daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #1621
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
^If they ever build a Polk Street bridge, that area could become a UIC student neighborhood as well.
You think so? A Polk St. bridge will make the walk 8 blocks instead of 10-12 required by the Harrison St. bridge. The walk wouldnt exactly be scenic either.

The additional dorms probably aren't enough to meet the demand for the schools in the South Loop. I am half expecting Daley to push for another major dorm (he mentioned it in a speech a year or two ago). The lot at Dearborn and Harrison could be a contender due to the narrowness - too small for decent sized condos and parking. I would welcome a dorm similar to the one on State St.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #1622
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I recently noticed that it's shown on Columbia's campus maps (the ones posted in their buildings).
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #1623
milepig

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
You think so? A Polk St. bridge will make the walk 8 blocks instead of 10-12 required by the Harrison St. bridge. The walk wouldnt exactly be scenic either.

The additional dorms probably aren't enough to meet the demand for the schools in the South Loop. I am half expecting Daley to push for another major dorm (he mentioned it in a speech a year or two ago). The lot at Dearborn and Harrison could be a contender due to the narrowness - too small for decent sized condos and parking. I would welcome a dorm similar to the one on State St.
As a resident of this very area I do get a bit concerned about turning the entire neighborhood into one giant student ghetto. A mix is great, but this new building plus something at Dearborn/Harrison (a block away) is sounding like a bit much.

As an aside, does anyone know what the recessed space in the Clark St. building just above the old portion is? I fear that is is a big open party balcony, and there is another big open space on the roof. I can see an illuminated "exit" sign up there, so am guessing it is accessible space. Oh boy, rooftop parties in a dormitory.
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #1624
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
As a resident of this very area I do get a bit concerned about turning the entire neighborhood into one giant student ghetto. A mix is great, but this new building plus something at Dearborn/Harrison (a block away) is sounding like a bit much.
I think the students can blend nicely. A lot of them that will live in the new dorms will be moving out of apartments since the supply is so low and essentially will be replaced by non-students. Plus, with Burnham Pointe, Library Tower, One Place, Printers Corner, Roosevelt Collection, AMLI, etc., I think that they will be even more diluted. I think they add a level of life to the neighborhood that I enjoy.
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #1625
Belacqua

I heard a rumor, not sure of the ultimate source but I'm guessing Fioretti's office, that Avalon Bay had pushed back the start of their Clark/Polk project to 2009 rather than fall '08. Can anybody confirm?
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #1626
Belacqua

Quote:
I think the students can blend nicely...
I agree. I prefer a mixture of ages and socioeconomic levels to the monoculture that seems to be developing south of Roosevelt. (Not that Printers Row and points west are a hotbed of diversity, but the mix of housing types and visions of urbanity helps to stir things up a little.) Also, students don't demand parking along with their shelter as a sovereign right.
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #1627
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
I think the students can blend nicely. A lot of them that will live in the new dorms will be moving out of apartments since the supply is so low and essentially will be replaced by non-students. Plus, with Burnham Pointe, Library Tower, One Place, Printers Corner, Roosevelt Collection, AMLI, etc., I think that they will be even more diluted. I think they add a level of life to the neighborhood that I enjoy.
As a Printers Row resident myself, I completely agree.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #1628
southloopscotty

Quote:
I agree. They give vibrance to our community.
southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #1629
Belacqua

Goodbye, The Curve

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=29857

Developer puts South Loop site on the market

By Alby Gallun, June 18, 2008

(Crain’s) — A Chicago developer is seeking buyers for a 2.5-acre property in a fast-growing part of the South Loop after dropping plans to build a 600-unit apartment building there.

D2 Realty Services Inc. has hired CB Richard Ellis Inc. to sell the parcel at 1000 S. Clark St. with an asking price of $20 million. D2 paid $10.4 million for the property in August 2006, financing the acquisition with an $11-million loan from Fremont Investment & Loan, property records show.

D2 originally planned to build condominiums on the site but switched to apartments as the condo market softened. Lenders have become much tighter with their money since then, making it harder for developers of all property types to secure loans for new projects.

--------------------------

So nothing happening north of Target for a few years at least, even if the land sells quick, which seems unlikely. Bummer, I was looking forward to a little less desolation.
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #1630
PrintersRowBoiler

Don't say goodbye yet... if you read on, they explain that they felt they would make more money on the transaction of the land than the building itself without the risk - it sounds like developers have already made offers. They say that the financing was there. I hope this still happens...
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #1631
Belacqua

Well, this bit made it sound like the existing plan wasn't really part of the deal: "a development there could include as much as 75,000 square feet of retail space." It's unclear if that figure and the $33K price per unit they discuss is based on the plan for the Curve or just what the zoning or PD would permit.
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #1632
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

230 E Cermak hotel
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 04:15 AM   #1633
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Wow... this is the perfect height for the Cermak corridor. I'll even forgive the design... the base seems like something from Michigan Avenue.

By the way - this is NOT the hotel planned by Alter Group for the ABC Warehouse building site. I don't know anything about this project, but perhaps Alter Group didn't want to deal with expensive restoration work, so they bought a site 1 block west?
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #1634
Chicagotom

South Loop Update 6/24/2008

Vetro - Wells Street Wall

Roosevelt Collection from Polk

Pacific Garden Mission Coming Down - Library Tower behind

8th and State

Astoria Tower

Lexington Tower - Michigan and Cermack

Museum Point Tower 2

1600 MP

Marquee on Michigan - Looks worse than the picture if thats possible

Michigan Ave Tower2 & 1400 MP

Michigan Ave Tower 2

1400 MP

OMPW

Trump from 14th & Indiana
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #1635
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Thanks, Tom, for the comprehensive update. Good to see you back again. What's replacing the Pacific Garden Mission?
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #1636
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

^Jones HS expansion. It's part of the mayor's "build new public buildings to replace things I don't like seeing" program.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #1637
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Great update Tom!
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #1638
maxwellimus

Did anyone here about this development?

A hotel in Chinatown will be built to mimic the Grand Imperial Hotel in Taiwan as their theme. I saw interiors somewhere but can't find them online. The building looks gorgeous.

It says here at this link that it will be done in Summer 2009. Can't wait.
http://www.choosechicago.com/media/s...velopment.aspx

Here are a few pictures of the rendering.

maxwellimus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:17 PM   #1639
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=30047

Site near McCormick Place under contract
By Eddie Baeb, July 02, 2008

A New York developer has a tentative deal to buy a sought-after property near McCormick Place, where Skokie-based Alter Group Ltd. had hoped to build a mixed-use project with as many as 1,500 hotel rooms.

Extell Development Co. has the 3.7-acre American Book Co. site under contract and is about halfway through an 80-day due diligence period to buy the property at 320 E. Cermak Road and 2132 S. Calumet Ave., according to sources familiar with the matter.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:19 PM   #1640
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=30047

Site near McCormick Place under contract
By Eddie Baeb, July 02, 2008

A New York developer has a tentative deal to buy a sought-after property near McCormick Place, where Skokie-based Alter Group Ltd. had hoped to build a mixed-use project with as many as 1,500 hotel rooms.

Extell Development Co. has the 3.7-acre American Book Co. site under contract and is about halfway through an 80-day due diligence period to buy the property at 320 E. Cermak Road and 2132 S. Calumet Ave., according to sources familiar with the matter.