daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #1421
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post

I pretty sure he didn't say that. He said we are in troubling economic times, which is 100% true. If its not troubling, its definitely uncertain.
you got me right. i was talking about how this seems like a strange time to announce such a massive project.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #1422
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I'm not sure Fogelson et al actually "announced" a project. I think the air rights development is a long-term dream that Fogelson just happened to talk about when the Tribune reporters came to visit his office.

The Tribune story was a funny kind of business story that was more focused on Forrest City's financials than on any actual plan, mentioning the air rights scheme along the way. No actual proposal was shown, and the story wasn't picked up by Dave Roeder, Crain's, or other real estate sources. If I had to guess, I would think this started as a feature on Fogelson et al and the focus on Gateway came after the reporters got back to the office.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #1423
ChicagoGeek

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
how long have you lived there? (trust me, no motives here, just wondering)
half-decade it's been now... it's really a wonderful place to live and raise a family IMHO.

Local school spasticness notwithstanding of course
ChicagoGeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #1424
Prairie Avenue

[QUOTE=Mr Downtown;18267411]I'm not sure Fogelson et al actually "announced" a project. I think the air rights development is a long-term dream that Fogelson just happened to talk about when the Tribune reporters came to visit his office.

QUOTE]

Tim Desmond made a presentation to our association in 2003 where the broad outlines of the project were discussed, as the first Museum Tower was just then seeking a FAR adjustment that required notice to surrounding residents. While not as detailed and lacking the hotel construction many of the broad brush strokes of the plan in the Tribune were talked about, at that time said to be 10 years off.

I think the development of the Grant Park end of Central Station proceeded quicker than planned from that point, and they want this to be in place prior to the Olympics. This is more than a reporter's wayward imagination, discussions are underway and details are being filled in.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #1425
SouthLoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGeek View Post
half-decade it's been now... it's really a wonderful place to live and raise a family IMHO.

Local school spasticness notwithstanding of course
Hello, I'm new to this site, but I also have lived here for 5 years. This is a great neighborhood and there are a lot of great people living here. For some reason, this whole school thing has gotten bad over the last couple of years. Partly because of the increase in traffic, due to more parents driving their kids to school, but also because of the tactics of the school leadership. I have not seen them do anything to work with the neighborhood. The only things they have done to alleviate congestion and traffic is only when they have been forced to do so, they have shown no concern what-so-ever for anything but school interests.

Personally, I was not for the referenda. Not at first. However, after the referenda made the ballot, I noticed that the school had people outside managing traffic and managing the drop off like never before. It was like night and day instantly! That told me that the school is only going to do the right thing when they are forced to do so. I voted yes for both referenda. I didn't expect them to pass, as I really believed the talk about how this was a small vocal minority on the frings, but, apparently, this is a much larger majority than I imagined.

The school, the LSC, and Fioretti need to get their act together.
SouthLoopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #1426
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:56 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #1427
SouthLoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
^Welcome to the forum.

What are your favorite Hi-rise development projects in the South Loop?

My favorites are the ones along Lake Shore, sorry, I don't know the names. I really like the one that was built on the Northeast corner of State and Roosevelt. I think it did a great job of providing housing, bringing in new business and aesthetically improving the area. My least favorites are the two new buildings on the East side of S. State in the 1200 and 1400 blocks.
SouthLoopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #1428
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthLoopy View Post
I really like the one that was built on the Northeast corner of State and Roosevelt. I think it did a great job of providing housing, bringing in new business and aesthetically improving the area.
This is State Place.

Quote:
My least favorites are the two new buildings on the East side of S. State in the 1200 and 1400 blocks.
Vision on State (1200 block) and City Lofts (1400 block).

These buildings, IMO, could be much worse than they are.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #1429
SouthLoopSOX

I also live in DBPII. Have for about 4 1/2 years now.

Its a unique place to live in my opinion. I remember about a year and a half ago some woman was going around petitioning against the fence. LOL. I respectfully declined.

You people are right, there are some people out there with nothing better to do.....but to generalize an entire community and call them NIMBY's is a little lude. ( stands for Not In My Backyard, right ). I am in love with all the develoupment in the southloop......I do not fit the mold of a NIMBY thats for sure.

I guess some of my favorite topics right now would be....

1.) The Harold Ickes homes.... they are boarding them up and from what I hear are getting demolished in the next year. Two are shutdown and the next one is halfway boarded already.

2.) The area around McCormick WEST. I am always driving around there....so interesting. Matt O'Malley just purchased the Defender building on 24th and mich. I wonder what a bar/resturantuer could do with a building so massive?

3.)The vacant lot on the southwest corner of 16th and state.

4.) The corner of 22nd and State. This one burns my ass. Something has to be done about all the jaywalking . Every night I drive home from work I am constantly dodging little kids and adults who are aimlessly walking around there. Someone is going to get hurt......cant believe the city has done nothing yet.

5.) OH!-- and the huge plot of land south of the roosevelt bridge on the west side of clark!

Last edited by SouthLoopSOX; February 11th, 2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: forgot something
SouthLoopSOX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #1430
McCreative

During the 3rd ward election I was driven around by a Tillman supporter/employee who wanted me to witness first-hand what was happening in our ward (insert joke here). During that drive he had indicated that the buildings adjacent to Cermak would be demolished but the other ones would remain and would eventually be rehabbed.

I have no clue if this in actuality is the plan at all but I do recall the attempt to create a more passable situation from Chinatown all the way to McCormick Place.
McCreative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #1431
McCreative

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthLoopSOX View Post
3.)The vacant lot on the southwest corner of 16th and state.
Isn't that the whole Columbia College hubbub? I digress to those who are in the know.
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:25 AM   #1432
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
4.) The corner of 22nd and State. This one burns my ass. Something has to be done about all the jaywalking . Every night I drive home from work I am constantly dodging little kids and adults who are aimlessly walking around there. Someone is going to get hurt......cant believe the city has done nothing yet.
^ They're called pedestrians. Believe it or not, cities have them.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #1433
McCreative

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
True but this corner is like frogger as there is little regard for for oncoming traffic.
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #1434
DCCliff

Quote:
Hey, UP, is the snide sarcasm really necessary? Don't think SOX was asking for that. It's a city so we also have TRAFFIC SIGNAL, SIGNS AND LAWS to attempt to keep vehicles and people separate and safe. Gimme a break (or have you lost sight of such things as a typical Manhattan jaywalker? - sorry couldn't resist the cheap shot)
DCCliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #1435
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCreative View Post
True but this corner is like frogger as there is little regard for for oncoming traffic.
Hey, McCreative, are you related to McLovin? And to TUP, I agree with you about cities having pedestrians, but McCreative is right about 22nd and State having unpredictable ones in the street.

With the Hilliard Homes and Ickes Homes across the street from each other, and with the corner store at the NE corner, the stores just east on Cermak, and the store at 23rd and State, you have a LOT of people strolling across the street right in the middle of traffic. Or talking to someone in a car stopped dead in the middle of the street. Also, I can think of three different shootings at or near 23rd and State in the past five years. And those are just the ones I remember.

By the way, the stumbling-pedestrian-in-the-street problem is not there in winter, but it is certainly there the rest of the year. If the city wants to truly make conventioneers feel safe walking to Chinatown, the area has to be better policed. And the other piece of that puzzle is tearing down the northernmost of the Ickes Homes, i.e., the one on Cermak.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #1436
manchoi44

Off-topic....

Hey all, new guy here...

I stumbled upon this forum as I was trying to get some more information about 2100 Indiana.. I bought a 1BR in June, but (can you believe this?) I haven't heard ANYTHING from them since... August.

You all seem to be pretty heads up about what's going on, so any insight to this issue would be GREATLY appreciated. I've been doing some research on Rokas Intl. and it seems as though they've had some bad luck with a couple of potential projects, but for some reason, I can't find a word about what's happening with the 2100 Condos... (even their website is down!)
manchoi44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1437
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Don't you think that tells you something about Rokas' capabilities to undertake a large project such as 2100?
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #1438
manchoi44

touchè
manchoi44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #1439
SouthLoopSOX

Quote:
Pedestrians use and obey the pedestrian lights/laws while crossing the street going from point A to point B.

The case to which I am speaking of has people loitering in the streets and wandering aimlessly throughout the area. Someone is going to get hurt.....I always cringe when I see little kids running around out there.

I don't think you and I are on the same page
SouthLoopSOX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #1440
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
Pedestrians use and obey the pedestrian lights/laws while crossing the street going from point A to point B.

The case to which I am speaking of has people loitering in the streets and wandering aimlessly throughout the area. Someone is going to get hurt.....I always cringe when I see little kids running around out there.

I don't think you and I are on the same page

Ever "driven" through there on a steamy Friday or Saturday night around 10 pm? It is not frogger nor jawalkers.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote