daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:24 PM   #521
Federicoft

Likes (Received): 4377

There's much room for improvement even on those travelling times. I think what we have learned from the Italian TAV is that we should expect slow but constant improvements over the years, rather than one-off spectacular inaugurations as it happens elsewhere.
Federicoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:44 PM   #522
LUCAFUSAR

Likes (Received): 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR401 View Post

As you guessed, works are still in progress in Bologna (and in Firenze they are still struggling over different solutions for the new station, only preliminary works were made so far....).
A similar situation can be found in Turin. A four-track underground line towards Milan is in construction (two tracks opened few days ago), meanwhile long distance and commuter traffic share the two track currently operating. Hence the need for somewhat "relaxed" paths.....
Besides this, if my memory don't fails me, Bo-Fi HSL is temporarily operating at "just" 250 kph top speed, although being built and tested for 300.
According to the "fascicolo di linea" (a "book" that contains all the informations about the italian railway lines-there's a "fascicolo di linea" for every italian railway line) by R.F.I. (Rete Ferroviaria Italiana), the maximum speed limit on the Bologna/Florence AV/AC line is 300 kph. However I also think that the speed limit will be 250 kph in the first period after the opening. The speed limit will be subsequently increased.

Last edited by LUCAFUSAR; November 3rd, 2009 at 12:09 AM.
LUCAFUSAR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #523
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federicoft View Post
There's much room for improvement even on those travelling times. I think what we have learned from the Italian TAV is that we should expect slow but constant improvements over the years, rather than one-off spectacular inaugurations as it happens elsewhere.
It seems clear to me. Imagine that when they opened the Roma-Napoli the train did the line in 1:35 minutes. From December it will be 1:10. I am sure it can be further improved to 1:05 next year...and this is only an example
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:37 AM   #524
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Today the last piece of Roma-Napoli HSR line has been opened. The first trip (with the president of the republic on board) was only 58 minutes long

Trains will connect Rome to Naples from december in 1:10 hours.
Old November 25th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #525
eminencia

Likes (Received): 4

NTV vs TAV Travel Time

Do you think, that NTV thanks to newer and much more progressive rolling stock will be able to offer considerably lower travel times than FS TAV? When I see up shown travel times I begin to fear that NTV could acquire signifficant speed advantage over TAV by faster acceleration and deceleration of AGV.
eminencia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #526
dreaad
Torino è elettronica!!

Likes (Received): 2868

it depends by RFI (Rete rerroviaria italiana, the company that owns the national railway infrastructure), which decides the time of the trips.

«Torino è la città italiana in cui negli ultimi anni si è costruito di più, un processo che riguarda tutte le città post-industriali, destinate a diventare città del divertimento. Il modello, anche se non esplicito, è Las Vegas» (Giuseppe Culicchia)
dreaad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #527
Railfan
steamer

Likes (Received): 93

La Rochelle gets a makeover in preparation for AGV series phase

After the launch of finishing on the first AGV cars ordered by Italian operator Nuovo Trasporto Viaggiatori (NTV) in mid-July, and in preparation for the pre-series phase, Alstom is reorganizing its site at La Rochelle, France.
At the end of August, some 60 personnel out of 280 working on the project moved to a new dedicated NTV platform, established near the production line to facilitate communication among the various project contacts. Two offices have also been set up directly alongside the line. The working space is organized around the line, with five new meeting rooms and a lounge. Bicycles have been made available for easier access to all areas.

The approval tests led on the AGV prototype in Velim, Czech Republic, are now done. The train passes for a few weeks through La Rochelle to be equipped before leaving by November for on-track tests in Italy. The first of 25 AGV trainsets ordered by NTV in January 2008 should finish production in the fall of 2010, after a pre-series phase during which the operator’s chosen options will be tested under real conditions on a primary unit.
16 October 2009
Railfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #528
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11126

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminencia View Post
Do you think, that NTV thanks to newer and much more progressive rolling stock will be able to offer considerably lower travel times than FS TAV? When I see up shown travel times I begin to fear that NTV could acquire signifficant speed advantage over TAV by faster acceleration and deceleration of AGV.
I think the 'race' will be on the lowest fare

Anyway Trenitalia is going to buy newer trainsets for its HS... after NTV will be on the market though
Old November 26th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #529
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

I have my doubts about price competition in high-speed rail traffic. Sure, the rail companies will sell some tickets months ahead of departure for a knock-down price, but they take the bulk of their earnings from business travellers and wealthy individuals who don't care much about the money.

This is at least the experience here in France. The TGVs (which are, however, becoming increasingly popular as a "symbol of France"....) are not much used by the poorer half of the population, and were initially derided as the "train des millionaires" or "train des senateurs". Put simply, when ordinary people travel on vacations or to visit family or friends then they do so by car. The marginal price of putting a child into a car is... zero. A TGV ticket costs money. So... the TGVs are a plaything of the wealthy, the ones for whom the company pays and, OK, the odd tourist and single traveller.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #530
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
I have my doubts about price competition in high-speed rail traffic. Sure, the rail companies will sell some tickets months ahead of departure for a knock-down price, but they take the bulk of their earnings from business travellers and wealthy individuals who don't care much about the money.

This is at least the experience here in France. The TGVs (which are, however, becoming increasingly popular as a "symbol of France"....) are not much used by the poorer half of the population, and were initially derided as the "train des millionaires" or "train des senateurs". Put simply, when ordinary people travel on vacations or to visit family or friends then they do so by car. The marginal price of putting a child into a car is... zero. A TGV ticket costs money. So... the TGVs are a plaything of the wealthy, the ones for whom the company pays and, OK, the odd tourist and single traveller.
I think competition will be about the service, the punctuality, the time offered...and prices (mainly offers...including offers for families)

More or less as for Airplanes. Of course since they will be two they will have some incentives to be - well - polite in their competition (no "railways" ryanair is about to appear)

Anyway in France you have a state monopoly: soon we will not have it anymore, that makes THE DIFFERENCE. you do not have a market. Ours is the first experiment of a real HSR free market in Europe, let's see how it goes. We are on uncharted territories
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #531
LUCAFUSAR

From the Italian SSC forum: photos of the ETR600 Frecciargento interiors (1st class).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shezan View Post

Old November 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #532
hans280

I like that! A clean and simple design. I have a big problem with railway companies that paint plastic like wood and/or pretend that vinyl is leather. The interior of this train is minimalistic, sure, but it has nice pure lines and an unpretentiousness that I, for one, really appreciate.
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:00 PM   #533
LUCAFUSAR

Tunnel entrance on the new Bologna/Florence TAV line, which will be opened on december 13th. This line is 78 km long and 73 km out of 78 are in tunnels.

Last edited by LUCAFUSAR; December 1st, 2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:48 AM   #534
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

(sorry for the white balance in my two pics )
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:38 PM   #535
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

interesting how the swiss used tbms and different tunnels for the directions, while this whole section for the italians is just one tunnel with two tracks
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:55 PM   #536
LUCAFUSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shezan View Post
(sorry for the white balance in my two pics )
Why? They're o.k.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:07 PM   #537
LUCAFUSAR

From the Italian SSC forum: Trial runs on the Bologna/Florence TAV line with ETR500Y (2 locos and 8 carriages) diagnostic trainset.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM   #538
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Is the tunnel a 4-track one from beginning till end? or do the 2 outer tracks merge?

Btw I love the new ETR-500 colourscheme.. the red touch is stunning!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:52 PM   #539
dreaad
Torino è elettronica!!

Likes (Received): 2868

tracks merge after few hundreds meter

«Torino è la città italiana in cui negli ultimi anni si è costruito di più, un processo che riguarda tutte le città post-industriali, destinate a diventare città del divertimento. Il modello, anche se non esplicito, è Las Vegas» (Giuseppe Culicchia)
dreaad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:07 PM   #540
hans280

I thought the new bored HS tunnels were all supposed to be separated single tracks? My Swiss friends have been tooting in my ears about this being safer than two-way tunnels. But, enfin, perhaps the Swiss are just silly?

Tags
alta velocità