daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #1761
Belacqua

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
That incident aside, my observation is that the Dwight is a mess. I'm happy to have more people in the neighborhood, but the Dwight appears to have attracted a large group of people who just sort of hang around, and frankly many of them don't look like students - I work with college students everyday, and many of the people I see hanging around Clark/Harrison don't fit the student profile, even allowing for the type of students at Columbia. These people are just plain rough. It seems like everyone of a certain age who has nothing better to do than hang out on the street has been attracted to the building like flies to honey. If you read the police blotter you will see incidents reported at the Dwight almost every day - frequently assaults. The neighborhood used to be pretty safe at all hours - now I'm a little concerned to walk the dog after about 10:00.
I live around the (other) corner from there and go past there quite a bit, too. I think a lot of the "rough" types you're seeing are just your garden variety stoner. Time was, they just sat in their room and smoked and gradually failed out of school. But now the smoking ordinance requires that they have to stand out on the sidewalk for much of that time.

Much of the problem with the Dwight probably has to do with its isolation. Once they leave campus for the day, there's not a hell of a lot for poor students to do around there, especially those under 21. I expect that as more coffee shops and record stores and bongmongers and other typical college-area retail start to fill the void (even once the expanded Pat's opens) we'll see less of the aimless loitering. Speaking of, has anybody been to Villains since the Dwight opened? I imagine that guy is sitting on a gold mine now, as long as he can avoid the license violations.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #1762
milepig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
Speaking of, has anybody been to Villains since the Dwight opened? I imagine that guy is sitting on a gold mine now, as long as he can avoid the license violations.
I walk past Villains at about 10:30 every night. It remains as much an enigma as ever. 9 times out of ten there are no more than a handfull of people at the bar, but then on some seemingly random night you coudn't get another person in there if you tried. I actually think that the Dwight with the people hanging around out front won't make any differene.

Is Pat's really expanding? I haven't seen any sign of it.
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #1763
Belacqua

Quote:
Is Pat's really expanding? I haven't seen any sign of it.
Well, that was the plan and I had assumed they were still going ahead with it. I saw something inside the storefront to their south a couple days ago marked "Pat's Pizza" so I figured that was the beginnings of things. There's a new license in that window too, with Smithfield Properties as the responsible party. I didn't catch what it was for, but I assumed it was construction.
Old October 19th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #1764
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

Are you guys are talking about Pat's Pizza on S. Clark St? Where are they expanding to? The same location (adding an eat-in area)? For the price, I like their food. Though some people I know had problems with their CC #'s being stolen whenever they use one for delivery orders.
Satan's Mile Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #1765
milepig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan's Mile Boy View Post
Are you guys are talking about Pat's Pizza on S. Clark St? Where are they expanding to? The same location (adding an eat-in area)? For the price, I like their food. Though some people I know had problems with their CC #'s being stolen whenever they use one for delivery orders.
That's the one. There are permits on the windows of the space just south of where they currently are, but I've been too lazy to walk across the street to see what they say. Pat's somehow manages to survive having a building completely reconstructed around them. How, I'll never understand. This is the first I've heard of CC number problems with their delivery people.
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM   #1766
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
That's the one. There are permits on the windows of the space just south of where they currently are, but I've been too lazy to walk across the street to see what they say. Pat's somehow manages to survive having a building completely reconstructed around them. How, I'll never understand. This is the first I've heard of CC number problems with their delivery people.
The permits are vague and give no real indication on the work. I believe it says something to the effect that it is a revision to previous permit numbers.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #1767
milepig

Burnham Pointe trailer being torn down - finally

Odd, actually.

At long last the sales trailer from the Burnham Pointe project (when it was still condo) at the corner of Polk/Dearborn (across from Hackney's) is being removed. The odd part is that it is being physically torn down. Its a trailer, and I always assumed it was leased from some generic sales trailer leasing agency. I wonder why they're tearing it down instead. Must be some back story here.
Old October 25th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #1768
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

And the Library Tower trailer was loaded on wheels today too...
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #1769
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

Lexington Park is almost done! That area actually looks nicer now... If that old building near it was gone, the neighborhood would look really nice. Is that a housing project?

Old October 27th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #1770
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

They're all housing projects. Some are subsidized directly and some through the mortgage interest deduction.

Both Long Grove House (2001 S. Michigan) and 2101 S. Michigan are rental buildings financed through the Section 236 program in the early 70s. 2101 is a Lowenberg & Lowenberg design from 1971.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #1771
MikeAR303

...and they need to be demolished. The residents of these buildings seem to become more violent/aggressive as the weather gets colder. My girlfriend and I along with some friends of ours were attacked by a team of two bums Saturday night leaving Cuatro just down the street. They followed us while one attempted to grab my girlfriends purse, another tried to punch a friend of mine, and both of them were saying things like "you in my neighborhood now" (funny, since I live basically next door).

When I led them into the middle of Michigan Ave. and called the police, both of them ran in to 2001 S. Michigan.
MikeAR303 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #1772
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Used to live at 16th and Michigan, and while we had no fears walking south of 20th during the day, we purposely kept north of 18th in the evenings. These buildings and their residents were not terribly "welcoming and neighborly" towards us, to put it politely. It did make for some interesting discussions regarding gentrification though.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #1773
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAR303 View Post
...and they need to be demolished. The residents of these buildings seem to become more violent/aggressive as the weather gets colder.
Perhaps you can explain how that will be changed by tearing down the building.
Old October 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #1774
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^What's the connection to the South Loop?
None, wasn't paying close attention to where I was posting it. South this, south that

Last edited by nomarandlee; October 28th, 2008 at 08:40 PM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #1775
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

^What's the connection to the South Loop?
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:32 AM   #1776
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

I was told there's construction/demolition today going on around 1600 S. Wabash? (not the 1555 Wabash) If it's true, anyone know what's going up there?
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #1777
realestatexprt

I read somewhere a while back that the city of chicago is turning that lot into a public park.
realestatexprt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #1778
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by realestatexprt View Post
I read somewhere a while back that the city of chicago is turning that lot into a public park.
I was hoping it would be a park. I walked by it and the permit paper said it was owned by the city...
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #1779
Belacqua

Word in the dog park is that the SWC Clark/Polk Avalon Bay project is on indefinite hold. Can anyone here confirm or deny?
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #1780
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

Anyone interested in buying a 2 bed 2 bath condo at 1250 S. Michigan Ave? I can't hold on to it anymore. For one, the newest buildings being put up a block or two south are not selling at all, so the developers are flipping them into rentals at 1800 to 2000 a month on the upper floors. My previous tenant was paying me 2100 a month. Worst is, there is a shore sale in my building for 375,000 (that's about 15,000 less than what I paid for it 3 years ago). Looks like the bank will be inheriting another piece of property.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote