daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #1721
Sir Isaac Newton

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Sunday was a big "move in day" at The Dwight. I watched streams of people moving stuff in all day - and it was sort of fun to watch the "I've got to go to Target now" procession that began in the mid-afternoon. Target must have had a banner day!

The Dwight managment told me that 300 more people are moving in today, so things should be quite a bit more active on S. Clark, where it was feeling quite empty.
I definitely noticed that there were more people walking on South Clark between Harrison and Polk, yesterday afternoon. It looks like at least a couple of people have moved into Burnham Pointe in the past few days or so, and that there are at least a handful of people who have moved into AMLI 900. Once everyone has moved into the Dwight, and more and more people move into Burnham Pointe/AMLI 900, plus the bank opens for business at the corner of Clark and Harrison, things are really going to be hopping. I'm sure that the owners of Pat's Pizza, Villians, and Blackies aren't going to complain
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #1722
milepig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
I definitely noticed that there were more people walking on South Clark between Harrison and Polk, yesterday afternoon. It looks like at least a couple of people have moved into Burnham Pointe in the past few days or so, and that there are at least a handful of people who have moved into AMLI 900. Once everyone has moved into the Dwight, and more and more people move into Burnham Pointe/AMLI 900, plus the bank opens for business at the corner of Clark and Harrison, things are really going to be hopping. I'm sure that the owners of Pat's Pizza, Villians, and Blackies aren't going to complain
From the lights in the windows the AMLI is certainly slowly filling up, Burnham Pointe still looks very scruffy, but maybe a couple units are occupied - hard to tell. But, work is certainly at a snail's pace.
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #1723
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Yeah, I have seen a lot more people... mostly students. School started this week. I read taht Amli has rented out something like 40% of its units and considers itself ahead of schedule. I find it doubtful taht BP will be as successful with their price points.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #1724
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Folks are definitely living in Burnham Pointe. The doorman told me that 10 days ago, and I met a guy moving in on Sunday night.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #1725
southloopscotty

Polk Entrance Being Reopened?

Sorry if this is old news... My wife heard about yesterday and i found this article.

From the CTA Tattler http://www.ctatattler.com/2008/06/a-new-south-ent.html

A new south entrance/exit at Harrison Red Line station?

An alert reader last week tipped me off to the fact that the CTA may be preparing to open the now-shuttered south entrance to the Harrison Red Line station. It's at Polk Street.

Here's a little history on the old Polk Street entrance, from Chicago-l.org:

Harrison originally had an auxiliary exit to Polk Street at the south end of the island platform for the convenience of passengers using the station to get to Dearborn Station -- one-time passenger terminal for several railroads including the Santa Fe, Erie Railroad, Monon Route, Grand Trunk Railroad, Chicago and Eastern Illinois, and Wabash Railroad -- one block west. The exit consisted of stairs up to a mezzanine level, where there were rotogates in a hallway (there was no ticket agent or entry access here), then two sets of stairs to the street. They were built so that one of the two exit-only rotogates could be replaced with a coin-operated entrance high-barrier gate, but this was never done here or at any of the auxiliary subway exits. The Polk exit to Harrison was closed on June 27, 1968, the same day that the Ohio exit from Grand/State closed.

When I asked the CTA about the entrance possibly opening, I got a very terse reply: "It is under consideration."

Last edited by southloopscotty; August 27th, 2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Condensing Article
southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #1726
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

A meeting was held in the 801 S. Plymouth building a couple of weeks ago, to tell them that they would be losing their loading zone for a couple of months while the reopening work was done. The reopening was confidently reported as happening this fall, I was told.
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #1727
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Folks are definitely living in Burnham Pointe. The doorman told me that 10 days ago, and I met a guy moving in on Sunday night.
Yes, I can count at least six occupied units on the west side of the building. I can also tell what several of them like to watch on TV, and they can probably tell you what brand of pants I'm wearing. Time for better blinds.

The garage doesn't seem to be in use yet, so I'm not sure where they're parking, if they are parking.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #1728
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
From the lights in the windows the AMLI is certainly slowly filling up, Burnham Pointe still looks very scruffy, but maybe a couple units are occupied - hard to tell. But, work is certainly at a snail's pace.
I can see Burnham Pointe right across the street from me, from my condo. There has actually been a ton of work going on at the site - including on the weekends. Perhaps it just seems like not much is going on because most of the recent work has been internal - working on the units and putting in the flooring, kitchen appliances, bathrooms, etc. They've also installed just about all the windows and balcony railings, where the crane was originally located until it was taken down a few weeks ago. They also paved the sidewalk, did some landscaping, have been working on the fitness room and public terrace, in the past few weeks as well.

If any development has been moving at a snail's pace, in the South Loop, I'd have to say it is 1 East 8th. It was supposedly going to be completed months ago - and as a member of XSport I was definitely looking forward to it opening. The XSport is going to open mid-late September, though, plus I recently read on here (and saw the signs afterwards) that a Lou Malnati's is opening there as well....so I guess good things come to those that wait!
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #1729
southloopscotty

Quote:
A meeting was held in the 801 S. Plymouth building a couple of weeks ago, to tell them that they would be losing their loading zone for a couple of months while the reopening work was done. The reopening was confidently reported as happening this fall, I was told.

Have you heard if it will be an exit only, or are the planning on making it an entrance as well?
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #1730
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

It will be a farecard-only entrance, like a couple dozen other auxiliary entrances on the CTA system. When they rebuild Harrison, which may come sooner than I would have guessed, this will become the only entrance for a while, with an attended farecard machine.

This will become a very significant entrance in a few years, when Columbia builds its new campus center at the NWC 8th/Wabash. When that happens, there will probably be more boardings at the Polk Street end than the Harrison end.
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #1731
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
This will become a very significant entrance in a few years, when Columbia builds its new campus center at the NWC 8th/Wabash. When that happens, there will probably be more boardings at the Polk Street end than the Harrison end.
Agreed....although with people starting to move into Burnham Pointe, AMLI 900, and 1 East 8th (and Astoria Tower probably at the beginning of 2009), this entrance will be somewhat significant even before the campus center opens.

Is there any new news on when Columbia plans to build their campus center? Has Buddy Guy found a new location? (I think I remember reading a few months ago that he was close to finding a new location - and not the building on Wabash that burnt down).
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #1732
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

^I thought Buddy Guy was renovating the Masonic Lodge building (SWC Balbo/Wabash) where Hothouse was.
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #1733
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:14 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #1734
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

^But here's the building permit.
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #1735
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:14 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #1736
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

I've never been in the building, but I would guess that the second floor was the lodge hall, a big room with relatively few columns, so that's where you would put the club space. Brudno is long gone, so only Kinko's remains on the first floor.

As for Columbia, I think they're only a couple of years from starting a campus center on that site. So if it's a parking lot, it won't be for long.
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #1737
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

1400 S. Michigan

Michigan Avenue Tower II's sidewalk is done! I can finally walk by it and not cross the street... The building also looks really nice, but it's the same color as the Marquee! Any ideas what retail will be down there?

Satan's Mile Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #1738
southloopscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
If any development has been moving at a snail's pace, in the South Loop, I'd have to say it is 1 East 8th. It was supposedly going to be completed months ago - and as a member of XSport I was definitely looking forward to it opening. The XSport is going to open mid-late September, though, plus I recently read on here (and saw the signs afterwards) that a Lou Malnati's is opening there as well....so I guess good things come to those that wait!
You're not kidding! We were supposed to close on our unit yesterday, but instead we are doing our walk through later on this morning. It was supposed to be done last fall! Oh well, I hope it means that it's well built.
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #1739
milepig

Linens and Things closing

Well, that didn't take long. Went into Linens and Things in the Whole Foods building today, and was surprised to see "closing sale" signs. It was open, what, less than a year?
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #1740
southloopscotty

Quote:
Well, that didn't take long. Went into Linens and Things in the Whole Foods building today, and was surprised to see "closing sale" signs. It was open, what, less than a year?

I think Linens n' Things is having financial troubles. If I recall correctly, they filed Chapter 11.

On another note, we did our walkthrough at One Place today. A few problems need to be addressed, but I'm very excited about moving in there!