daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #41
panamaboy9016
I'm Panamerupean!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 2

JESUS!!!

You Dubai people are just crazy!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #42
yusef

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prikhod View Post
This is just stupid. When half of the world's population lives in poverty and is starving, such a waste of money is absolutely ridiculous, and whoever came up with this thing, should be ashamed of himself.
For the most part I agree with your comments, yet that is not to say being wealthy is wrong. It's what people do or don't do with wealth is where the problem arises.
yusef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #43
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 188

I cant believe that it will be twice the size of all the Disneyland/world resorts put together.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #44
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka! View Post
No. Maybe in 100 years but not now. Just because there are a few buildings being built doesn't make you the biggest city in the world.

I was'nt talking about being the next biggest or most powerful city in the world, I was talking about taking that next step in producing a world class city. London developed heavily, so did New York now Dubai has taken over that mantle of building for power. You need a stable economy to become a powerhouse. Dubai however has an idea and is setting the benchmark for future developments. UAE will never reach the heights of countries like the US or UK but each future project helps make thier cities world class. Las Vegas did it. Now its Dubai's turn yet in a shorter and more rushed timeframe. Within 20 years, Dubai will be respected amongst the likes of Tokyo, Paris, London, New York but with less financial benefits and more fun. You cant ridcule the UAE for producing what will become earths biggest play pen.
Old December 30th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #45
White_soX

Likes (Received): 0

Pride pride ego ego goes around............
White_soX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #46
White_soX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
I cant believe that it will be twice the size of all the Disneyland/world resorts put together.
For some reason, Dubailand will never get to offer what Disney offering. Disney is a legend and Dubailand, just a project
White_soX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #47
panamaboy9016
I'm Panamerupean!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Haha,

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_soX View Post
For some reason, Dubailand will never get to offer what Disney offering. Disney is a legend and Dubailand, just a project
Envy I see. I think this project is awesome, and for whomever said that there is world hunger and Dubai is spending money on this project, is NASA wouldn't exist, and all the money spent in NASA would be given to the world there would be NO World Hunger. So if it was an American who said it, think again, I'm American but I'll go against my country mainly because sometimes we're just dumb. Keep building Dubai keep building because you all will become THE city to go to in a near future, maybe about 20-25 years from now. I'll be part of your cities' tourism.
Old December 30th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #48
jacobboyer

People can spend there money however they want. Giving money to the poor is not gonna help them you would have to give them lessons on investing and creating money and give them some money and tell them we tought you this stuff go on and teach another person what you have learned. It's like two people one wins 100,000 the other gets 40,000 everyyear for the rest of his life who is getting a better deal once the guy spends his 100,000 there is nothing left for him but the other guy is set for life. All the people who say it's not gonna be as great a disney world are jelous.
jacobboyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 02:34 AM   #49
Escoto_Dubai2008
Dubai, 21st Century City

Likes (Received): 411

I think this video is awsome, and I like the project too. By the way, does someone know the titles of the songs that was in the video as soundtracks, please post it.

Mis Blogs

!Somos seres humanos,....! !Nuestras vidas tienen valor!
Escoto_Dubai2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 08:50 AM   #50
TarheelsCubs

Likes (Received): 27

I don't understand a lot of this project though. The video went into very little detail. The sports world for example.....it shows a baseball field...then they say "see real stars play" where are they going to get sport stars for all the major sports? lol

The place seems really cool, I would go. But they need to do a better job of explaining things....they made everything sound so unreal.

About spending all that money....they can do what they want with it!
TarheelsCubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 12:23 PM   #51
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by prikhod View Post
This is just stupid. When half of the world's population lives in poverty and is starving, such a waste of money is absolutely ridiculous, and whoever came up with this thing, should be ashamed of himself.
Trade and developement is a good way to stimulate economy. Better than just giving money to countries from where the money will go mostly straight back to the west for debtpayback. These companies who are building in Dubailand also invest in undeveloped/developing countries.

TarheelsCubs:

I dont think it was that throughly planned when the video, or compilation of videos was made. Many, if not most of the projects have not started construction yet.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 05:50 PM   #52
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 8

lol...they showed some afl in the sports section
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:30 AM   #53
Escoto_Dubai2008
Dubai, 21st Century City

Please!!! Do someone know which are the titles of the songs of the video?
Don't bab with me. Tell us which is the tracklist of this fantastic video.

Mis Blogs

Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:28 PM   #54
aussiescraperman

yeah i want to know what the song is when the mall of arabia section starts..i thought it was off a beautiful mind..but had no success there....i want to know what song it is......
lol, cheers
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #55
Escoto_Dubai2008
Dubai, 21st Century City

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiescraperman View Post
yeah i want to know what the song is when the mall of arabia section starts..i thought it was off a beautiful mind..but had no success there....i want to know what song it is......
lol, cheers
Thank you, for supporting my idea of the Tracklist of this video.

Mis Blogs

Old January 4th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #56
aussiescraperman

hehe....well i don't think anyone knows what it is, bummer......
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #57
fahed
Mr Anti

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsCubs View Post
I don't understand a lot of this project though. The video went into very little detail. The sports world for example.....it shows a baseball field...then they say "see real stars play" where are they going to get sport stars for all the major sports? lol
You are absolutly right. I hate this kind of advertisment too! However, this video is very old. It is an early video released at the the early stage after lunching the Dubailand project to attract investors.

It was a good illustration though.
Old January 6th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #58
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah786 View Post
American Jealousy?
Jealous of what? None of this is exactly destined to work out. It's all hotels and residencies and now an amusement park. Lol 1200 foot hotels and 300 foot office towers. Things are a bit backwards. Whatever though you can go ahead and consider that jealousy but we created the skyscraper and the first Supertalls( Since 1931). We're still pumping them out and we will be pumping them out long after your ubber rich stop wasteing their "hard earned" money for you guys to brag about your weak looking disneyland . Can ya touch that? No way in hell.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 04:32 AM   #59
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

About 80% of what is in that video is taken from American Theme parks, mostly Disney World and Sea World. =x
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #60
ChicagoFan

Geez guys stop bashing on the people of Dubai. It is a good project. Yes it's not disneyland yet....because there is no competiton to against Disney. And for the poor thing, yes there are millions of poor peolple in the world but this is a developing country that is doing it to secure financial status so that it's people won't also be poor. (Oil in that nation is running low, time to switch to tourism) And since when has any rich nation spent their hard earned money on just the poor and not grand beautiful buildings. End of Story!!!!!!!

Just as a side note the first skyscraper was built on 1885 not 1931 and it was in Chicago.

Last edited by ChicagoFan; January 6th, 2007 at 05:39 AM.
ChicagoFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai