daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #1741
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by southloopscotty View Post
I think Linens n' Things is having financial troubles. If I recall correctly, they filed Chapter 11.
Yes they did. The store by Whole Foods is not the only location closing.

On a side note, Bed, Bath, and Beyond has supposedly bought space somewhere on Roosevelt in this area, but I'm not sure where.
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2008, 07:33 AM   #1742
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Taken today:
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:30 AM   #1743
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Yes they did. The store by Whole Foods is not the only location closing.

On a side note, Bed, Bath, and Beyond has supposedly bought space somewhere on Roosevelt in this area, but I'm not sure where.
Beyond is going to be on top of the Best Buy on Roosevelt. I wanted to go buy some curtain rods, but all I saw were "Bed, Bath, Beyond Coming Soon" signs.
Satan's Mile Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM   #1744
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan's Mile Boy View Post
Beyond is going to be on top of the Best Buy on Roosevelt. I wanted to go buy some curtain rods, but all I saw were "Bed, Bath, Beyond Coming Soon" signs.

Cool! Thanks!
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #1745
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

Columbia College buys land for production facility (1600 S. State St.)

http://www.chitowndailynews.org/Chic...facility,15687

I think I can see this land outside my window. The lot looks like it was scraped, but it was probably because of all the rain over the weekend. I'm surprised the school is building this far out from Roosevelt. There needs to be an El stop at around 17th/State to help these students get around... (and me )
Old September 24th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #1746
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Astoria Tower, 20 Sept 08

Next door, the first residents have moved into One Place.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #1747
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Aloft Hotel

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #1748
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan's Mile Boy View Post
Columbia College buys land for production facility (1600 S. State St.)

http://www.chitowndailynews.org/Chic...facility,15687

I think I can see this land outside my window. The lot looks like it was scraped, but it was probably because of all the rain over the weekend. I'm surprised the school is building this far out from Roosevelt. There needs to be an El stop at around 17th/State to help these students get around... (and me )

This makes me angry. Why is the City giving away land? Columbia College pays no property taxes and in my opinion, Columbia needs to give something back to the City. While developers are putting in street furniture and new sidewalks adjacent to their projects, Columbia refuses to do so playing the poor card. Their lack of security as they infest the South Loop is a joke too.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #1749
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...29&TM=81064.45

Market madness hits high-profile projects
Delays in building and slower sales—‘The market hasn’t allowed us to construct it’

By MICAH MAIDENBERG

...For now, the project remains stalled by the crunch in financing and slower than expected sales. The southwest corner of 18th and Wabash, site of the future building, remains a fenced-in vacant lot. It's not where Rick Turner, a principal at Dynaprop, developer of Eco18, wanted to be when he conceived of the building three years ago.

...Occupancy in Eco18 was slated for late 2009. But Turner is now hoping to build by 2010 or 2011. Around 20 percent of the 93-unit building has been pre-sold.

...In the South Loop, Keith Giles of Kargil Development, the firm behind X/O, a twin-tower project near 18th and Prairie said, "We thought we'd be in the ground by now."

Seventy percent of the first X/O tower has been pre-sold, he said. But Giles estimated traffic at the X/O sales office (now open by appointment only) is off 50 percent this year over 2007.

-----

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #1750
SouthLoop

condo values

Just for kicks I logged onto MLS yesterday and was pretty shocked to see what kind of condo price reductions are out there on developer units. One 1BR at Vetro was just reduced by $48K, and another was just cut by $37K, making it $11,000 less than what I paid for the same plan on a much lower floor, on which I got pre-construction pricing almost 3 years ago! In other words, prices now are far less than they were pre-construction. Good time to buy?!
SouthLoop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #1751
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

Good time to buy? YES! Bad time to refi or sell? Yes & Yes.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1752
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
This makes me angry. Why is the City giving away land? Columbia College pays no property taxes and in my opinion, Columbia needs to give something back to the City. While developers are putting in street furniture and new sidewalks adjacent to their projects, Columbia refuses to do so playing the poor card. Their lack of security as they infest the South Loop is a joke too.
I could be mistaken, but the article did say that Columbia paid $200k for the parcel of land.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #1753
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
I could be mistaken, but the article did say that Columbia paid $200k for the parcel of land.
You are correct... they did pay $200K. You cannot get an acre piece of land in Oswego for $200K now. Somehow I doubt the land has decreased in value from $389K in 1989. I am sure the City paid for the environmental remediation too.
Old October 7th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #1754
Chitowner245

The more columbia is able to expand the better. The school certainly isn't poor, but they need to spend much more of their own cash now due to the financial meltdown. The school has expanded rapidly, and will continue to do so as long as the city accomodates their needs, which is a smart thing to do. I know a lot of people think it's unfair to give the school these types of benefits, but the economic and cultural benefits the school provides to the city in return far outweighs the unfairness of the benefits it receives. Where do you think the south loop would be right now without the expansion of these schools? I've only lived in the south loop for 3 years, but just in that short period of time I have been able to see the tremendous benefits that all these additional students have had on the area. Also, 16th and state from the university center is no more than a 15 minute walk, so don't tell me the students need a transit station there. The cost of such a project isn't justified by the amount of density currently there, or will be there in the next 3-4 years.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #1755
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner245 View Post
Also, 16th and state from the university center is no more than a 15 minute walk, so don't tell me the students need a transit station there. The cost of such a project isn't justified by the amount of density currently there, or will be there in the next 3-4 years.
I can walk between the redline Jackson stop and the Harrison in less than a minute. If there's extra funds available, I don't really care how much it'd cost to build another station between Chinatown and Roosevelt. If the city needs to ask people for money, then don't build one. It’s not just the students that would use it, residents would also take advantage of it. Ever since the new buildings closed on S. Michigan, the bus stops are busy in the morning and there’s foot traffic from people going to the Roosevelt Station. If I was a student, I'd be pissed if I had to walk all the way down to 16th/State from University Village just for one class. Plus, that area is a dead zone if you have to go there for a night class. I do agree (with PrintersRowBoiler) that the school should be more proactive in beautifying areas around its buildings. The sidewalks around their buildings were always crap and it wasn't until now when the city decided to redo Wabash/Michigan that it looks nice.
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #1756
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner245 View Post
The more columbia is able to expand the better. Where do you think the south loop would be right now without the expansion of these schools? I've only lived in the south loop for 3 years, but just in that short period of time I have been able to see the tremendous benefits that all these additional students have had on the area.
I don't mind Columbia expanding... but the "campus" is so scatterbrained and it is starting to take over the South Loop. Printers Row in particular is having problems with the students. Bar Louie went in front of the City in a hearing with the Alderman and may lose their liquor license because of problems, and cop cars / paddy wagons flooded Clark Street a week or two ago trying to corral students that were in the streets and causing problems. There has been numerous complaints about the lack of control at Dwight Lofts - but since Columbia is not "techincally" associated, they provide no security. There is no police control either. I believe the alderman is meeting with the universities to discuss these issues. Other colleges have campus security and the fact that their campus is so intermingled with the South Loop gives even more reason to provide security. Where would the South Loop be? Until 5 years ago, very few students lived on campus... the South Loop with the exception of University Center and Dwight Lofts would be very similar to what it is now. I will agree they provide some benefit, but nothing tremendous. I truly believe they have an adverse affect on property value in the South Loop. Plus they pay no property taxes!
Old October 9th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #1757
Chitowner245

^ Ok, I definitely see your point there. I have to admit that I'm not in Printer's Row all the time, and I haven't been practically at all since the new student residence on clark opened. If it's as bad as you say then I definitely understand your view and take your side side on that. I live in central station, so that problem doesn't persist much at all down here. Did Bar Louie have problems with kids and their fake I.D.s or something? Security is definitely a noticeable problem, and it's inexcusable that the college hasn't hired at least 3 more huge guys to lay the law down when and where necessary. The least they could do is hire people to work thurs, fri, sat nights to get those drinking students in line.
Old October 9th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #1758
PrintersRowBoiler

Bar Louie's problem is they run their restaurant like a club on the weekends without the requirements of a club (i.e. security, ID checking, etc.) Their outdoor patio can get rowdy and when the bar shuts down at 2 AM (I think) on the weekends, there is mad chaos in the streets. The problem is really with them - none of the other bars have these problems.

The worst night at Dwight was sort of an isolated incident. Apparently Columbia College booked an event (without supplying security) in the lounge and they ended up with something like 3-fold more people than capacity. Thats when the fire alarm went off and everything went crazy!

A lot of the problems we have would be solved if the universities would provide security. They expect the City's finest to police their students. Where I went to school (Purdue), en route from the bar to our home we all kept quiet because there were lots of police/excise/security roaming the streets handing out PI's.
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #1759
Chitowner245

Purdue cracked down on underage drinking at the tailgates with police disguised as tailgating alumni. I received one of those tickets my freshman year. Perhaps they could disguise chicago cops as homeless people.
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #1760
milepig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
The worst night at Dwight was sort of an isolated incident. Apparently Columbia College booked an event (without supplying security) in the lounge and they ended up with something like 3-fold more people than capacity. Thats when the fire alarm went off and everything went crazy!
I can see (and hear) The Dwight from my loft, and witnessed much of the incident. I was awakened at about 1:30 in the morning by a huge commotion, and sat out on the balcony for a long time watching hundreds of people pouring out of the building and milling about the street - urinating in the alleys, etc. Police were everywhere and the fire alarms were indeed blaring. Earlier in the evening, I also saw the beginning of the event in the lounge (on something like the 11th floor) when there were people lined up to get in the building and the lounge was already packed, someone should have realized much earlier that there was a problem brewing.

That incident aside, my observation is that the Dwight is a mess. I'm happy to have more people in the neighborhood, but the Dwight appears to have attracted a large group of people who just sort of hang around, and frankly many of them don't look like students - I work with college students everyday, and many of the people I see hanging around Clark/Harrison don't fit the student profile, even allowing for the type of students at Columbia. These people are just plain rough. It seems like everyone of a certain age who has nothing better to do than hang out on the street has been attracted to the building like flies to honey. If you read the police blotter you will see incidents reported at the Dwight almost every day - frequently assaults. The neighborhood used to be pretty safe at all hours - now I'm a little concerned to walk the dog after about 10:00.
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote