daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #1521
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Construction update:

The crane is coming down at One Place this weekend. Oddly, they only built nine floors; the renderings showed ten.

Next door, Astoria Tower is working on its ninth floor.

Over on Clark Street, Amli 900:

Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:34 AM   #1522
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

^Well, in this rendering for the Astoria (the same developer, right?), it looks like its 9 stories.

robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:36 AM   #1523
milepig

Likes (Received): 0

Any current news on Vetro (Wells/Harrison)??

No signs of any real construction of late, but the whole place has a very unfinished feel to it (just walk down Wells). Gossip is that many things are left undone, including painting the raw concrete and that they're out of money, but I've also heard that they've signed a Thai restaurant and a "convenience store" for the commercial space.

I do have to say that it all looks really low-budget at this point.
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:03 AM   #1524
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:06 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM   #1525
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Vetro is one of the best looking condo buildings in the South Loop.
I agree. For whatever reason it seems to take real guts to go truly minimalist and rigorously Modern like that, even though it seems like economics would favor it. I love the way that building looks.

With the addition of the glass balconies, Burnham Pointe is actually shaping up pretty okay, too. I'm kinda coming around to the brownish copperish things.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1526
milepig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Vetro is one of the best looking condo buildings in the South Loop.

The bare concrete is by design. The minimalist look is intentional.
Let me start over here. I didn't mean to imply that I thought it should be painted. I was just quoting someone who used that (rightly or wrongly) as one example of the many, many things yet to be done on this building. Minimalism is great, but you've got to get the details spot on since everything little problem sticks out. At this point, when you get close up Vetro has a great many things left undone, and there is very little sign of any major ongoing construction at this point. Walk along Wells and pay close attention to the structure - you'll see a lot of unfinished stuff and a lot of very poorly executed detailing.

Last edited by milepig; April 23rd, 2008 at 05:21 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:31 AM   #1527
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #1528
Prairie Avenue

McGrath

Today's column in the Journal takes the position that Avalon Bay should not go up because it might block Bonnie's view from her Dearborn Park Two home or deck of the Sears Tower. And you guys knock the Prairie District folks?
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #1529
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Avenue View Post
Today's column in the Journal takes the position that Avalon Bay should not go up because it might block Bonnie's view from her Dearborn Park Two home or deck of the Sears Tower. And you guys knock the Prairie District folks?
who is Bonnie? whoever she is, she can go pound sand. and what journal backs her?
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #1530
robituss

The Chicago Journal a local newspaper for the west and south loop and near west. She also demonstrates a little ignorance by saying that the Sears is the tallest building in the world, because its still taller than the Petronas. Any skyscraper geek could have told her that Tapei 101 is the undisputed tallest right now, and that Burj Dubai has already surpassed it as well. I mean is she still living in 2002?
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #1531
robituss

Oh yeah, so Burnham point is supposedly going all rental. So maybe theyll end up reducing the # of units in Avalon Bay? I doubt that though. BUt its still a lot of rental units introduced to the market at once.
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #1532
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

It would be a big mistake to think of Bonnie McGrath as somehow the "voice" of the Chicago Journal. She's a columnist whose only responsibility is to fill up space between the ads. Some weeks the soup is rather thin. Musing about whether she'll lose her view of Sears Tower is not the same as opining that public policy should prevent that result.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #1533
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

Burnham Pointe is definately going rental. My attorney is working on getting my deposit back. For me, it worked out well since I no longer live in Chicago.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #1534
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24gotham View Post
Burnham Pointe is definately going rental. My attorney is working on getting my deposit back. For me, it worked out well since I no longer live in Chicago.
So you got heckled by Peter Ziv & Co. for nothing?
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #1535
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
It would be a big mistake to think of Bonnie McGrath as somehow the "voice" of the Chicago Journal. She's a columnist whose only responsibility is to fill up space between the ads. Some weeks the soup is rather thin. Musing about whether she'll lose her view of Sears Tower is not the same as opining that public policy should prevent that result.

How about the comparison between Avalon's developer setting up an independent engineer and a dedicated damage fund to payoffs to Iraqi widows and their children after US forces destroy their homes and kill their husbands in Bagdhad? She has lost touch with reality in column after column.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #1536
ChicagoSchool

Renters Row: S Clark St

So if "Renters Row" is what has become of S Clark St, I'd encourage and welcome new restaurant openings along the street. I about ate out 7 nights/wk back in my renting days.

Any retail opinions/ideas out there?
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #1537
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old April 26th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #1538
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSchool View Post
So if "Renters Row" is what has become of S Clark St, I'd encourage and welcome new restaurant openings along the street. I about ate out 7 nights/wk back in my renting days.

Any retail opinions/ideas out there?
AMLI will not have any retail (at least not a restaurant), but you may see somehting in Burnham Pointe. Last I heard they had a Starbucks coming in. It will be hard to compete with the restaurants/retail of Printers Row and Roosevelt Collection. Currently, just Pat's Pizza and a bar which keeps going in and out of business make up Clark Street. There is a Potbellys in Printers Row and soon to have a new mexican restaurant, so don't expect a Chipotle or Potbelly's, which seem to be attracted to rental areas (you wont find any fine dining here).

Although I do think a tavern would do well (maybe a new location for Goose Island?)
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #1539
milepig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
AMLI will not have any retail (at least not a restaurant), but you may see somehting in Burnham Pointe. Last I heard they had a Starbucks coming in. It will be hard to compete with the restaurants/retail of Printers Row and Roosevelt Collection. Currently, just Pat's Pizza and a bar which keeps going in and out of business make up Clark Street. There is a Potbellys in Printers Row and soon to have a new mexican restaurant, so don't expect a Chipotle or Potbelly's, which seem to be attracted to rental areas (you wont find any fine dining here).

Although I do think a tavern would do well (maybe a new location for Goose Island?)
There is also Blackies on the corner at Polk. The bar, currently Villains, seems to be drawing quite a crowd and should be well when the influx of students begins. If by "new mexican restaurant" you mean Sombrero, at this point is is still being used as a storage place for Hackney's outdoor furniture and I don't see any signs of construction. I wonder if it will really happen. I agree that the string of restaurants in Printers Row seem to adequately serving the population at this point - although a couple mid-scale places would certainly be welcome. Currently, its a big jump from burger joints and bad Thai to Custom House. More options in between would be nice.
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #1540
milepig

Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
In the course of the last week the developer had all the illegally parked cars (by River City) towed in the middle of the night. The broken fence along Harrison has also been repaired.

Information from the Alderman's office is that there are no plans, permits, etc., at this point, so we're a long way off from seeing any real action at this site. And if history continues, this owner won't be the LAST one either!
Things are getting a bit ugly over at Freedom Point. The developers have made multiple attempts to close off the gate on Wells in the middle of the property, postings signs and locking the gate. When the locks were cut off several times they then completely closed the gate by putting a strip of fencing behind it and posted new "no trespassing" signs. Sometime in the past couple days someone cut a hole in the fence next to the gate and peeled back a section of the chain link. This situation seems headed toward confrontation.