daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #1901
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I think the Printers Row Presidents organization objection was more about them being a player than about anything substantive. They sent a letter with a couple dozen questions, and wanted a letter responding to those. Apparently, Enrique didn't show up for a scheduled meeting with the church's lawyer Monday night, but came to the hearing Tuesday to bleat about not having gotten a written response.

I guess there's also misinformation floating around about the number of employees. Apparently the original attorney a couple of years ago accidentally said there would be 180 employees, when there will actually be 35, fewer than a dozen of them working full-time.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #1902
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Looks like the Scientology zoning change was approved, according to Chicago Journal.

Sorry, too lazy to post the link...
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #1903
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
Looks like the Scientology zoning change was approved, according to Chicago Journal.

Sorry, too lazy to post the link...
Great news! I am actually dissappointed in the reduction in the number of employees but am excited that this is moving forward (assuming City Council rubber stamps it). I hope Fioretti follows through and restricts the pamphlet distributing on Clark St (and elsewhere in the area).

Dennis, how come SLN did not take any position in the matter?

I enjoy Perez' enthusiasm when it comes to watching out for the neighborhood, but sometimes I wonder if he is crossing the line and making the neighborhood look too NIMBY (and consequently misrepresenting Printers Row). The fact he actually expressed unease for a drug rehab center at this building at a ZBA meeting does not sit well with me (as does the fact that the neighborhood is now "represented" by a group of people that requires the members to be president of a condo association).

How come South Loop Neighbors is starting to fizzle out? They were the first group to come in and really have a grass roots effort to represent what was going on around this area. Is it the lack of interest in participation? Is it Fioretti? I have always thought they have been very fair in their support (or lack thereof) of projects. I enjoyed that they would fascillitate an open meeting with the community when developers come in so everyone can have their issues discusses, not just the presidents of the associations behind closed doors.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #1904
Belacqua

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
The fact he actually expressed unease for a drug rehab center at this building at a ZBA meeting does not sit well with me (as does the fact that the neighborhood is now "represented" by a group of people that requires the members to be president of a condo association).
I agree with you on the specific case, but I think a board presidents' group is not so bad in theory. At something like SLN you tend to get more of the residents who are highly motivated for one reason or another, and also have time to seriously participate, which is not everyone in the neighborhood by any means.

A presidents' group is, in theory, representing the interests of their individual buildings and the residents who elected them, who have interests/desires of their own but aren't necessarily going to put in the time to come to SLN meetings. Having both types of views represented is useful, I think. (If the presidents are accurately representing the views/interests of their residents, which is not necessarily the case.) The thing is, I don't know how many condo residents even know that their presidents are acting for them in this way. This is the first time I've really heard of them elevated into anything more than an information-trading role, though, so maybe they're just drunk with power at being asked by the alderman for their okay on something.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #1905
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
I can only give one data point, but the reports from our president are limited to "I went to the meeting and the Church of Scientology came up". Maybe she reports more to the board, but certainly not in the monthly meetings.
Yeah, that's where the theory falls apart. Also, some boards are more representative than others, and they may suffer from the same highly motivated/time on their hands issues as any other volunteer role.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #1906
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
how come SLN did not take any position in the matter?
I think SLN felt they didn't really have a dog in that fight. To treat the Church of Scientology and its few employees and members as something completely different from another business or institution of such modest size is to implicitly make a value judgment on the church itself. And the parking hysteria was just surreal, for a near-Loop location with mostly night and weekend activities. The alderman did call SLN's president to discuss the rezoning, and they discussed what conditions it might be wise to include—as well as the legal trickiness of doing so. Restricting sidewalk leafleting or solicitation, for instance, would be blatantly unconstitutional, though the church said at the meeting they had no plans to do so and the pedestrian counts on South Clark would probably cause them to give up from boredom anyway.

Quote:
How come South Loop Neighbors is starting to fizzle out?
I don't think it is. In the current climate, there are obviously many fewer developments being proposed, and Alderman Fioretti likes to have one public meeting that he sponsors rather than letting the developers present to SLN and other associations. This became a point of some friction on the GP3 & 4 towers, as the alderman's office defended the one badly managed meeting in Oct. 2007, to which only Central Station residents were specifically invited, as sufficient neighborhood discussion of the proposal.

SLN is trying to do a number of "community building" activities, educational programs, and tours this year. There was a free dinner for members Feb. 11 at Trattoria Caterina, there will be a networking night March 11 at Grace Place, and (probably) a free members night at Jazz Showcase on March 24.
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #1907
milepig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
A presidents' group is, in theory, representing the interests of their individual buildings and the residents who elected them, who have interests/desires of their own but aren't necessarily going to put in the time to come to SLN meetings. Having both types of views represented is useful, I think. (If the presidents are accurately representing the views/interests of their residents, which is not necessarily the case.) The thing is, I don't know how many condo residents even know that their presidents are acting for them in this way. This is the first time I've really heard of them elevated into anything more than an information-trading role, though, so maybe they're just drunk with power at being asked by the alderman for their okay on something.
I can only give one data point, but the reports from our president are limited to "I went to the meeting and the Church of Scientology came up". Maybe she reports more to the board, but certainly not in the monthly meetings.
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM   #1908
milepig

Developer of Blake Hotel and other projects indicted in Ohio:

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=33164
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #1909
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

D2 talking about 60,000 sq ft of retail for 1000 South Clark.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder11.article
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #1910
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=33273

2 properties near McCormick Place face foreclosure
By Alby Gallun, March 11, 2009

...CenterPoint Properties, an Oak Brook-based firm best known as an owner of industrial properties, sued husband-and-wife developers Pam Gleichman and Karl Norberg of Maine last month, alleging that entities they controlled failed to pay back a $37.1-million loan when it came due on Feb. 21.

The loan covers two properties immediately north of the McCormick Place convention center: the former American Book Co. building at 330 E. Cermak Road and another property just to the west at 230 E. Cermak Road.

---
I was hoping the Extell deal would go through because they're usually willing to bring in better architects for their projects.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #1911
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
D2 talking about 60,000 sq ft of retail for 1000 South Clark.

Complete with (temporary) surface parking lot and pad site. Hopefully we'll get one of these fine establishments
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:12 AM   #1912
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Nice find, SG.

Dude, like what planet are you from? You seem to be the only forumer I know who can find the impossible. I was trying to find renderings of this project a few days ago and came up empty handed..
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #1913
Cullertonian

Does anyone know what’s going on with the yet-to-open A Capella restaurant at 13th & Michigan, next to Panozzo’s Italian grocety store? The place looks like it could open any day, but it’s looked that way for at least a year. Last spring they had signs announcing a scheduled opening in February ’08, then it was pushed to March ’08, and now it seems to be on permanent hiatus…
Cullertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #1914
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

You mean that restaurant next to Panozzo has yet to open? I walk by there almost everyday and I always thought they just opened late in the day and closed early. The tables/chairs in there look nice and clean. I want more food in this area. Anyone know if there's any new retail/interesting construction coming around 16th/Michigan? I thought St. Mary's Church was expanding?
Satan's Mile Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #1915
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Complete with (temporary) surface parking lot and pad site. Hopefully we'll get one of these fine establishments
How about a Trader Joe's! What about Carson's... they had said they wanted to move into the Roosevelt Collection and were denied. Or how about a Costco?
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #1916
robituss

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=33273

2 properties near McCormick Place face foreclosure
By Alby Gallun, March 11, 2009

...CenterPoint Properties, an Oak Brook-based firm best known as an owner of industrial properties, sued husband-and-wife developers Pam Gleichman and Karl Norberg of Maine last month, alleging that entities they controlled failed to pay back a $37.1-million loan when it came due on Feb. 21.

The loan covers two properties immediately north of the McCormick Place convention center: the former American Book Co. building at 330 E. Cermak Road and another property just to the west at 230 E. Cermak Road.

---
I was hoping the Extell deal would go through because they're usually willing to bring in better architects for their projects.
Isnt one of these properties (the west one) recently landmarked? I thought they wanted to knock it down and build another hotel. So anyone know whats going to happen now?
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #1917
Cullertonian

A Capella (restaurant next to Panozzo's) definitely has not opened. The space looks ready, there are permits posted on the windows, but nothing has changed for over a year. There must be a snag in getting the right permits, licensing, etc. Does anybody know hot to dig deeper and find out what's going on?
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #1918
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

Anyone know anything about the "Rock the House Ministry" (or whatever it's called) on 16th/Wabash? I think it's a church... I saw a sign there that stated a proposed expansion project for their current building. Since it's just a dead parking lot, I think it'll be a good addition to the neighborhood.

Cullertonian: I think we should just ask the Panozzo people if they know anything about ACapella since they are neighbors.
Satan's Mile Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #1919
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

True Rock Ministries is building an expansion to house offices, various after-school educational programs, and a fitness center. They've arranged to lease parking elsewhere on the block to replace the lost spaces.
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #1920
Cullertonian

SMB - agreed, but Panozzo's always seems to be closed when I walk by. Let me know if you hear anything.