daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #1441
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

Ickes is being fully demolished? It doesnt fit the profile of all the other ones being demo'd; its not high rise, and it doesnt seem to have as much of the problems of the more notorious CHA projects. I guess I've seen it being boarded up, but seeing as how projects are often boarded up like that I didnt think it was going to be demo'd as well.

With that news I dont know how I'd feel. I dont care about conventioneers feeling safer or trying to make that area more yuppified, and frankly, its not that bad I walk on cermak all the time to go to the red line and chinatown. But if it was the plan of the CHA all along then I'd like to know what will go in its place. Mixed income housing?
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #1442
SouthLoopSOX

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Avenue View Post
Ever "driven" through there on a steamy Friday or Saturday night around 10 pm? It is not frogger nor jawalkers.
what do you mean exactly? Implying its seedy? I dont really care....im just curious
SouthLoopSOX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #1443
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthLoopSOX View Post
what do you mean exactly? Implying its seedy? I dont really care....im just curious
People are in the streets at that point as a gathering place, hanging out. They aren't going anywhere. cars stop, people go out and hang at them, etc. Jaywalking or frogger implies that people are crossing the street to get somewhere. I don't know if that means seedy to you, I am just posting my experience that it isn't like you would hit someone because they darted out in front of you. They have their own traffic calming measure.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #1444
ShowGal

Quote:
People are in the streets at that point as a gathering place, hanging out.
I agree that mostly you see people just hanging out, but you just see people doing a lot of stupid things as well. Last week on my way home from the airport, there was a guy that jumped onto the side of a van and was hanging onto the mirror as they went down the street right in front of us. I've also seen a guy just standing between the lanes on Cermack. And no I don't mean on the median, I mean literally just standing between the two lanes going west-bound.
ShowGal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #1445
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

I came across this article about Avalon Bay Apartments at Clark and Polk (an update from Mr. Downtown's post a long time ago that they went from 3 to 2)...

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...529&TM=82508.2

The towers look nice and slender and are now 42 stories tall (if the guys at Folio hated Burnham Pointe, they will really hate this one with the "fat" part of the building directly across from them). There is a lot of green space, but there is a view of the parking podium from Clark, but at least it is set back.

It looks like the first buiding will start late this fall and should be completed by the end of 2010. Imagine what Clark will look like then... the only open space will be D2's Curve, which will likely have started by then too! Roosevelt Collection should be complete by then so this area should be nearly developed. Maybe a developer will start buying the units out of DP along Clark and replace them with high rises!

I wonder if the new development will still allow for pedestrians to cross the green space to access 9th Street viaduct from Clark/Polk.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #1446
SouthLoopSOX

Quote:
People are in the streets at that point as a gathering place, hanging out. They aren't going anywhere. cars stop, people go out and hang at them, etc. Jaywalking or frogger implies that people are crossing the street to get somewhere. I don't know if that means seedy to you, I am just posting my experience that it isn't like you would hit someone because they darted out in front of you. They have their own traffic calming measure.

On a very sad note. Someone was killed by a passing bus this am. It is believed the victim was loitering on the corner or wabash and cermack

Pedestrians? Pfftt.....dumbest thing i've ever heard
SouthLoopSOX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #1447
Hello City

Quote:
On a very sad note. Someone was killed by a passing bus this am. It is believed the victim was loitering on the corner or wabash and cermack

Pedestrians? Pfftt.....dumbest thing i've ever heard
That is horrible. I was driving northbound on state just south of cermak this morning and someone wandered not a foot away from my 25mph car..... I'm surprised more people aren't hurt in that area, no one seems to use the crosswalks in that area.
Hello City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM   #1448
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
It looks like the first buiding will start late this fall and should be completed by the end of 2010. Imagine what Clark will look like then... the only open space will be D2's Curve, which will likely have started by then too! Roosevelt Collection should be complete by then so this area should be nearly developed. Maybe a developer will start buying the units out of DP along Clark and replace them with high rises!

I wonder if the new development will still allow for pedestrians to cross the green space to access 9th Street viaduct from Clark/Polk.
I just hope that during the four years of construction they make better provision for pedestrians than the zero Burnham Pointe was able to get away with. Especially if construction overlaps and BP is still underway when they break ground on these. Maybe they'll also consider closing Polk to all but local/construction traffic for the duration.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:22 AM   #1449
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 12th, 2010 at 07:14 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:46 PM   #1450
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Pedestrians use and obey the pedestrian lights/laws while crossing the street going from point A to point B.

The case to which I am speaking of has people loitering in the streets and wandering aimlessly throughout the area. Someone is going to get hurt.....I always cringe when I see little kids running around out there.

I don't think you and I are on the same page
you have to give Urban Politican credit. He has turned criticism and sarcasam into an art form. With a healthy dose of arrogance thrown in. And he certainly isn't afraid to tell anyone what he thinks of them...whether the observation is requested or not. No doubt if there is shit in that intersection and it is his, he doesn't believe it smells.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 04:09 AM   #1451
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Franklin Point
Chicago, Illinois

Franklin Point is a large-scale mixed-use development along the Chicago River just south of the downtown loop. The development, which includes two new harbors, would bring 3.5 million sf of new space to the South Loop area.

The development, comprised of 8 buildings, features a mix of condominiums, apartments and senior housing, a 500-room hotel and 125,000 sf of retail space. In addition, landscaped parks, streetscapes and a riverwalk are planned for the development, as is a marina with room for 40 boat slips

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 04:30 AM   #1452
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

Wow, wow, wow!
Secondly, how tall do you think that one building is going to be? From there it looks close to 1000 ft.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 04:33 AM   #1453
Chi_Coruscant

^did this concept die recently? Or somehow resurrected? Whatever it is, I like it 'cuz they do not look anything Lowenberg-ized.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:57 AM   #1454
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second City View Post
Wow, wow, wow!
Secondly, how tall do you think that one building is going to be? From there it looks close to 1000 ft.
If I remember the rumor correctly, it will be a supertall.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:58 AM   #1455
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:54 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:32 AM   #1456
Second City
Loyola University

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
If I remember the rumor correctly, it will be a supertall.
Awesome! Thanks.

Btw what are the chances of this project happening?
Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:34 AM   #1457
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second City View Post
Awesome! Thanks.

Btw what are the chances of this project happening?
The chances are slim.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:39 AM   #1458
Second City
Loyola University

Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:48 AM   #1459
Chicago2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
[I]Franklin Point
Chicago, Illinois

Stormy, husky, brawling,
City of the Big Shoulders
Chicago2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #1460
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Adrian Smith has delivered EXACTLY what I expected him to - pure genius that interacts with the waterfront like Rowes Wharf in Boston, but without the Postmodern design.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote