daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:44 AM   #1501
Chicagotom

Likes (Received): 0

This looks like River North has invaded the South Loop. UHHG! Mr. DT, What are thoughts? Your going to be looking into these two from your place.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM   #1502
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I'm not very happy about the design. I've been racking my brain all morning, trying to think of an admirable building anywhere with a totally flat (nonglass) wall surface. I think there's a good reason we always have projecting piers, sills, or mullions. Venustas.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:47 PM   #1503
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
AvalonBay 824 South Clark:
Mr. D., can you provide a link to a higher-resolution version of the site plan? I can't quite make out many of the distances or what it says about the dedicated bit of land at the north edge of the lot.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:05 PM   #1504
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:07 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:45 PM   #1505
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

At least the MCC had the chamfered window frames. This seems more like Presidential Towers, Olympia Centre, or One Mag Mile with precast.

Higher-res site plan:

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7...iteplanqi2.png
Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:09 AM   #1506
Chicagotom

Can anyone post the old Lennar proposal and the Avalonbay proposal side by side?
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:36 AM   #1507
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

It looks like they will no longer provide a right-turn lane from eastbound Polk to Clark. In fact, it looks like the 10' shown to be dedicated will likely just push the sidewalk back so that a grassy parkway with trees can be provided. It's hard to tell from the siteplan, but it looks like the sidewalk will stretch back across the property line along Clark so a decent size sidewalk can be provided here instead of the 6' one they have now. It doesn't look like they are providing the sidewalk Lennar offered diagonal across their site for people that want to walk from Polk/Clark to the future 9th St. viaduct. Since it has no retail, it seems that it will have a positive impact on patrons to the restaurants and shops of Printers Row.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:17 AM   #1508
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

The Lennar siteplan:

The AvalonBay siteplan:

Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM   #1509
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Fascinating article

http://www.chicagoreader.com/feature...hloop/history/

A Long Way From “Satan’s Mile”
The booming South Loop has a tortuous and tawdry tale to tell.

By Martha Bayne
March 13, 2008

As the clock struck five on a recent Friday, patrons began to bounce through the doors at the Bar Louie in Dearborn Station. First two, then five, then a boisterous group ten strong and looking barely legal. Laughter erupted from a quartet of African-American women in business casual. Two young Latinos worked laptops at a two-top by the bar, where a lone white guy in a painter’s cap nursed a Corona and watched the Blackhawks game flash across a bank of TVs. A couple of cops in yellow vests stomped in to shake off the cold. “Sweet Child o’ Mine” squealed from the PA; somewhere a bartender dimmed the lights. Welcome to the new South Loop: Prosperous. Multiethnic. Clean. A far cry from the days when South State Street was known as “Satan’s Mile.”

The area now known as the South Loop—bounded approximately by Congress Parkway to the north, Cermak to the south, Lake Shore Drive to the east, and the Chicago River to the west—first rates in Chicago history as the site of the Fort Dearborn Massacre, an early and bloody skirmish in the War of 1812. That August, by order of General William Hull, stinging from the British capture of Mackinac Island, the commander of the garrison at the mouth of the Chicago River evacuated a party of about a hundred soldiers, women, and children and led them south along the lakeshore toward the relative safety of Fort Wayne. They didn’t make it. Somewhere around what’s now 18th Street the party was ambushed by the British-allied Potawatomi Indians. At least half the evacuees were killed on the beach; the rest were captured and sold into slavery, though they were soon ransomed by the British. Fort Dearborn itself was torched, and for the next four years the little settlement by the lake remained essentially abandoned.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #1510
milepig

A few more things happening at Franklin Point

In the course of the last week the developer had all the illegally parked cars (by River City) towed in the middle of the night. The broken fence along Harrison has also been repaired.

Information from the Alderman's office is that there are no plans, permits, etc., at this point, so we're a long way off from seeing any real action at this site. And if history continues, this owner won't be the LAST one either!
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #1511
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
In the course of the last week the developer had all the illegally parked cars (by River City) towed in the middle of the night. The broken fence along Harrison has also been repaired.
Also, they added Jersey barriers to the spot at the end of Wacker where the drunks routinely crash through. I guess after twenty years of replacing the fence every month, somebody finally realized that a little burlier barrier was needed there.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 05:05 AM   #1512
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

I just heard that Ald. Fioretti has called a meeting for 7 pm this Thursday at Grace Place about AvalonBay's Clark & Polk proposal. DPD feels their hands are tied regarding the design of the buildings and that they risk a lawsuit if they delay any further.
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #1513
Chitowner245

A perfect solution would be to allow for even taller buildings with lower parking ratio, thus justifying the additional cost of caissons, giving us forumers more height, and reducing the annoying banging of pile driving for the nearby residents. Everyone could be happy that way. (However, I'm not sure I'd want these particular buildings to stick out more than they will already- not the best of designs).
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #1514
Sir Isaac Newton

In unrelated news, construction on the Third-Fifth bank at the corner of Harrison and Clark began in the past few days or so....
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #1515
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Mr. Downtown, was that you was quoted in The Reader article?
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #1516
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

That was a fascinating article. Lots of little stories about many buildings that I just took at face value before.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #1517
Cullertonian

Anybody know what is planned for the recently cleared lot on Michigan Ave between 1720 S. Michigan and Casablanca Lofts (Kroll's)?
Cullertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #1518
ShowGal

I was told it's being turned into a parking lot for some developer or construction company or something. Sad to tear down an old building for a parking lot. The only plus side is supposedly Krolls is going to use it for a beer garden this fall for Bears games.
ShowGal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #1519
Cullertonian

Thanks for the info on the lot next to Kroll's. I hate to hear it'll be a parking lot, but the building that was torn down was a real eyesore, and hopefully the beer garden will be open all summer.

The hole where the building used to be is really kind of interesting - it gives a unique view of the sub-level wall of the Kroll's building.
Cullertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #1520
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullertonian View Post
Anybody know what is planned for the recently cleared lot on Michigan Ave between 1720 S. Michigan and Casablanca Lofts (Kroll's)?
I live in 1720 and I asked the doorman what they were building and he said it was going to be a parking lot as well. The developer is supposedly across the street (I don't remember their name and I didn't even know a developer's office was across the street). I was looking at the south wall of the 1720 building and I noticed a small nick/scratch which mostly likely was caused by the construction vehicles during the demolition of the old building.( I don't want my association money paying to fix that).

Anyway, I was hoping it would be some restaurant like a McDonald's or something.

Also, on other news, the 1555 Wabash building's foundation is I think complete. I see the inner support concrete structure being erected. The ECO18 building on the west hasn't started construction yet (anyone know when it'll begin?). The building on Michigan and 14th has pretty much all it's bluish glass in place and looks really nice. This area looks so different from a year and a half ago, when I first visited the site of the then non-existing 1720. There's cars parked all over Michigan Ave., new sidewalks, new trees, new benches on the bus stops, new light poles, and one new traffic light.

Now we need stores... food... food... (there's some, but I want more).
Satan's Mile Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote