daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #1701
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Astoria Tower:
^ Awesome pic of an underphotographed project.

Ugh, Dearborn Park....ruins that whole part of town
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #1702
milepig

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearNorthGuy View Post
What is more important? Having a new Green Line stop at 18th Street, where it could be near (or combined) with a Red Line stop?

Or having a new Green Line Stop at Cermak,where it would give instant access to Chinatown and McCormick Place?
18th has my vote.

Chinatown is already served by the Red Line.

McCormick place normally has shuttle buses in place for the big conventions, and is served by Metra. In any case, the need for a CTA stop would be episodic, and little used when something wasn't going on. The occasional need could be easily served by running special shuttle buses from the Red Line at Chinatown.

Now, 18th truly is in the middle of a CTA dead zone. One major thing people who live down there complain about is the poor transporation. Everything involves either a transfer to a bus at Roosevelt, or walking from there. Bus service is sporadic at best, especially if commuting against the flow. People who live in the SL and work in Hyde Park report that commutes can easily take 45-60 minutes by bus, for the same route you can bike in 20 or drive in 10.
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #1703
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

18th! 18th!

I just moved to that area, and while i know a functional station would be years down the pipeline, it would help tremendously.

Speaking of which, any guesses on how long it will take to get a station opened at one of these locations??
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #1704
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
18th has my vote.

Chinatown is already served by the Red Line.

McCormick place normally has shuttle buses in place for the big conventions, and is served by Metra. In any case, the need for a CTA stop would be episodic, and little used when something wasn't going on. The occasional need could be easily served by running special shuttle buses from the Red Line at Chinatown.

Now, 18th truly is in the middle of a CTA dead zone. One major thing people who live down there complain about is the poor transporation. Everything involves either a transfer to a bus at Roosevelt, or walking from there. Bus service is sporadic at best, especially if commuting against the flow. People who live in the SL and work in Hyde Park report that commutes can easily take 45-60 minutes by bus, for the same route you can bike in 20 or drive in 10.
I completely agree. Cermak wouldn't be a bad spot, but at the same time, most events at McCormick are primarily attended by out-of-towners who are taking shuttle buses or cabs from their hotel....and Chinatown already has the Red Line.

For awhile, I've specifically thought about how there REALLY needed to be an el stop (green or orange), at around 17th or 18th. There are so many new residents over the past few years (and more to come) within a half mile radius who could greatly use a new stop - especially those residents a block or two south of of 18th, and closer to the lake. I think it's insane that there is currently only one el stop between Roosevelt and 35th, and east of Halsted.

I do think that after a stop on 18th, they should put a Green Line, but that one should be at 25th or 26th....which could service people on the Near South Side, Mercy Hospital, etc. And this would also be a fairly short walk to McCormick, as well. If we get the Olympics, I'm almost certain that they will add another stop around here as well!
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #1705
Sir Isaac Newton

I walked by Library Tower yesterday....looks like they are putting a CVS in on the north part of the ground level. Should be nice additional amenities, for people in Printers Loop and all the students in the superdorm and other nearby locations.

Also, it looks like one of the ground retail tenants at Vetro will be some sort of pantry/convenient store....
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #1706
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I see that Dwight Lofts, 642 S. Clark, has chosen a name and address and put up a website.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #1707
ShowGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearNorthGuy View Post
A notice from the Third Ward office: Possible New Green Line Station
NearNorthGuy thanks for posting! I live near here and would LOVE to see an el stop go in at 18th. I really don't mind the bus much, but would like other options for when I'm not going straight down Michigan and don't want to walk. I'll definitely be at the meeting if at all possible.
ShowGal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #1708
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowGal View Post
NearNorthGuy thanks for posting! I live near here and would LOVE to see an el stop go in at 18th. I really don't mind the bus much, but would like other options for when I'm not going straight down Michigan and don't want to walk. I'll definitely be at the meeting if at all possible.
Anyone go to the meeting????

EDIT: OOOOPS! Its tonight.
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:36 AM   #1709
ShowGal

I didn't make it.
ShowGal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:05 AM   #1710
southloopscotty

Lou Malnati's

Lou Malnati's is opening a new store at One Place!
I guess it'll go well with X-Sport.

I can't wait! We close on wednesday next week for our new condo!
southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:37 PM   #1711
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

does anybody know about this?

Chicago: Hom Chicago Apartments, 2039 S. Prairie Ave., 984-unit residential development, April 2010, $150 million

1000 units???
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:50 PM   #1712
dvidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by southloopscotty View Post
Lou Malnati's is opening a new store at One Place!
I guess it'll go well with X-Sport.

I can't wait! We close on wednesday next week for our new condo!
How did you find out about this? I live next door so thats great news
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:29 PM   #1713
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

I was going to mention Malnati's a few weeks/months ago but I thought people already knew. The other tenants so far are XSport, Starbucks, and UFood grill.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM   #1714
dvidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I was going to mention Malnati's a few weeks/months ago but I thought people already knew. The other tenants so far are XSport, Starbucks, and UFood grill.
Excellent on everything except the Starbucks. Not sure if that area really needs another one. Especially with the Caribou Coffee on Wabash & 8th
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:23 PM   #1715
southloopscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvidler View Post
How did you find out about this? I live next door so thats great news
They have a sign up looking for employees.
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:25 PM   #1716
southloopscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Sweet, I'm glad that the retail portion of the building is doing well. We can always use more eating establishments in the South Loop! Especially since I'll be living above them!
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:41 AM   #1717
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:15 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:49 AM   #1718
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Since when did the Aristocrat have 984 residential units?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:54 AM   #1719
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:15 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #1720
milepig

Sunday was a big "move in day" at The Dwight. I watched streams of people moving stuff in all day - and it was sort of fun to watch the "I've got to go to Target now" procession that began in the mid-afternoon. Target must have had a banner day!

The Dwight managment told me that 300 more people are moving in today, so things should be quite a bit more active on S. Clark, where it was feeling quite empty.
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote