daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #1541
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I understand why the developers are trying to keep people out - the debris of Grand Central Station is all just piled there, and it's unstable in portions as the debris settles. If the developer doesn't put up fencing and try to keep people out, then they could potentially bear the liability if somebody gets hurt.

Of course, the neighbors are going to sneak in somehow anyway. The only permanent solution the developers have is to develop the site (or hire security guards).
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #1542
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Does anybody have recent construction photos or reports from Lexington Park? The last shot on Emporis is from February, and they had completed 6 floors, so they ought to be at 8 or 9 by now, at least.
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #1543
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

I live by the lexington site and see it daily. Theyre working on the 14th or 15th floor actually, and have been making steady progress the last couple months or so. Sorry I have no pics though.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #1544
ChicagoSchool

Likes (Received): 0

This current City Traffic/Transportation plan has implications on the S.Loop. Increasing parking rates inside Loop would raise parking lot demand on the Loops' fringe (S.Loop, River North, W.Loop). In S.Loop for instance, would this result in NYC-style double-decker parking structures in the many lots along Harrison St?

On the other hand, perhaps would further raise demand for city living - what almost all of us believe in and adhere to. Myself personally, LOVE walking to work downtown.

Last edited by ChicagoSchool; April 30th, 2008 at 05:44 PM.
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:51 AM   #1545
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

The only thing the city can easily control is the price of metered parking. Clueless suburbanite reporters have been repeating the meme that increasing the cost of metered parking somehow affects whether people come downtown via transit or not.

Most transit ridership is journey-to-work (or school). Downtown workers (or students) don't use parking meters.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:58 AM   #1546
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Right... so won't an increase in meter prices lead more people to choose transit for recreational trips and errands?

I didn't expect it to impact commuters that much; parking costs downtown and congestion are already high enough that only the hardcore drivers still commute downtown by car, and just like addicts, they'll pay no matter what the cost is.

But for once-in-awhile recreational trips and the rare errand that takes people downtown, transit will become a more attractive option. I still think it's really weird that the city's new parking-meter system takes credit-cards.... change just won't cut it anymore in many places.
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:13 PM   #1547
ShowGal

Speaking of parking meters does anyone know what the plan is for the south South Loop in particular Michigan @ 18th? They pulled the parking meters out close to a year ago for the street scraping project, and I'm curious if they're putting them back in. Talk about a loss of revenue for the city!
ShowGal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:42 PM   #1548
milepig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSchool View Post
This current City Traffic/Transportation plan has implications on the S.Loop. Increasing parking rates inside Loop would raise parking lot demand on the Loops' fringe (S.Loop, River North, W.Loop). In S.Loop for instance, would this result in NYC-style double-decker parking structures in the many lots along Harrison St?

On the other hand, perhaps would further raise demand for city living - what almost all of us believe in and adhere to. Myself personally, LOVE walking to work downtown.
Don't know if its connected to this news, but we just lost our "sweet" deal for overnight parking at one of the Harrison lots. We'd been parking there on a $40 per month for nights/weekends/holidays deal - out between 8ish and 4:30ish on workdays (they weren't very strict about the exact time). We just got a notice that the rates would increase to $95 beginning in May. More than double, and enough to put us back out into slightly less convenient zoned parking, at least until the weather gets bad in the fall. A conversation with the lot attendant indicated that we were the last of his overnight parkers to tell him that we weren't renewing, and that every single customer had canceled. Odd that they'd raise the rates that much, since it just seems like free money as they sort of abandoned the lot during those periods - I've never seen an attendant at night or on weekends.
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #1549
milepig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Construction update:

The crane is coming down at One Place this weekend. Oddly, they only built nine floors; the renderings showed ten.

Next door, Astoria Tower is working on its ninth floor.

I walked past there last night and they're putting up one more floor, using metal studs instead of concrete. So, I guess there will be 10 floors after all.
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #1550
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=29329

Irish developer in deal to buy land at Franklin Point
By Alby Gallun, May 07, 2008

An Irish condominium developer with one project in the South Loop is getting ready for its second development in the neighborhood on a 2-acre property at Harrison and Wells streets.

Sources say Limerick, Ireland-based Chieftain Group has signed a contract to pay D2 Realty Services Inc. nearly $20 million for the parcel, part of a larger vacant 8-acre tract known as Franklin Point. Russland Capital Group, a Skokie developer, bought the other 6-acre parcel within Franklin Point in February.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #1551
ChicagoSchool

hopefully this wonderful Franklin Point plan is still possible, or at least some variation:

http://www.smithgill.com/FranklinPoint.htm
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #1552
Belacqua

I wonder how these parcels divide up the land. Is the D2 chunk just the northernmost quarter of it, or is it a corner parcel with more frontage on Wells? That would obviously influence what both parties could do. Hopefully they would work together towards some larger vision rather than just maximizing their individual pieces.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #1553
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
I wonder how these parcels divide up the land. Is the D2 chunk just the northernmost quarter of it, or is it a corner parcel with more frontage on Wells? That would obviously influence what both parties could do. Hopefully they would work together towards some larger vision rather than just maximizing their individual pieces.
D2's parcel is the NWC of the site, with more frontage on Wells.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #1554
robituss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSchool View Post
hopefully this wonderful Franklin Point plan is still possible, or at least some variation:

http://www.smithgill.com/FranklinPoint.htm
The height in that SOM design would be awesome. Pretty cool concept overall, but I dont know if that will happen with the parcel divided up.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #1555
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #1556
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowGal View Post
Speaking of parking meters does anyone know what the plan is for the south South Loop in particular Michigan @ 18th? They pulled the parking meters out close to a year ago for the street scraping project, and I'm curious if they're putting them back in. Talk about a loss of revenue for the city!
Did the scraping project begin yet and are there plans to repave Michigan Ave. south of Roosevelt? With the new sidewalks, blossoming trees, new light poles, leaving the cracked road as-is seems kind of strange.
Satan's Mile Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #1557
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #1558
paytonc
Pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
But for once-in-awhile recreational trips and the rare errand that takes people downtown, transit will become a more attractive option. I still think it's really weird that the city's new parking-meter system takes credit-cards.... change just won't cut it anymore in many places.
Actually, the bigger reason: the cost of handling cash outweigh the cost of handling credit cards when aggregated across that many locations. Same reason why CTA gives a discount to Chicago Card holders.

I don't quite understand why the city didn't accentuate the positive in their press releases: increased meter rates will better match supply to demand. The goal is to price it such that you WILL find an empty parking space where/when you need one (provided you're wiling to pay) -- right now, only a lucky few get curbside spaces. This directly benefits people who are running quick and occasional errands, the usual justification that I hear for "I *had* to drive downtown."

The city can also kind of control private parking rates through its parking tax. If it results in more people parking remotely and walking/taking transit into downtown, that's kind of the point: at least they won't be clogging the most congested streets.

Whatever happens at Franklin Point, I hope the developer doesn't automatically assume that they can raid 100% of the TIF increment. TIFs should pay only for basic infrastructure (or even deluxe infrastructure -- a streetcar from Union Station to Roosevelt could help justify higher densities) and other amenities open to the public, not pad profit margins.

For what it's worth, have any of you guys proposed your own column to the Journal? They're always looking for more stuff to "fill up space between the ads."

Last edited by paytonc; May 9th, 2008 at 03:15 AM.
paytonc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #1559
ShowGal

Quote:
A developer will resurface the section between 16th and 18th.
I wonder why a developer is paving between 16th and 18th and who that is. The developer for 1720 or the one taking over the lot next to Krolls maybe?
ShowGal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #1560
McCreative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowGal View Post
I wonder why a developer is paving between 16th and 18th and who that is. The developer for 1720 or the one taking over the lot next to Krolls maybe?
This may be a silly question but why can't the city do this all at one time and then charge the developer when the time is right?

I lived in Scottsdale and the roads up north would toggle between old and new with the new roads outside the developments. Always frustrated me!
McCreative no está en línea   Reply With Quote