December 28th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #1305
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Old December 28th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #1306
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Yup, that's a really nice one--one of my favorite south loop highrises to break ground in a while. I love how the parking podium is handled; is that 2 levels of retail I'm seeing there?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #1307
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
The South Loop will always attract down-and-out transient people. Located between Grant Park and the bustling Loop, transients have, and will continue to find it a decent environment to hang out in.
I'm not sure it's naturally any more of a draw than the North Loop or West Loop--which was once the site of an enormous Skid Row. Traditionally, down-and-outers clustered around the Levee District and the train stations, and several rescue missions opened to minister to them; PGM was the last one remaining. But they turned the guys out every morning at 7 am, hoping, I suppose, that they would find work on the Wabash Railroad extra board. Instead, the smart ones learned that the college students were soft touches and the drug-addled ones just sat in the park or library all day, staring into space.

Anyway, the new PGM is supposed to have job-training and other activities so they don't turn the men out every morning. And those who do go begging will find UIC in easier walking distance.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #1308
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Like any columnist, she has a column to fill up. So she sometimes carries little thoughts to goofy conclusions to fill up space. Ruminating about the changes occurring in the neighborhood is not the same as bemoaning them.
Filling a column is no excuse for vapid thoughts. Her Gatsbyesque yearning for the Mission Light is based on a series of ridiculous conclusions. Here's my take -- she and the old timers in that area can't let go of their claim to fame as urban pioneers. Clearly, that status is long gone. So they yearn for the past which was so much worse area wide than the present. Bottom line is that it comes across as if they wanted the South Loop to standstill once Dearborn II was finished.

Unlike her, I went into the PGM on several occassions. The place was a hell hole. There is no comparison to the new facility. But that apparently doesn't matter.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #1309
ChicagoSchool

Bonnie McGrath: "homes, the highrises and the Potbelly's and the Sam's and the Zapitistas and the Bongo Rooms have won the race for the future of the neighborhood."

In a future column I'd be interested in a more detailed piece of Bonnie's view on what "the race for the future of the neighborhood" should've been, besides just PGM staying. She states she'll miss the safety the PGM main entrance provided. Well, safety will also exist at the entrance of a CPS magnet school. Too much eggnog, Bonnie?

Jones College Prep has a sterling academic record and deserves expansion. PGM will thrive in its new location, so its a win-win.
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #1310
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=27585

Firm sues Augunas over fees
By Eddie Baeb

Condominium developer Andrius Augunas has been sued by a real estate firm that claims it is owed more than $350,000 in fees for its work related to Mr. Augunas’ nine-story Motor Row project in the South Loop.

Sedgwick Properties Development Corp., a condo developer that also does consulting work, filed a lawsuit last week in Cook County Circuit Court alleging breach of contract against Mr. Augunas, his company Rokas International Inc., and the firm that provided Motor Row’s construction loan, Pasadena, Calif.-based IndyMac Bank.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #1311
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

A few more renderings of GlasHaus

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #1312
southloopscotty

Quote:
Filling a column is no excuse for vapid thoughts. Her Gatsbyesque yearning for the Mission Light is based on a series of ridiculous conclusions. Here's my take -- she and the old timers in that area can't let go of their claim to fame as urban pioneers. Clearly, that status is long gone. So they yearn for the past which was so much worse area wide than the present. Bottom line is that it comes across as if they wanted the South Loop to standstill once Dearborn II was finished.

Unlike her, I went into the PGM on several occassions. The place was a hell hole. There is no comparison to the new facility. But that apparently doesn't matter.

I agree with you, the place was a dump. The new facility is also more family and female friendly.
southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #1313
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

I actually just went there on Sunday to deliver blankets (and then proceeded to an all-black pentecostal church service, which was interesting to say the least, as I'm a white teen) and even having been to the old one as well, I can say that its a LOT cleaner and well-kept then the old one. Still, its showing signs of wear and tear already.
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #1314
Chicagotom

The new PGM on Canal consolidated 2 facilities; the one on State that gave shelter to over 1000 men every night and one for women and children up near Milwaukee and Halsted.

Boris - Nice job.
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #1315
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

Actually, its mostly my Dad, who runs Warm Wishes, which delivers blankets to homeless people. Sometimes I go with to go deliver blankets for shelters or for people (which is why I can confidently say I'm the only one at my school who's been to 112th and Michigan twice) or someitmes we go "hobo-hunting" which was also part of the PGM trip, to lower Stetson, Wacker, Randolph.
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #1316
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

To our south loop, PDNA forumers, I thought I'd bring a post I made at SSP to your attention. It is in regards to a hotel proposal near McCormick Place and the planned demolition of historic structures to accommodate it. Below you will find a post (and pics) by Jaroslaw, followed by a response by me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslaw View Post
That's a real pity about the Alter site(s). On both the north corners of Cermak and Prairie, half block to the west of this, there are large short worthless buildings...

This is the guy in question, McCormick 2007 is behind me:

From the west:

^ I can't think of a more horrible thing than to tamper with this lovely streetscape, especially when there is ample available land to develop on.

I have long admired this little area along Prarie and Cermak, and have considered its beauty a potential "spark" to development around it, and instead we have the potential to see it destroyed for NO reason. These buildings create a wonderful streetscape as a group, and the whole effect is greatly diminished by demolishing one of them and keeping the other behind.

If PDNA really gives 2 shits about their lovely, so-called "historic streetscape" instead of paying it lip-service whilst essentially being another anti-highrise NIMBY group, then this is their call to action, IMO. If you REALLY care about the character of your neighborhood as opposed to simply trying to keep automobile counts low without regard to appearances, then this demolition is worth protesting.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #1317
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

WHOLEHEARTEDLY seconded.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #1318
Prairie Avenue

[QUOTE=The Urban Politician;17530779]To our south loop, PDNA forumers, I thought I'd bring a post I made at SSP to your attention. It is in regards to a hotel proposal near McCormick Place and the planned demolition of historic structures to accommodate it. Below you will find a post (and pics) by Jaroslaw, followed by a response by me:
QUOTE]

This forum has banned the most prominent PDNA spokesperson here. Kind of hard for "them" to respond in those cirumstances.

I agree that the building and streetscape there is worhty of preservation, but having walked by there constantly can't recall any activity in that building. What happened to let the market decide development?
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #1319
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I agree that the building and streetscape there is worhty of preservation, but having walked by there constantly can't recall any activity in that building. What happened to let the market decide development?
Please. What happened to smart development? Noone here argues against preservation for cases like this, we argue against view preservation and other such nonsense. if something is to be built at the expense of an important building, of course posters on here will recognize that.

I dont think PDNA cares because they are a NIMBY group, pure and simple. The proposed buildings are not tall enough to draw their ire and block their views, and far enough away since they are on Cermak.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #1320
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by robituss View Post
Please. What happened to smart development? Noone here argues against preservation for cases like this, we argue against view preservation and other such nonsense. if something is to be built at the expense of an important building, of course posters on here will recognize that.

I dont think PDNA cares because they are a NIMBY group, pure and simple. The proposed buildings are not tall enough to draw their ire and block their views, and far enough away since they are on Cermak.
So why is it up to PDNA? What are people here doing to preserve this particular building? PDNA has a pretty focused charter and this is outside those boundaries isn't it?