daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #161
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
^Thanks for the report.

I snooped around the AMLI site to look for a pad for the new crane, and I didn't see one.

I am very curious about this.
That crane was for Burnham Point. They just used the site for staging.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #162
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...realestate-hed

Prairie District group objects to tower plan

By Jeanette Almada

Special to the Tribune
Published April 8, 2007

Near South Side residents who constitute the Prairie District Neighborhood Alliance say that they are pro-development, but they expect to bring a new level of scrutiny to projects planned for their historic district.

More important, they assert, they will intensify their fight for developer accountability on construction defects.

At its March meeting, local developer Rokas International presented a plan to build a 40-story tower on the northwest corner of 21st Street and Prairie Avenue. The plan was not well received, according to Jeff Ayersman, the group's treasurer.

"Its height is clearly not consistent with the city's Near South Community Plan for Prairie Avenue," Ayersman said. That plan, formed by the Chicago Department of Planning and Development with input from area residents, allows buildings of four to six stories for Prairie Avenue. "That is the scale of existing mansions and townhouses in the area," Ayersman said.

"We are focused on issues that affect the quality of life in our community such as education and schools; proposed residential and commercial developments; zoning regulations; traffic improvements and protecting the architectural integrity of the Prairie District," Ayersman said.

High on the group's list of priorities is quality in development projects, backed by assurances from developers.

"Developers need to be more accountable," Ayersman said of developers who build projects under limited liability companies that they form for individual projects. Those entities are often dissolved after each project's unit is sold, leaving condo associations and condo buyers with huge bills for defect repairs.

"We are just beginning to get an idea of how extensive the problem is and are starting to pull together statistics regarding how many buyers are suing developers," Ayersman said.

"A lot of associations don't want to talk about the problem, fearing that they won't sell their units."

Alerted by media reports of lawsuits against developers for defective construction, Mayor Richard Daley on April 4 invited an alliance board member to a private meeting to discuss defect-motivated special assessments, and to ask for recommendations concerning the city's role in addressing quality assurance problems.

"We want developers to provide escrow protection for buyers and want the city to consider looking at the developer's history, to see if past projects have required special assessments after the development was completed," Ayersman said.

Chicago Department of Planning and Development staff members attended the group's March meeting.

While the group recommended a smaller building in response to Rokas International's 40-story tower pitch last month, other high-rises have been slated for construction in the district that are taller than the city's Near South Community Plan allows. The alliance is attempting to halt issuance of a city construction permit for one of them.

"Under that plan, 20-story buildings are allowed on streets just off of Prairie Avenue, such as Cullerton Avenue and 18th Street; and high-rise buildings taller than 20-stories are allowed on the Prairie District's periphery -- on Cermak Road, Indiana Avenue, Michigan Avenue and Calumet Avenue," Ayersman said.

"The city went through all of that expense to form the Near South Plan, and then they say it is just a guide and allow a high-rise building in a district not zoned for high-rises," he said.

Formed in October 2006, the group's influence will depend on the support it receives from Ald. Madeline Haithcock (2nd), who will now subject all developers who want to build in the Prairie District to the alliance's review process.

Funny!!!

Their historic neighborhood huh!!! Little piss-ants have been there less than 5 minutes and now their claiming is as their own. i hope they bump up that 40 story building to 60 and I hope the developers of X/O have to drive steel piles rather than use caissons.

The south loop plan and it's die hard followers can go jump in the lake, but you know they'll probably drive into it because heaven-for-bit they actually use their legs to walk anywhere.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #163
Belacqua

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Besides the Curve, what ever happened to Lennar's project? I mean, I know they decided not to go ahead with it, but were they planning on bringing it back in the future or selling the land or something else? It would have been an amazing sight to see new towers from the Target north (Curve, AMLI, Lennar (3), and Burnham Pointe).
I recently heard a rumor that Lennar will be doing something on this site soon, but it won't look anything like the original plan--perhaps more in line with Lennar's core business of suburban-style lowrise stuff. Total rumor at this point, though. I personally find it hard to believe, since that's such a valuable parcel and is zoned DX-12 or -16, I think.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #164
Chicagotom

Buddy Guys applies for S. Wabash Liquor Licence

In the Sun Times today Chicago Legends was listed as applying for a liquor license at 2109 - 2111 S. Wabash. So add Buddy Guys, Velvet Room and the Chicago Jazz Showcase to the list of clubs that are positioning themselves for the New McCormick Place Entertain District. If the market proves itself the owners of Kuma's Corner, a heavy metal burger joint currently at 2900 W. Belmont is also considering a expansion to this future hopping district.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #165
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom View Post
In the Sun Times today Chicago Legends was listed as applying for a liquor license at 2109 - 2111 S. Wabash. So add Buddy Guys, Velvet Room and the Chicago Jazz Showcase to the list of clubs that are positioning themselves for the New McCormick Place Entertain District. If the market proves itself the owners of Kuma's Corner, a heavy metal burger joint currently at 2900 W. Belmont is also considering a expansion to this future hopping district.
Wow, that's great news for Buddy Guy...as well as for the Near South Side!
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #166
ErmDiego
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

A few other plans for the area, include Hilton redoing one of the Landmark buildings for a botique hotel, a coffee shop on Indiana & 23rd or 24th, a wine shop in the same vicinity, and the restrauraunt & HAll at the old Chicago Defender building (not sure if this is Kleiner or Daley's buddy who has Fire Station Restaraunt).

The street scape along Indiana and the new McCormick expansion turned out better than I had hopped...will be a prime restaraunt space soon for events.
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #167
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:45 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #168
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #169
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #170
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
I recently heard a rumor that Lennar will be doing something on this site soon, but it won't look anything like the original plan--perhaps more in line with Lennar's core business of suburban-style lowrise stuff. Total rumor at this point, though. I personally find it hard to believe, since that's such a valuable parcel and is zoned DX-12 or -16, I think.
If they were to build townhomes, that would be such a waste of such a large, prime city location!
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #171
ErmDiego
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
You're the leader of a big-ass neighborhood organization, and thats all you have to throw down with! Come on, out with it.
More later, I am looking there myself. What's funny is that area is probably the most protected in the city, with the Landmark Buildings, while there are no residents to review or comment on anything. Go figure. I think the window is still open for a decent buy; if the Olympics happen, 'FREGETABOUTIT', that place will boom. The problem is timing of the current market versus when it will be decided if Chicago would be the international winner. But the nice thing is that with the Landmark buildings, your initial holding costs for 7-8 years would be about $2500-$3000 per year less than the rest of the market with the Tax Freeze incentive offered on certain buildings.
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #172
Sir Isaac Newton

1555 South Wabash

I heard an ad on the radio today for 1555 South Wabash. In it, they mentioned the groundbreaking date....I think I remember the date they gave was April 21st.
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #173
Chicagotom

True Rock Ministries to build new church

I have seen the renderings for the church across the street from 1555. True Rock Ministries purchased the lot at the corner of 16th and Wabash, currently a gravel parking lot. A 4 story building with a 2 story below ground parking level and a green roof. 1000 seat sanctuary and 4th floor community gym a complete makeover of the existing building's facade to match the new building. I'll see if I can get some electronic copies
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #174
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #175
Chicagotom

Loopy,

Your the man! I did'nt think to check there before I posted. That is a very rough draft of what I saw. I'll still check to see if there is more.
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #176
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:42 AM.
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #177
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

True Rock presented this project at Near South Planning Board Tuesday. They envision it as more of a community center, with workout facilities and a gym and meeting rooms, so that it would be used for most of the day every day. The demographics of a church like this are a little different from how most of us see the South Loop, so I'm not sure exactly how that will work out.

They're providing parking in the basement, as Chicagotom said, though the project is too small for that to be required in their zoning district. They also have a shared parking arrangement with St. Agnes.

The existing building, a timber-frame loft that True Rock renovated in the early 90s, will be refaced with new brick to match the new building. I guess there's water-infiltration and efflorescence problems with the existing face brick, which is the outermost of three layers.

I suggested the architect consider more closely spacing the mullions, so the corner curve would be smoother, and choose carefully the reflective glass there so it wouldn't be Houston-style schlock.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #178
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #179
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

Im usually cool with churches in neighborhoods, (unless its the scientology people, dont want Tom Cruise walking around) but especially if they have a community center type atmosphere and are accessible to people in the area.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #180
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:41 AM.