daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #1941
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Construction fencing was supposed to go up this week, with a 120-day schedule. But at the last minute the alderman decided to hold a groundbreaking ceremony during the Printers Row Lit Fest, on June 6th.

The "typographers'" benches have not been value-engineered out, I was told, nor any other important feature. But I haven't seen bid documents or construction drawings.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #1942
ChicagoSchool

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Construction fencing was supposed to go up this week, with a 120-day schedule. But at the last minute the alderman decided to hold a groundbreaking ceremony during the Printers Row Lit Fest, on June 6th.

The "typographers'" benches have not been value-engineered out, I was told, nor any other important feature. But I haven't seen bid documents or construction drawings.
Budget obviously has been this new park's largest issue, and it appears the plan is to replace the existing mature trees around the fountain. Why the need for fresh new immature trees, especially when cost has been the holdup?
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #1943
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSchool View Post
Budget obviously has been this new park's largest issue, and it appears the plan is to replace the existing mature trees around the fountain. Why the need for fresh new immature trees, especially when cost has been the holdup?
I was hoping they would save those! Although with a budget of $1 million, the savings would be negligible. I thought I heard a good chunk of the money is required for soil remediation.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #1944
ChicagoSchool

The new park plan diagram shows a tree configuration different from what exists now. Thus the assumption for the replacement of the existing trees.

The diagram shows the trees in a rounded pattern around the fountain, while currently they stand squared.

Two points to replacing those existing trees:
This little park surrounded by concrete jungle is special for foliage, not a great new brick surface. Replacing mature, large-leafed trees with dinky little new ones would be a loss and take at least a decade to grow to a comparable level.

As cost has been a bottleneck, I'm guessing comparable replacement trees cost $5000-7500/per. Someone more knowledgeable could correct that figure. But why unnecessarily spend?
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #1945
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
I'm guessing comparable replacement trees cost $5000-7500/per. Someone more knowledgeable could correct that figure.
I got a casual quote from my landscaper last fall: fairly mature 20 foot trees would cost $1500-2000 each, installed.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:50 AM   #1946
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagojournal.com/News/0...s_big_project_

Roosevelt's big project
05/20/2009 10:00 PM

By MICAH MAIDENBERG

Roosevelt University is seeking to build a 32-story structure on Wabash Avenue in the footprint of the Herman Crown Center, which will be demolished.

Assuming various city approvals and permits fall into place and financing for the $125 million project is secured, construction could begin as early as the summer, according to Roosevelt president Charles Middleton.

...Developers imagine huge student dorm

A partnership between L & H Real Estate Group and Brownstone Realty was scheduled as of Chicago Journalís deadline to seek Plan Commission approval to build a 37-story building with approximately 621 rooms and 1,221 beds and retail space over a surface parking lot at southeast corner of Van Buren and Wabash.

But the group behind the proposal isnít planning to build anytime soon ó they donít have the financing. Theyíre just looking to get various city permissions lined up.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:53 AM   #1947
spyguy
Expert

-dp-

Last edited by spyguy; May 28th, 2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #1948
J.S. Ford

Park?

Not to beat a dead horse on the park topic but does anyone know whatís planned for the gated area bound by 16th, Indiana and the St. Charles Air Line Railroad? For months this plot of land has been gated off to the public and then several weeks ago a team of landscapers threw down sod/mulch, which was long overdue, but than proceeded to lock up the fencing.

Additionally, Iím not actually sure who owns this land. According to the record of the deeds the joint Central Station Development Corp. & Forest City Enterprises Group owned the land but it appears they sold it to The Gammonley Group (developers of Prairie Point Ė 1600 S. Prairie Ave.) back in 2004.

Future park or residential/commercial building?
J.S. Ford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #1949
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

A park seems redundant, since there's already one just across the tracks. I'd bet a building goes up eventually, but not anytime soon.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #1950
slooparch

It is/will be a park...

The site is currently owned by the condo association located on the sw corner of Prarie and 16th....

The CPD has long terms plan to purchase it from the association, but in the meantime, the condo owners are doing minimal maintenance to save $...
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:04 PM   #1951
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

At the alderman's Town Hall meeting on the 28th, he said the Park District didn't want it. Too small.

In other park news:

Alderman Robert Fioretti and the Chicago Park District invite you to attend a public meeting on June 2 to discuss the future of Park 550 (Vietnam Veterans Museum) located at 1801 S. Indiana.

A previous public meeting occurred on December 15, 2008 where programming input was obtained from the community. At the June 2 meeting, drawings developed by the Chicago Park District will be on display.

TIME: 6:30 pm
LOCATION: Park 550 (Vietnam Veterans Museum) located at 1801 S. Indiana
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:56 PM   #1952
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,5973010.story

Chicago racked by room glut
By Mary Ellen Podmolik
June 1, 2009

...Likewise, Greenberg has no immediate plans, or financing, to push forward with Aloft Millennium Park at Balbo Avenue and Wabash and Aloft Lincolnshire.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:43 PM   #1953
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder01.article

Old Colony Building may become dorms
April 1, 2009
I guess they've started cleaning off the Old Colony Building for this project. The actual semi-clean brick is much less attractive than the layers of Victorian-style grime. Sort of shocking to walk up the street and see this dull white thing where the dingy black one used to be. There are a lot more imperfections in the facade (many patched with metal, it looks like) than I'd every noticed, and the brick is frankly a pretty ugly whitish-grey color.

Admittedly they're only partway done, so maybe it'll be a shining city on the hill when they're actually finished.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:37 PM   #1954
milepig

Dunkin Donuts coming to The Dwight

After seeing signs of activity over the past couple days, I finally took a peek yesterday.

Dunkin Donuts is clearly moving into two of the storefronts just South of Pat's and Subway. Looks like they're pretty far along, as all the internal signage is in place already. No outside sign as of last night.
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1955
spyguy
Expert

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...o&context=dept

DCD issues RFPs for Beverly, South Loop sites

Revival of 9th and State Street Site Redevelopment Project
The CDC authorized the rejection of previous responses to the initial RFP issued in 2003 and the re-advertising and re-issuance of an RFP for the purchase and redevelopment of the property located at the southeast corner of 9th and State Streets. The goal of the RFP is to ultimately see a mixed-use development on this site, which is now vacant City-owned land with a parking lot. The target price is $9.7 million with no TIF or other assistance being offered.
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #1956
milepig

Quote:
The new park plan diagram shows a tree configuration different from what exists now. Thus the assumption for the replacement of the existing trees.

The diagram shows the trees in a rounded pattern around the fountain, while currently they stand squared.

Two points to replacing those existing trees:
This little park surrounded by concrete jungle is special for foliage, not a great new brick surface. Replacing mature, large-leafed trees with dinky little new ones would be a loss and take at least a decade to grow to a comparable level.

As cost has been a bottleneck, I'm guessing comparable replacement trees cost $5000-7500/per. Someone more knowledgeable could correct that figure. But why unnecessarily spend?
The question is now moot, since the trees are history.
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #1957
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Yes, the alderman noted in his last newsletter the trees had to be removed (though did not explain why) to address complaints.

My guesses (based on past projects I have worked on) is they had to remove all vegetation due to existing contaminated soils or they would have died during demolition.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #1958
ChicagoSchool

Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
The question is now moot, since the trees are history.
Thanks for the mooting by stating the obvious, MilePig. Brilliant there

Last edited by ChicagoSchool; July 1st, 2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #1959
spyguy
Expert

http://www.gazettechicago.com/index/?p=265

Jones, Roosevelt expanding their South Loop facilities
By Marie Balice Ward

...The existing Jones College Prep building will be sold to defray some of the cost for the new structure, which is estimated at $130 million. About $90 million will be provided by tax increment finance money, with the remainder provided by CPS from money gained from the sale of the building.

...Perez requested a demographic analysis, contending that the South Loop needs another open enrollment high school. The closest school, he noted, is Wendell Phillips Academy High School, which is located at Pershing Road and Indiana Avenue. Perez also said that, if the existing school building is sold to developers, any new development likely would be at least 30 stories high (as allowed by current zoning). He suggested using the building for extra high school classroom space instead.

...Plans also call for a 75-car parking lot and project completion by fall 2013. Groundbreaking has not yet been scheduled, however.
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #1960
milepig

Quote:
Thanks for the mooting by stating the obvious, MilePig. Brilliant there
Well, if you will go back throught he sequence of posts, you will discover that my posting of the fact that the trees had actually been removed was the first report of that. Its called NEWS. Everything prior was information that they WOULD be removed, accompanied by implied hope that they could still be saved. So, the fact that they had actually been removed less than 24 hours before my posting was hardly obvious to anyone other than those who happened to walk past there.

Snippy comments about other posters brilliance (or lack thereof) may partially explain why this forum has dwindled into nothing more than the very occcasional posting by 2-3 folk who think they know everything and belittle the others who are just trying to contribute news when they see it.

Add me to the list of "former readers".