daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:35 AM   #121
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 03:47 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #122
Sir Isaac Newton

I guess this is pretty minor, but walking by the Astoria Tower site today I noticed that 9th Street was blocked off and that there was a sign for a city project to improve 9th Street between State and Michigan. Does anyone know exactly what this will entail? I'm guessing new sidewalks, adding a few small bushes, etc. but is it any more involved than that?
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #123
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

It's a standard CDOT streetscaping project, which has been in the works for a couple years. They're rebuilding sidewalks, curb cuts, new planters and light standards. This seemed a bit silly to me, given that 5/8 of the project is about to be closed and then reconstructed for new residential projects (Astoria, Park Michigan, Park 1000, unnamed Northern project) but CDOT forged ahead. (At campaign events, Ald. Haithcock brings up the new little 9th Street median in Dearborn Park as her big accomplishment).

The flowerbed fences will have a little flower cast into them. I had suggested a memorial wreath as a historic tie-in to the statue of Logan (inventor of Memorial Day) but someone at CDOT rejected that as "morbid."

A big project on Michigan Avenue also gets under way this year, I think.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #124
High Life on LSD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

__
High Life on LSD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #125
High Life on LSD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

[QUOTE=High Life on LSD;12489561]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
This seemed a bit silly to me, given that 5/8 of the project is about to be closed and then reconstructed for new residential projects (Astoria, Park Michigan, Park 1000, unnamed Northern project) but CDOT forged ahead. .

Good point dude
High Life on LSD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:56 AM   #126
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #127
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Oh yeah, the Smithfield project. PRB is right, this block will really come to life. I have a lot of students in my area of the neighborhood, and I have to say that they really keep the place from being a boring residential condo-opolis.

Go Columbia, keep the South Loop weird!
Wow. That is the first time I have seen the rendering. I had heard that Pat's was going to move into the northern building and that they would demolish and build a new building - but I never imagined that they would build a 14-15 story building that wraps around the northern building!

I agree... I like the students in the neighborhood. Daley has been pushing for additional student housing and I know a large amount of students live in my building because there are not enough dorms. Maybe they should build a dorm across from the Transportation Building? Then they might not necessarily need to build a parking podium on that lot becuase it is too skinny to have parking above the first floor once you consider the ramps required (not to mention that the first floor should be parking). The only other thing I can think could do well there is a hotel (I don't think office would do OK there).
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #128
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
Wow. That is the first time I have seen the rendering. I had heard that Pat's was going to move into the northern building and that they would demolish and build a new building - but I never imagined that they would build a 14-15 story building that wraps around the northern building!

I agree... I like the students in the neighborhood. Daley has been pushing for additional student housing and I know a large amount of students live in my building because there are not enough dorms. Maybe they should build a dorm across from the Transportation Building? Then they might not necessarily need to build a parking podium on that lot becuase it is too skinny to have parking above the first floor once you consider the ramps required (not to mention that the first floor should be parking). The only other thing I can think could do well there is a hotel (I don't think office would do OK there).
I agree that the students are a great thing for the neighborhood, as well. And I also agree that a good use of the parking lot across the street from the Transportation Building would be another super-dorm building!
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #129
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #130
Sir Isaac Newton

River City is definitely one building that has contributed to the inventory of newly constructed/rehabbed condos. Not sure if you would be interested in buying there or not, but I have noticed signs on the building, recently, that mention that they are auctioning off their remaining unsold condos in the near future.
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #131
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

If you want a good laugh...

http://www.nearwestgazette.com/Archi...story0407e.htm

Construction too loud on Clark St., neighbors charge

By Sarah Severson

New construction is a common sight in the South Loop, and with it comes the expected noise and annoyance to those living in and around it. Residents living close to a highrise condo and retail development going up at 710 S. Clark St. have suffered more than their share of disturbance, however. For months, jarring noise and vibration have been constants as construction workers have pounded 95-foot steel beams known as H-piles into the ground on a daily basis from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. since the end of December.

The project, managed by Terrapin Group and constructed by the Walsh Group, originally called for using a much quieter and cheaper process of drilling rather than pounding the beams into the building’s foundation. The drilling method carried greater risk, though, so in the end the project was required to use H-piles. The City’s approval process relied on soil borings and dimension surveys to choose between the two methods.

“That area is built on a swamp, and when you excavate out, you take the potential of caving in,” said Rob Eshoo, vice president of construction at Terrapin Group. “The H-piles were more money, but design-wise and from the City’s perspective, it was less risky.”

The City requires a monitoring system, with sensors on the site, the street, and nearby properties to gauge vibration levels from the pounding. A company representative oversees the project on the site each day, so Terrapin is well aware of the noise and disruption.

“There is a double-edged sword of new development,” Eshoo said. “It’s a slight inconvenience at the time, but when everyone’s property values go up they don’t come thank us.”

Eshoo estimated pile pounding will finish in mid-April, weather permitting. Despite further construction, the noise level will plunge after the piles are in.

“We just want to get the beams in quickly,” he added. “Once it’s done everyone can appreciate and enjoy the amenities—the retail and the new homeowners will be an upside down the road for the neighborhood.”

The pounding’s inconvenience has been far more than “slight” for many residents who are home during the day. Carla Shortino lives at 124 W. Polk St., right next to the construction, and was home with her three-year-old and two-week-old baby when the pounding began. She ended up relocating to her sister’s house for five weeks because she could not tolerate the noise.

“My nerves were fried and I was freaked out that it was going to upset my kids,” she said. “I wanted to be home, but it was really traumatic for me. The building was shaking so bad, and you could feel the floor and building vibrate with every pound.”

When Shortino returned home to more pounding, friends who are away at work all day gave her their keys so she could stay at their homes during the day. While a relief, she still had to bundle her two young children up each morning and stay away from home all day.

“The first week of this, it was blizzarding and so awful,” she said. “I even called a lawyer to see if there was anything I could do, but he said I would probably be wasting my money. This situation really put a hardship on us.”

Another nearby resident, Tammy Sarver, a political science professor at Benedictine University, said she used to write from home on Fridays but has had to work at coffee shops since the pounding began.

“The pounding sounds like someone has taken all of the pots and pans in the kitchen and is banging them in my head,” Sarver said. “I can’t write when I hear clanging all day.”

Sarver is so tired of the construction noise she has decided to move.

“If this is going to continue to happen, I’m not staying—I’m moving where there is no room to build,” she said. “Luckily I can get out of here easier than other people here because I’m a renter.”

Martin Plummer, who lives in a building at Clark and Polk Streets, said he understands noise comes with new construction but is upset nevertheless.

“I hate nuisances, especially those that I don’t give my approval or consent to.” Plummer said. “I don’t remember anyone passing around a survey asking if I’d object. Within the scope of a mile of my building there are six major construction projects going on.”

Danny Scollan, a realtor who also lives in the area, said he faced challenges selling properties close to the construction project.

“It’s difficult because no one wants to move in with the prospect of that noise constantly right next to them,” he said. “The growth is good for real estate, but a lot of realtors think it’s too much and that there is no regulation to keep the noise to a minimum. Constant noise pounding for months on end can drive someone insane.”

Parson Brown is a film major at Columbia College who lives around the corner from the construction. He said he has to wear headphones to get anything done whiles at home during the day.

“Normally I’d like to sleep later, so the only positive thing is that the noise wakes me up,” Brown said. “Usually I have to blast music into my ears when I’m doing homework. For several months it’s been all day, every day.”

Susan Delhey is one resident who has taken action, writing letters to Terrapin Properties and contacting the City about her concerns. She has a one-year-old child who does not sleep during the day due to the pounding and then is up at night because her sleep pattern is thrown off.

“I’m surprised it passes the City’s noise decibel limit—I can’t believe the City hasn’t done something about this,” she said.

A representative from Terrapin replied to Delhey’s letters with sympathy but no action. Delhey has contacted 2nd Ward Alderman Madeleine Haithcock, who agreed an ordinance governing this type of noise is needed. She plans to talk to the Mayor about the situation, said the Alderman’s spokesperson Cynthia Young.

“It’s very disconcerting to say the least,” Young said.

For now, the project does abide by current rules stating construction should occur between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.

There’s not really anything the City would be able to do in terms of the noise,” said the City’s Department of Environment spokesperson Larry Merit.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #132
Chicagotom

Martin Plummer, who lives in a building at Clark and Polk Streets, said he understands noise comes with new construction but is upset nevertheless.

“I hate nuisances, especially those that I don’t give my approval or consent to.” Plummer said. “I don’t remember anyone passing around a survey asking if I’d object. Within the scope of a mile of my building there are six major construction projects going on.”

This guy sounds like a pompus putz! PLEASE MOVE TO NAPERVILLE
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #133
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Yes, River City still has a few left (I think 4). The auction is April 24 http://www.ricklevin.com/REAuctionDetail.asp?val=177.

That is a case where the units were overpriced and/or undesirable (many would consider River City a disaster of an investment).

Printers Square has a few units left (out of 356, that is pretty good). There are not a lot of buildings north of Roosevelt that have units available today.

I am not worried at all for this neighborhood. As the buildings get completed, they should sell quickly.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #134
Chitowner245

^ I don't want to hear this crap! I was awakened every day for two months from pile driving at 1400 museum park, now I have to listen to the pile driving at michigan ave tower II, but I know it's for the good of the community, and I've enjoyed watching this construction over time. The noise is only bad until 6pm- no big deal! These complainers make me sick, and they don't realize that this construction can be good for their property values once completed, and have even greater benefits for the local community and the city as a whole. Morons.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #135
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #136
Sir Isaac Newton

I live right across the street from Burnham Pointe in 780 South Federal....when they were driving Piles, it was somewhat loud, but anyone who views the construction as "traumatic" probably has some serious issues. I also find it ridiculous that people actually have the nerve to complain about construction nearby their own mid/high-rise condo buildings. How do they think their own buildings came to be? These people take selfishness and stupidity to a whole different level!
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #137
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

River City is American Invesco's biggest debacle. They started out with very unrealistic pricing, spent millions to advertise, and did nothing to really update or improve the facilities. Now they can’t give them away. Not shocking that they are going to auction.

If you go to the main lobby, it looks like a bankrupt 1980s suburban shopping mall. There is no hint that any effort was made to improve the ghost town like space. And the 1980s chrome ceiling and wall treatments are falling apart.

I want to feel sorry for the unfortunate people who did buy there (although most of them are investors), but they had to see this coming. Now they are stuck with outdated units that they almost can’t give away because there are so many (currently more than 40 units) are on the market. They certainly have not benefited from the increase in values in the surrounding neighborhood.

I am a big fan of architect Bertrand Goldberg’s other work (including Marina City), but River City was a complete failure. Perhaps if the other 80% of the gigantic project had been built, and there were thousands of more apartments, it would have been OK… But then again, perhaps not.

You couldn't pay me to live there.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #138
Chitowner245

^ I'll live there for money! I'll get paid to live anywhere other than a cardboard box or a crack house, or prison.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #139
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

As for construction noise... I have to chuckle a bit as I am one of the future residents of Burnham Pointe, and I know all too well what living with construction noise is all about.

I live across the street from Block 37 and deal with construction noise all the time. But they at least have the comfort of knowing that the noise is limited to 8AM to 8PM (seven days a week) and that they can sleep at night. I have construction going 24 hours a day, because of the CTAs tunnel construction between State and Dearborn. They can't close State Street during the day, and they don't have to abide by any noise regulations. Quite often they can be found jackhammering, excavating, and doing various other loud things at 3AM. Because the CTA project is public, I have no recourse to deal with the noise.

So they can just shut the F**k up.

Old April 7th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #140
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner245 View Post
^ I'll live there for money! I'll get paid to live anywhere other than a cardboard box or a crack house, or prison.
Trust me... The place is a dump for the kind of money they are trying to get for the units.