daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2008, 05:56 PM   #1601
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
However, I have been a proponent of maintaining the Status Quo of public parking in th South Loop. I will continue to feel that Fiortetti should figure out a way to offer residents a place to park or their guests to park after their public parking is swept out from uder their feet as the new developments move forward.
^ Why? Why must parking be provided for "guests" as a mandate? That makes absolutely NO sense to me whatsoever. Why you (or any of those morons in your neighborhood) think that this should be mandated at the Aldermanic level is ludicrous, just ludicrous to me.

If there is a demand for parking, developers will build parking garages. Plain and simple. It has happened in the Loop, it has happened in River North ("green" garage planned by developer in River North, from Crains last week).

And, of course, there is always that expensive but underutilized transit system, as well--an alternative that NOBODY will bother turning to as long as your unnecessary parking mandates keep the cost of parking artificially low. Do you not remember saying this:

And they are fighting for more parking so that parents can drive down to see their kids music recitals when the red line stops literaly in front of the school and the blue, orange, brown, and pink line stop 2-3 blocks away.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2008, 09:40 PM   #1602
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

The green parking garage in River North (if you do the math the construction cost alone is projected to be about $60K-$70K per stall, is feasible for the developer because he owns half of River North and the rest of his developements will benefit from the garage. Yes, they have parking garages in the Loop, but the cost for parking in the central business district is funded by business expense accounts - and the Printers Row residents should not be expected to shell out $20 for 2 hours of parking.

I dont want to see parking CREATED, I want to see it MAINTAINED. If they take 250 stalls out to build a high rise, I think somewhere 250 public stalls should be provided elsewhere.

The difference with Jones College Prep is that they want to place parking on State Street, which is not a desirable place in my opinion. It is also different because they want to CREATE parking instead of relying on public transit.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 12:41 AM   #1603
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
and the Printers Row residents should not be expected to shell out $20 for 2 hours of parking.
^ Why not?

Quote:
I dont want to see parking CREATED, I want to see it MAINTAINED. If they take 250 stalls out to build a high rise, I think somewhere 250 public stalls should be provided elsewhere.
^ Okay, then if the demand is there a private developer will build a garage to replace those 250 stalls. Why does the city have to force it on anyone? The city pays for maintaining roads, sewers, and for running the trains & buses--if people want cars then let them pay for it. I see no justification for the city mandating that X parking stalls must be maintained in a given neighborhood just so that it can be cheap for you.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #1604
InTheValley

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=29676

By Alby Gallun, June 04, 2008
Sources familiar with the property say Mr. Warman continues to seek investors to buy part or all of a 52-story mixed-use tower he wants to build on the site, 300-310 N. Michigan Ave., currently home to a Walgreens, RadioShack and Subway restaurant...............
InTheValley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #1605
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Aloft Millennium Park
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #1606
ChicagoSchool

Likes (Received): 0

Spy,
This project was supposed to begin March '08:
http://www.ecdco.com/aloftmilleniumpark.htm
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #1607
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:03 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #1608
PrintersRowBoiler

From the aloft website:

aloft Chicago Millennium Park - Opening February 1, 2010

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofth...ropertyID=3021
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #1609
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

Nice tower!
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #1610
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

I understand how they're trying to capitalize on the Millennium Park name, but seriously... it's 6 blocks away (5 south and 1 west.) For comparison, Nordstrom's is also 6 blocks away (5 north and 1 west.) Not exactly honest marketing.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #1611
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I think they're betting that most visitors won't differentiate between Grand Park and Millennium Park.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #1612
Loopy
Chicago, USA

..]

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old June 7th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #1613
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Rokas International in trouble with the G.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...elop06.article
On a personal note, thanks for nothing A.A. I hope the feds track you down....that is, if some of your shady business partners didnt get to you first.
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #1614
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old June 8th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #1615
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
^EuroWhoopin? Or more local, say F&G?
Russian 'lenders'.
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #1616
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

Quote:
Rokas International in trouble with the G.
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...elop06.article
Rokas had an office suite next to the office suite of the company I worked for downtown… and their receptionist was hot. Now it’s empty... (they disappeared like after Christmas).
Satan's Mile Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #1617
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=29776

South Loop condos get $50-million construction loan
By Eddie Baeb, June 11, 2008

Sedgwick Properties Development Corp. has landed a $50-million construction loan for a new, 180-unit condominium building in the South Loop, in a deal that seems to defy the downtrodden condo market.

Dubbed Terrazio, the seven-story building is going up at 1935 S. Wabash Ave., thanks to the loan inked last month from Amalgamated Bank’s LongView Ultra Construction Loan Fund.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #1618
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #1619
Belacqua

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=28466

Joint venture to buy South Loop dorm

By: Alby Gallun March 05, 2008

(Crain’s) — A joint venture including student housing operator Scion Group LLC has agreed to pay $75 million for a 694-bed dormitory under construction in the South Loop.

Chicago-based Scion and ASB Capital Management LLC of Bethesda, Md., are buying the Dwight Lofts, a 16-story building at 626 S. Clark St. scheduled to open in time for the fall semester, says Scion President Robert Bronstein.

Scion, a minority partner in the joint venture redeveloping the property, is essentially bringing in a new investor to buy out its partner, Chicago-based developer Smithfield Properties LLC.

-----------

Further down in the story it says that they're marketing directly to students, without commitments from any of the schools in the area, which is making their debt less attractive. I wonder if that will also mean that this will be the party dorm of the area, since there would be no direct connection between the housing and the schools. It will also be interesting to see what this does for retail in the area, as it moves the center of student population significantly westward.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #1620
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:26 AM.