daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:22 PM   #41
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 723

Direct links to Glasshoughton and onwards from Leeds would be easy if a small section of dismantled railway was opened. It would cut Castleford out, but services would still be serving Castleford; but the Pontefract line would just need splitting. (To distinguish Glasshoughton trains from Castleford trains). If it were to be Park and Ride, non stop trains between Leeds and Glasshoughton could be put in. If Leeds is serious about cutting congestion, it needs to try everything. How many people drive into Leeds from the East (Humber area), Wakefield, Pontefract etc; it could be park and ride for all those areas.
Leeds No.1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:22 PM   #42
Down In London

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
Xscape is marketed as Xscape Leeds. Well Castleford; Leeds.
See that's what puzzles me. I wouldn't be happy if Xscape was marketed as being in Wakefield but at the end of the day that's more logical than Xscape being marketed as Leeds.
Down In London no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:28 PM   #43
Down In London

Leeds No.1-Good idea, just before the Cutsyke level crossing (if your not familiar with the area its maybe midway between Castleford and Glasshoughton stations) there is an elevated grass baking where an old line used to go, it then goes down the back of Castleford hospital and Whitwood college, I'm not 100% sure but it might then continue onto Methley. There used to be a train station at Cutsyke right next door to Castleford Swimming Baths, the platform still remains.

As a user of the 8am Castleford to Leeds train I can say it gets very busy, because it comes from Pontefract, Glasshoughton and other train station before reacing Castleford. By the time it gets to it's penultimate stop at Woodlesford, often it's so full that people can't get on. The new line would cut this congestion, so again it's a very good idea.
Down In London no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM   #44
Leeds No.1

I think its mainly because Xscape is the only one in the North of England, and the biggest one in the country; it needs to relate itself nationally. To someone coming from Liverpool, they probably would have no idea where Castleford was at first. If people get to Leeds there are then signposts etc for Castleford. I think its just practicality really.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:34 PM   #45
Leeds No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Leeds No.1-Good idea, just before the Cutsyke level crossing (if your not familiar with the area its maybe midway between Castleford and Glasshoughton stations) there is an elevated grass baking where an old line used to go, it then goes down the back of Castleford hospital and Whitwood college, I'm not 100% sure but it might then continue onto Methley. There used to be a train station at Cutsyke right next door to Castleford Swimming Baths, the platform still remains.

As a user of the 8am Castleford to Leeds train I can say it gets very busy, because it comes from Pontefract, Glasshoughton and other train station before reacing Castleford. By the time it gets to it's penultimate stop at Woodlesford, often it's so full that people can't get on. The new line would cut this congestion, so again it's a very good idea.
Thats the same for most trains into Leeds; I come in from Harrogate so suprisingly use the Harrogate Line; if youre travelling at peak time, its standing room only, and coming out of Leeds its worse- people often have to wait for the next train.

Anyway, yes, it continues onto Methley. If you look at an aerial image of the area (Google Earth, Multimap...) You can see how it continues onto Methley. It never joins right up to the Leeds line; it goes under it though and nearly merges onto it (youll see what I mean if you look at a picture). And it wouldnt be hard to do a little bit of realignment to link it back up.
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #46
Typhoo25

Likes (Received): 7

Firstly LN1 is correct when saying that Xscape markets itself as Leeds because people know Leeds and relate to it. I live right next to Xscape on the new estate and sell a bit on e-bay. Whenever I have done a collect only sale, often people have had no idea about where Castleford is (one from Manchester did not know where Wakefield was.

Secondly, to Pete, I can understand if you are from Castleford that you would want to retain your identity, but I am from Leeds and moved here for four reasons: -

1. The house I bought was £120,000 less than the exact same Persimmon house being built in an LS post code.
2. In addition to this, as a developing area there was no stamp duty to be paid
3. I have to travel all over the country and this is an ideal place to be
4. With the developments, investment and train station, I knew that this estate (along with massive estates at Whitwood and Normanton) would be so attractive to Leeds commuters that the prices would fly up, which they have. In two years the house prices have doubled and keep on going.

The final benefits are that it takes me 20m minutes to get into Leeds on the train or by car which is much quicker than getting in from North Leeds where I previously lived and also it is not too bad a place to be. There is some cash coming into the area and the amenities are ok.

I actually do believe that everyone would benefit through having LCC run the place instead of WMC (useless). I have lived in a Bradford, Wakefield and Leeds run area and can say that Wakefield council are so far behind it is criminal. Add to that the council tax is higher and you can see why I would love it to come under Leeds control.
Typhoo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #47
Electric_City
Wired

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoo25 View Post
Add to that the council tax is higher and you can see why I would love it to come under Leeds control.
Postcodes don't always necessarily follow the district boundaries though. In Mexborough, for example, they have a Sheffield postcode but are in the Doncaster Metropolitan District (bizarrely, they also have a Rotherham telephone number).

It would be theoretically possible for them to alter the Castleford postcode to Leeds but retain Wakefield council control.
Electric_City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #48
CharlieP

Likes (Received): 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoo25 View Post
The Normanton bypass starts at the ASDA roundabout at Glasshoughton I believe (a junction has been there since it was put in. It will by pass the Whitwood estate and go behind the Normanton warehouses and basically on to pick up the Doncaster to Wakefield rd. I am unsure as to what they anticipate this will bypass as the M62 seems to do a fairly good job of keeping cars out of the area.
The rationale is that it will mean journeys from the Normanton Bypass to Castleford/Xscape can avoid both Junction 31 and the busy stretch of the M62 between junctions 31 and 32:

LTP1FDRPart6Draft5260706.pdf
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #49
Val Verde

Likes (Received): 124

Breaking news on the YEP website this evening is that Castleford Tigers RLFC have acquired planning permission for their new stadium: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...ion.3537946.jp

Quote:
Castleford Tigers receive planning permission for new stadium

Castleford Tigers have received planning permission for a new ground the club's website claims.

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »
View GalleryCastleford Tigers rugby league club have received planning permission for their new stadium, the club's website claims.

The site described the planning green light as a "massive boost" for the club's future, as it would help increase fan base and income.

"It (permission) will enable us to move forward with confidence of
gaining a Super League licence," the site says.

Tigers CEO Richard Wright added: "This is a massive step forward in making the Tigers dream of a purpose built 21st century stadium becoming reality.

"We can now progress with confidence because whilst awaiting this news we have been moving ahead in tandem on the finances and again are confident of everything being in place. As a result we expect work to start soon with the aim of moving into the new stadium by 2010 at the latest, although we haven't as yet ruled out 2009."
So good news for Castleford then getting a new stadium. I presume with completion for 2010 at the latest it will start soon and will it still look like a dead ringer for Huddersfields ground or as another render pointed out look like AS Monacos football ground or has there been new renders released since then which look totally different?

Also will the associated office development be done at the same time as this development and finally Castleford related has that long in production Kevin McCloud programme on Castleford's regeneration ever going to be aired and has the new rail / bus station started construction yet as last time I went past on the train nothing seemed to have been done and it looks in rather a sorry state?

Last edited by Val Verde; November 29th, 2007 at 10:31 PM.
Val Verde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #50
Val Verde

News in today's YEP of an opening of a new bridge in Castleford by Kevin McCloud. http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...-of.4259717.jp

Quote:
TV star at opening of Castleford bridge

Kevin McCloud, left, with bridge designer Renato Benedetti

05 July 2008
By Stuart Robinson
CASTLEFORD'S spectacular new multi-millon pound footbridge has finally has got it's grand opening.
TV's Grand Designs presenter Kevin McCloud joined Wakefield Council leader Peter Box for the opening of the new S-shaped bridge across the River Aire on Friday.
The ambitious structure is the most striking of the Castleford Project schemes to completely revamp the former pit town.
Designed by Renato Benedetti of McDowell+Benedetti, the bridge has already been shortlisted for the prestigious Prime Minister's Award for Better Public Buildings Construction is by Costain.
The Castleford Project is the focus of a major forthcoming Channel 4 series presented by McCloud.
Children from local primary schools linked hands across the bridge to mark its opening.
Wakefield Council Leader, Peter Box: " This is an historic moment for Castleford as we open this wonderful new bridge. It represents the culmination of strong partnership working and an unwavering community commitment to help bring such a project to fruition. I'm also delighted that even before being opened it has been short listed for such a prestigious award. The bridge will be a positive new focus for visitors to Castleford. It will help us attract new interest to the town and open up the potential of the town's riverside area."
Terry Hodgkinson, chair of Yorkshire Forward said: "Promenades are more usually associated with Victorian times in our seaside towns rather than Castleford.
Benefit
"But Renato (Benedetti] has designed not only a river crossing, but a place to wander, to meet and greet and to reflect on the town's past and to vision it's future on a piece of creative modern art that is fit for a 21st Century Castleford. It is there for the benefit of all, to enjoy and savour. Yorkshire Forward is delighted to have been a part of the strong partnership that has delivered this iconic renaissance project."
Alison Drake from Castleford Heritage Trust added: " Since the beginning when we first chose Renato this has been a goal for the community to achieve. It is about connecting the community with the river and river side. The design has fulfilled all our ambitions."
So are there any pics of how this bridge looks and does it genuinely act as a link into Castleford Town Centre from it's suburbs as opposed to a link from nowhere to nowhere?

Also is there any more news on how developments within Castleford are progressing such as the new rugby ground and rail / bus interchange and when the Castleford Project television series about the towns regeneration will finally be shown on Channel 4?
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #51
ahmedd

Likes (Received): 2

Looks like some genuine progress for Cas, an interesting 'S' shaped bridge

for updates see:

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsi...newbridge.html
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:29 PM   #52
aviator

Likes (Received): 164

News having been a bit sparse on this, it's nice to see an update in today's YEP:

Quote:
Stadium vision starting to take shape for Castleford Tigers

How the new stadium could look

Published Date: 23 May 2009

By Stuart Robinson

THIS is the vision of what Castleford Tigers' new stadium should be.

Long-awaited plans for a spectacular new Glass Houghton home for the rugby league club took a major leap forward this week.

Club officials announced that a detailed draft design brief, including a schedule of the facilities to be included in the new 13,000-capacity stadium, has been completed.

The club will now meet with developer Waystone and Wakefield Council to finalise the documents.

Tigers chief executive officer Richard Wright said: "The design brief and schedule of facilities documents will now provide the basis on which we can go forward.

"While we have known for some time the broad outline of what the new stadium will look like, together with its facilities, these documents turn those ideas into a practical working concept.

"We plan to run a design competition and will be inviting interest from a number of architects who we would wish to work with.

"We will be providing each with a copy of the design brief and asking them to provide an outline plan for us to consider, and ultimately select a firm to move forward with."

Work on the design brief was done by a stadium steering group which includes locally based developers David Poulter (former Tigers chairman] and Chris Noble, along with the deputy director of estates at Huddersfield University, Alan Johnson, and Tigers human resources consultant Martin Lea.

Mark Burns-Williamson, local councillor for Castleford Central and Glass Houghton has also attended with Mr Wright and company secretary Andy Reed.

Talks have also started with a number of organisations who are keen to be involved with the stadium.

Mr Wright said: "We are aware and understand that Tigers fans have become concerned at the lack of news about the progress of the stadium project, but the club, Wakefield Council and Waystone are all committed to the scheme.

"We all realise how important the new stadium is to the club, but it is important that we get the facilities right first time and deliver a project fit for purpose and within the budget constraints.

"This is not only in regard to the Super League Licence for 2012 but also to aid the continued growth of the club to enable us to compete at the highest level and produce a facility with multiple uses.

"The project is also massively important to the community and local economy."
aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:01 PM   #53
Val Verde

Interesting to see a new render although it must surely be still a long way off from being developed. Where exactly is the funding for this stadia and do Castleford Tigers own the land where this stadium will be sited and would there be any wider revenue streams for the club such as conferencing and banqueting facilities?
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #54
Chris (Newcastle)

As a Hull FC fan can I say Cas is Rugby League. I've visited Wheldon Road many times. Great club deserves this stadium. Looks great!
Chris (Newcastle) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #55
tigerman

Likes (Received): 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Verde View Post
Interesting to see a new render although it must surely be still a long way off from being developed. Where exactly is the funding for this stadia and do Castleford Tigers own the land where this stadium will be sited and would there be any wider revenue streams for the club such as conferencing and banqueting facilities?
Well the Tigers are still saying that they expect to be in the stadium for the 2011 season - although it sounds very optimistic to me.

With regard to the land it must be owned by the council who will have acquired it from British Coal - but what happens to the ownership of the land when its developed who knows.

All we know about funding is that the council have said they have no money to put in so it must be from the developer/Tigers and maybe outside investment - as I said in another thread though you would struggle to see how this would be funded in the present climate.

The recent announcement from the club stated that they are looking for business to take place at the ground 7 days a week - but it is unlikely to be conference/banqueting as the developers would want that at the new hotel which is supposed to be built alongside.
tigerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #56
Val Verde

Castleford Tigers new stadium will include a swimming pool and Wakefield Council approved the transfer of land assets into the stadium project. http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...-to.5462190.jp

Quote:
Castleford Tigers' new stadium to include swimming pool

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryPublished Date: 15 July 2009
By Stuart Robinson
CASTLEFORD Tigers new stadium will include a brand new swimming pool for the town after council and club bosses struck a land deal this week.

Plans for the clubs new home took a massive leap forward after Wakefield Council approved the transfer of land assets into the stadium project.

Tigers CEO Richard Wright hailed the news as a huge step for the plans to build a 13,000 capacity stadium for the Tigers at Glass Houghton.

He said: "We needed Wakefield Council to commit formally to helping us with the project, we needed to clarify the nature of their support, and we needed to determine the facilities they wished to be included in the stadium.

"They have done all three and we can now move forward to appointing architects. We are in contact with a number of architects and we can now finalise the design brief for them to consider and provide us with proposals.

"From there we will select one to work with and move towards a detailed design as soon as possible. The swimming pool will be part of that design and it will of course be open to the general public."

SEE THURSDAY'S YEP FOR FULL STORY
Good news to see further progress although there are still questions to be answered regarding the funding and when exactly this stadium is expected to be completed.
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #57
Bradley Hardacre
Silent but deadly

Likes (Received): 17

It looks like the plans for this site are a lot more ambitious than just including a swimming pool!

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...art.5675222.jp

Quote:
Spectacular water park forms part of Castleford Tigers' stadium plans

An artist's impression of the planned waterpark

Published Date: 24 September 2009
By Stuart Robinson
A SPECTACULAR indoor waterpark is to be built in West Yorkshire as part of plans for the Castleford Tigers' new stadium complex.
The exciting announcement was made by club bosses today who revealed that the waterpark attraction will be the biggest of its kind in the UK.
The groundbreaking scheme will include slides, rides and attractions and will create more then 200 local jobs at the proposed site at Glasshoughton.
The Surfworld attraction is the brainchild of Yorkshire entrepreneur Mick Harrison who, along with his business partner, Graham Gatenby has been working on the project for over four years.
It has been cooked up by developers Waystone in conjunction with a team of international specialist water ride makers.
Richard Wright, Chief Executive of Castleford Tigers said: "Surfworld significantly enhances the business model of the stadium and provides many other advantages. The waterpark will be another huge attraction for visitors to the site and a superb facility for the fans and both the local and wider community.
"Following on from the Wakefield Council outlining their support in July, this is another major step forward to our achieving a new home for the Tigers and with the proximity to Xscape we firmly believe that this will make the site the number one tourist attraction in the north of England."
As reported in the YEP, the club were warned by the Rugby Football League earlier this year that they could lose their Super League status they fail to build a state-of-the-art new stadium.
The club received planning permission for a 13,000-capacity facility in November 2007.
Bosses behind the stadium and Surfworld project have also teamed up with award winning Social Enterprise agency, Camberwell.
They will make sure local residents in Castleford and the Wakefield district get priority admission and special discounts for the park.
And Camberwell hope to include a package to provide long term professional training for local job seekers.
Surfworld Managing Director Mick Harrison said: "We are immensely excited to be working with Camberwell to get Surfworld up and running and delighted to be working alongside the Tigers. We see this project as a real benefit to the area and a major addition to the UK visitor attraction industry. Ultimately Surfworld is set to delight visitors of every age and we can't wait to see the plans come to fruition "
Coun Denise Jeffery, Wakefield Council's deputy leader and cabinet member for regeneration, added: "Surfworld looks like an exciting plan that will really add to and complement our other nationally acclaimed attractions like Xscape, The Hepworth Wakefield and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. It will support the club's stadium project and encourage more people to lead healthier active lifestyles, not to mention creating more jobs and opportunities in our district.
Bradley Hardacre está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #58
Val Verde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Hardacre View Post
It looks like the plans for this site are a lot more ambitious than just including a swimming pool!

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...art.5675222.jp
Sound's like a brilliant addition for the Glasshoughton area of Castleford and a Center Parc's style water park as opposed to just a pool would certainly be a relatively unique thing around this neck of the woods (although could Leeds City Council have used an opportunity of developing a water park alongside the new International Pool when it was developed at the John Charles Centre for Sport)?

Is there any indication of where it will be located in relation to the new Castleford Tigers Ground, XScape and the Shopping Outlet Village as well as any further news on the new stadium?
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #59
tigerman

Likes (Received): 531

I dont think there is any more recent news other than they looking at appointing architects shortly.

With regard to the pool complex it will be part of this new office park area which includes the stadium and that is located on the hill overlooking X-scape on the other side of the road and railway. It should be accessed from the new coalfields road which runs round the back of the site.
tigerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #60
Val Verde

In the latest twist to the ongoing saga for Wakefield Trinity and Castleford Tigers new stadia is the prospect of both clubs sharing one stadium as opposed to both having their own new grounds. http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...ers.6423567.jp

Quote:
Wakefield Wildcats and Castleford Tigers groundshare talks

Crunch talks have taken place which could see bitter Rugby League rivals Wakefield Wildcats and Castleford Tigers sharing a new stadium in a bid to save cash.

Published Date: 16 July 2010
By Stuart Robinson
Crunch talks have taken place which could see bitter Rugby League rivals Wakefield Wildcats and Castleford Tigers sharing a new stadium in a bid to save cash.
* Click here to watch the latest edition of the YEP's rugby league programme The Sin Bin.

Wakefield Council bosses have confirmed that a meeting has taken place to discuss the idea of a ground share between the two clubs and an independent feasibility study now looks set to be commissioned.

* Click here for latest Leeds Rhinos news.

The YEP understands the study would consider the two sites proposed by the clubs at junction 30 and 32 of the M62.

* Click here for latest Castleford Tigers news.

Wakefield Council leader Peter Box, told the YEP that post-election tightened purse strings had prompted the talks.

* Click here for latest Wakefield Trinity Wildcats news.

He said: "The council's current financial position, which has changed dramatically since the election, was discussed.

"In the circumstances in which we now find ourselves – losing £70m from our schools building programme, losing more millions from highways – the business case for one single stadium is overwhelming."

He added: "We agreed last year to support each club by giving them land to the value of £2m, dependent on them producing a financial plan for the stadia.

"This offer runs out in September and the council's new financial position now means that, unless there is agreement on a single stadium, cabinet could not recommend to council that this financial offer is
renewed.

"Both clubs acknowledge that there is a real need for urgency especially with the next round of Super League franchises coming up in 2011."

Coun Box added that any suggestion of a merger of the two clubs would not be on the table.

He added: "If AC Milan and Inter Milan can share the San Siro Stadium, I can see no reason why this cannot happen in this district. It has to be the sensible and viable way forward."

Both clubs have been making moves to secure a new home for some time.
In September 2008, a scheme for a £60m community stadium at Thornes Park was scrapped in the wake of a feasibility study and the Wildcats have since been looking at other options.

Castleford have been focusing on a site near the Xscape leisure complex in Glasshoughton.

Tigers Chief Executive Richard Wright said: "The shared stadium is an exciting concept which would be acceptable to Castleford Tigers and as such we are pleased to see Wakefield MDC taking this strategic approach to stadium development in the district.

"We welcome the suggestion of an independent feasibility study approach and agree in principle that a shared stadium is the best option for both clubs and the community."

But he added: "We have put a lot of investment into delivering our own project at junction 32 of the M62 motorway and at this stage, with the shared stadium still at concept stage, it is very important whilst supporting the council in exploring the possibility of a shared stadium, we do not let our own project slip."

Chairman of Wakefield Trinity Wildcats Ted Richardson said "We have applied to be anchor tenants at the Community Stadium development at Newmarket and are working with the Wakefield and District Community Trust as they progress this. We understand that outline planning was lodged in February of this year and it is hoped this process will be completed shortly.

"Regarding a review we have made a detailed response to Wakefield Council outlining our concerns and have been asked to attend a meeting to discuss progress at J30 Newmarket."
Certainly looks like the prospect of a ground share was always going to be a possibility however could the prospect of even a ground share be at doubt considering finances potentially risking both club's Super League status (a bad thing imo considering they are two of the longest established Rugby League clubs).

Are the RFL really going to throw every club out of the Super League purely on the basis of the condition of their grounds as surely finances would be tight all round and I always believe in a promotion / relegation system as opposed to a US style francise model imo which the Super League are following?

If a ground share was to take place though then surely placing the ground at Glasshoughton (Castleford's site) as opposed to Newmarket Lane (Wakefield's site) would be a better idea imo considering the proximity to amenities and a rail link (could having direct services from Wakefield - Glasshoughton be put on during match days perhaps). I wonder if this ground share would mean Wakefield or Castleford having to play matches at the likes of Elland Road, Oakwell (Barnsley FC's ground) or Keepmoat (Doncaster Rovers ground) if there is fixture congestion at their combined ground. Still I cannot see either clubs merging (even to retain Super League status) considering the historic rivalry and the prospect of independent splinter clubs (eg: RLFC Wakefield and RLFC Castleford ala AFC Wimbledon or FC United of Manchester) forming if both clubs merged to become known as Castlefield or Wakeford.