daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #1121
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Just had a look, interesting. You may have noted that even private railway
companies put in place passenger train schedules with hourly patterns...
It's probably RFI that imposes the hourly pattern, just as RFF does with SNCF...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #1122
Hubert Pollak

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I wonder if SNCF will coordinate it's Paris - Torino - Milano schedule with Italo.
I see that it is already coordinated (but it could be improved when TGV will start use high speed line Turin - Milano).

Now I understand why the choose MILAN P GARIBALDI for Paris - Milano trains.

TGV:
PARIS GARE DE LYON 7:49
MILAN P GARIBALDI 14:45

ITALO:
MILAN P GARIBALD 15:19

TGV:
PARIS GARE DE LYON 10:41
MILAN P GARIBALDI 17:46

ITALO:
MILAN P GARIBALD 18:03 or 18:19
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #1123
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Quote:
It's interesting how they manage to be faster then Trenitalia on Milano - Napoli despite having two stops in Milano (with their services being better integrated in the Milano transport network). This is possible because they don't go in to Roma Termina, but in stead use Rome Tiburtina. When is Trenitalia expected to to the same thing?

I wonder if SNCF will coordinate it's Paris - Torino - Milano schedule with Italo. SNCF owns 25% of NTV, and coopetating with them for France - Italy traffic seems logical. NTV could sell SNCF tickets at their offices too.
I guess they save time by not avoiding Milano Centrale and Roma Termini approaches, which are woefully slow.

The is a major interlock/trouble ahead of Roma Tiburtina they avoid as well.

Many services with a terminus in Roma will depart/arrive from Roma Ostiense though.
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #1124
Suburbanist
on the road

One can easily see NTV padded the schedules to claim on-time performance.

Scheduled layovers:

Milano Rogoredo - 2 or 3 minutes
Bologna - 3 minutes
Firenze S.M.N. - 8 minutes
Roma Tiburtina - 7 to 13 minutes
Napoli Centrale - 12 minutes

38 minutes lost standing in intermediate stations between Milano P. Garibaldi and Salerno! One can also see how termini stations are horrible for schedules of trains merely calling there.

The problem in Firenze will be eradicated in the medium term, though, with a new underground high-speed station + urban bypass that will slash Bologna-Roma travel times by 16 minutes (it includes a massive underground sector underneath the city + underground station to a total cost around € 2,7 billion). It will be übercool, underground stations are the best.

Last edited by Suburbanist; March 5th, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #1125
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Unfortunately Bologna HS station (directly under the existing one) and the Firenze one (aound 500 m from Santa Maria Novella) will only have four tracks.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #1126
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Unfortunately Bologna HS station (directly under the existing one) and the Firenze one (aound 500 m from Santa Maria Novella) will only have four tracks.
But they will be HSR-only through stations. I guess that suffice (I think they should have at least 1 extra track for train reversal in each direction as well).
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #1127
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
But they will be HSR-only through stations. I guess that suffice (I think they should have at least 1 extra track for train reversal in each direction as well).
Bologna and Firenze is not where you want to reverse trains. Trains should be scheduled through as much as possible.

I can imagine however that once one train per hour stops there RFI will declare the station at capacity and will force private operators to use the old station...
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #1128
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11128

Turin, Porta Susa station

Quote:
Originally Posted by derit View Post

Foto di Michele D'Ottavio... qui la galleria competa http://archivemood.photoshelter.com/...000QO7yjJsSeAk
Old March 17th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #1129
Railfan
steamer

Likes (Received): 93

Railfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #1130
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8714

Quote:
APA0076 5 WA 0159 Mo, 19.Mär 2012

Verkehr/Bahn/Industrie/Auto/Italien
Ferrari-Chef will mit Zügen von Italien nach Deutschland fahren

Utl.: Privatbahn-Projekt startet dieses Jahr zunächst in Italien =

München (APA/AFP) - Der Chef des italienischen Luxusautoherstellers Ferrari will mit einem privaten Bahnunternehmen langfristig in den Zugverkehr zwischen Italien und Deutschland einsteigen. Zunächst plane er allerdings den baldigen Start der ersten drei Verbindungen innerhalb Italiens, sagte Luca di Montezemolo der "Süddeutschen Zeitung" vom Montag. Die Züge von Neapel nach Mailand und Venedig sowie von Turin nach Mailand sollten nach Ostern auf die Schienen gebracht werden.

"Wir wollen die Liberalisierung der Hochgeschwindigkeitsnetze nutzen und haben das teuerste und ambitionierteste Privatprojekt in Italien der vergangenen zehn Jahre angestoßen", sagte Montezemolo.
Auch Verbindungen über die Grenzen seien geplant. "Von Mailand und Venedig nach München oder nach Wien - das wäre fantastisch. Wir haben das beste italienische Essen an Bord, ein tolles Kino, einen Waggon fürs Relaxen. Solche Züge haben Sie noch nicht gesehen", warb der Ferrari-Chef für sein Projekt.
(Schluss) ivn/ags
Basically Montezemolo told "Süddeutsche" he wants to take advantage of HSR deregulation in Europe and plans to connect Munich and Vienna with Milan and Venice.

Austria's part over the Brenner is already equipped with ETCS L2 and about to enter service by December this year. ETCS L2 won't be seen on Austria's Southern Railway before 2021 (or even later) though. TBH without the big projects (Koralm Railway and Semmering Base Tunnel) being finished, Vienna - Venice is highly unattractive by train.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #1131
Suburbanist
on the road

Indeed. There are even no more fast(ish) trains running between Wien and Venezia.
Old March 20th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #1132
Pironi

Likes (Received): 4

OBB would love to run more trains (apart from EN) between Vienna and Venice, but FS is blocking heavily. SBB, DB and SNCF just have the same problems with FS.
Pironi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #1133
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pironi View Post
OBB would love to run more trains (apart from EN) between Vienna and Venice, but FS is blocking heavily. SBB, DB and SNCF just have the same problems with FS.
RFI blocking OBB? Aren't issues related to safety and the deployment of the SCMT protocol?
Old March 20th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #1134
Pironi

Quote:
RFI blocking OBB? Aren't issues related to safety and the deployment of the SCMT protocol?
They did that on many occasions already, where it was not just about safety.

OBB's 1216 is certified for Italy, so safety can not be a real argument here. SCMT is further more compatible with ETCS L1 locos.
Old March 20th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #1135
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Basically Montezemolo told "Süddeutsche" he wants to take advantage of HSR deregulation in Europe and plans to connect Munich and Vienna with Milan and Venice.

Austria's part over the Brenner is already equipped with ETCS L2 and about to enter service by December this year. ETCS L2 won't be seen on Austria's Southern Railway before 2021 (or even later) though. TBH without the big projects (Koralm Railway and Semmering Base Tunnel) being finished, Vienna - Venice is highly unattractive by train.
One thing they could do is just cooperate with the current DB/OeBB Brenner operation. OeBB could also run trains again from Villach to Venezia (finally putting that new line the Italians build to good use) and coordinate timetables on both the Brenner and Pontebbana routes with Italo. And then sell through tickets. Italo is opening offices in all major railway stations. They could offer DB, OeBB, SNCF etc. to sell their tickets too.
Old March 20th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #1136
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
One thing they could do is just cooperate with the current DB/OeBB Brenner operation. OeBB could also run trains again from Villach to Venezia (finally putting that new line the Italians build to good use) and coordinate timetables on both the Brenner and Pontebbana routes with Italo. And then sell through tickets. Italo is opening offices in all major railway stations. They could offer DB, OeBB, SNCF etc. to sell their tickets too.
Why should Italo devalue its high effort to brand itself, at least in the Italian market, as a state-of-the-art service with THE most modern trains in Europe, a World apart from Trenitalia, then sell code-share tickets with crappy rolling stock from the late 1980s that OBB/DB uses on the Brennero route? Pointless.

It should run the AGVs all the way to Wien and München!
Old March 20th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #1137
Pironi

Quote:
[..]

It should run the AGVs all the way to Wien and München!
For that Italo would need more trains, or they have to thin out their service in Italy. A code-share agreement with OBB/DB (they formed a JV for the Brenner, right?) seems to be a great idea to check whether there's demand for that service or not.
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #1138
Galactic

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
For that Italo would need more trains, or they have to thin out their service in Italy. A code-share agreement with OBB/DB (they formed a JV for the Brenner, right?) seems to be a great idea to check whether there's demand for that service or not.
Mere thinning of their domestic schedule would not be enough, as the trainsets currently owned by NTV aren't equipped to operate in Austria or Germany. They have 3 kV and 25 kV power systems, while the voltage of the Austrian and German electrification is 15 kV.
Galactic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 03:49 AM   #1139
Pironi

You sure the AGV could not run at 15 kv as well? I mean it's the most common Voltage in Europe these days and pretty much all new locos can run at 15 kv. I am not aware of any that can not.
Old March 21st, 2012, 04:16 AM   #1140
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
it's the most common Voltage in Europe these days
It is? I would have thought 3kV or 1.5 kV or 25kV.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alta velocità