daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #1561
Belacqua

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
D2's parcel is the NWC of the site, with more frontage on Wells.
That would NEC, no?
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #1562
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Lexington Park

May 10, 2008

ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #1563
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Thanks ardecila. This project gets very little photo time (understandably), but is highly important in bringing life back to that all-but-dead Cermak corridor.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #1564
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Thanks ardecila. This project gets very little photo time (understandably), but is highly important in bringing life back to that all-but-dead Cermak corridor.
Yeah, it's a bit inconvenient to photograph - I arrived at Ogilvie Station and, to get there and back, I had to do an 11-mile walk. But at least there were lots of great and interesting things to look at.

I've never been down to Cermak on foot before; usually I've just taken the Red Line to Chinatown. It's a different experience - a lot less developed than it would seem from aerial images, since everything is 1-story. I will say, though, that the Green Line REALLY needs a Cermak stop.
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #1565
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

A few other things I noticed in the South Loop:

One Place is framing its top floor (10th) with metal studs right now. The website shows that floors 9-2 wrap around the parking garage, so the units are small. The 10th is on top of the garage, which allows for larger (deeper) units.

Astoria Tower appears to have halted construction, since they haven't risen in awhile. However, they are currently at a major transfer floor, so that may be the cause of the delay.

Jones HS has closed the ugly surface lot south of them and they are ripping up the pavement. Hopefully their expansion plans will come to completion, and we won't be left with a dirt lot on State.

900 South Clark has almost all the glass installed, and half the facade is painted. It doesn't look half bad, if you ignore the annoying setback from the street.

X/O now claims that they will have groundbreaking in winter 2008. I thought the previous date was July 2008, so it seems like they've moved it back yet again. I looked at the model in the sales center to try to understand PDNA's concerns, but now I'm even more disgusted with their hypocrisy.

Marquee Michigan is still ugly.
Old May 12th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #1566
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

New Best Buy in the South Loop May 23rd?!

http://www.suntimes.com/business/942...t10web.article
"Best Buy will open its first downtown Chicago store next year in the John Hancock Center at 875 N. Michigan Ave., a company spokesman confirmed Friday.

The 30,000-square-foot store will replace a Paul Stewart menswear store. Best Buy will also open a new store on May 23 at 555 W. Roosevelt Road in the South Loop."

Time to use my gift cards and by an HD Radio...
Satan's Mile Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #1567
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
Part of the reason might be because its seemingly s-l-o-w progress. It looks the same every time I drive by!
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #1568
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
That would NEC, no?
Dammit! I hate when I do that. yes, i meant NEC.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #1569
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

The Michigan Ave. resurfacing project south of Roosevelt started today! Anyone else excited... I think I saw signs stating the portion between 16th and 18th will start on the 13th (by the whoever developer).
Satan's Mile Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #1570
Sir Isaac Newton

Hey, does anyone know what is going up on State Street, directly south of Reebie Lofts? On the el today, it looked like there was some construction going on at the site.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #1571
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=29418

Foreclosure suit strikes S. Michigan Ave condo site.
By Thomas A. Corfman, May 13, 2008

First American Bank has filed a foreclosure lawsuit to collect a past-due $18.7 million loan on a South Michigan Avenue site, where developer Warren Barr has planned to build a 40-story condominium tower.

The Elk Grove Village-based bank alleges that the venture that owns the site at 1000 S. Michigan Ave. failed to pay off the loan when it came due on March 31, according to a complaint filed May 2 in Cook County Circuit Court.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #1572
Chicagotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
Hey, does anyone know what is going up on State Street, directly south of Reebie Lofts? On the el today, it looked like there was some construction going on at the site.
Com Ed has a substation directly south of Reebie Lofts? Was that it? I don't know of any open lots until you get south of 18th.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #1573
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=29421

Alter loses control of site near McCormick Place
By Alby Gallun and Eddie Baeb, May 14, 2008

Alter Group Ltd. has lost control of a key property near McCormick Place where the developer had proposed a major mixed-use project with as many as 1,500 hotel rooms.

Alter’s contract to pay about $70 million for the site at Prairie Avenue and Cermak Road died earlier this spring after the Skokie-based company declined to put up earnest money for the parcel, according to a source familiar with the situation.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #1574
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom View Post
Com Ed has a substation directly south of Reebie Lofts? Was that it? I don't know of any open lots until you get south of 18th.
It's a really small lot....I'm sure there isn't a high rise going up there. Looks like they are doing something there....perhaps a 2-story commercial building? Or even a parking lot or something else that belongs to the Reebie Lofts development?
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #1575
Sir Isaac Newton

Got something in the mail about how an upcoming Jazz Club is applying for a liquor license at 808 South Plymouth (I believe Dearborn Tower?). Could be a very good addition to Printers Row...
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #1576
Chicagotom

Quote:
It's a really small lot....I'm sure there isn't a high rise going up there. Looks like they are doing something there....perhaps a 2-story commercial building? Or even a parking lot or something else that belongs to the Reebie Lofts development?
There is a small lot to the North of Reebie. It was slated to be a green space. That lot is part of the Reebie development.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #1577
Belacqua

Quote:
Got something in the mail about how an upcoming Jazz Club is applying for a liquor license at 808 South Plymouth (I believe Dearborn Tower?). Could be a very good addition to Printers Row...
That's the relocated Jazz Showcase, going into the former dance studio space in the back of Dearborn Station. You can see construction proceeding through the windows.

I agree, it will be great for the neighborhood (or the immediate surroundings, at least) as that's a real destination, for Chicagoans and out-of-towners alike.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:16 AM   #1578
Sir Isaac Newton

A couple new cheap food options in Printers Row/South Loop

http://chicago.metromix.com/restaura...408393/content

http://chicago.metromix.com/restaura...405779/content
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:34 AM   #1579
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

The Printers Row area is really turning into a college neighborhood every day. In addition to these two new eateries, Villian's is a bar on Clark Street that is also getting very popular among students. With the new dorm opening this fall (I am assuming), it will be even moreso crowded. Maybe when Burnham Pointe, Museum Tower, and One Place open, it will be more diluted.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:09 AM   #1580
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Possibly more diluted, but even more crowded. Residential density is great for the South Loop, I hope to see more of it south of Polk....