daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #1361
Fly80
Svaluser

Likes (Received): 151

nice 400 km/h train, RIP Pietro Mennea
Fly80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #1362
tool2106

Likes (Received): 1729

Quote:
Originally Posted by intersezioni View Post
The first Frecciarossa 1000 by Ansaldo Breda.
Now start the test and the 2014 Milan - Rome in 2 hours and 15 minutes compared to 3 today. Can 'get to a maximum speed of 400 km / h but the speed' commercial 'of 360 km / h:
Hold on man, you're completely mistaken. The train will allow in a far to come future to run from Milan to Rome in 2h15m. But as today this is just a dream. The Rome - Florence highspeed tracks have a speed limit of 250 km/h. The Florence highspeed crossover works, including the highspeed station designed by Norman Foster, are stuck due to legal troubles concerning materials disposal.

So until 2020 at best trains will continue stopping in Santa Maria Novella where they must invert course.

Once opened the Florence highspeed tracks will allow to gain 15 minute from the present travel time.

There's still a lot to come before trains will run from Rome Tiburtina to Milan Rogoredo in two hours and fifteen minutes.
tool2106 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:59 PM   #1363
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Platform height controversy delays arrival of Italo on the Adriatic line

ItaloTreno had signed a protocol with the regions concerned to start operating a partially high-speed service Milano-Ancona, travelling till Bologna on the HSL and then going on the Adriatic line (non-HS but heavily upgraded).

The proposal is to operate 6 daily runs connecting Ancona (endpoint), Rimini and a couple other cities with Bologna and Milano with a single-seat ride and - more importantly - with much more comfort than the combination of crappy-ish regional trains + high-speed with transfer in Bologna.

However, there was a quagmire: Rimini platforms are too low to allow the operation of the AGVs. ItaloTreno offered to pay for the costs of raising them 30cm, less than € 800.000 worth of works. However, there was no provision on RFI rules to allow an interested party to pay directly for an improvement on station or tracks that would allow them to use them. Even if they wanted to donate (not just anticipate trackage and path fees in natura) the whole work (raising the platforms in Rimini is already part of the long-term investment plan there anyway).

Long story short:

- Italo trains will start operating only from December (instead of June) 2013
- Trenitalia launched a new "freccia" train (not sure if frecciabianca or frecciargento) covering the same area, preempting the competition
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #1364
JumpUp

Likes (Received): 45

Hey,

is there currently any major project of new High Speed Rail in Italy? I know there is something going on in Firenze, but apart the Torino-Napoli-Salerno railway? Will there be any further HSR? Any new upgraded line for Fast trains?

Thank you!
JumpUp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #1365
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

The Treviglio-Brescia HSL (25 kV AC, ETCS) is under construction since little time and should open before 2020 (Milano-Treviglio is already in operation under 3 kV DC).

The Fréjus base tunnel (Lyon-Turin) might be constructed - but who knows?

Also some service tunnels for the Brenner base tunnel (BBT) are under construction.

I would not bet on the opening of these two tunnels before 2030, although the second one is more likely to be built.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #1366
joseph1951
BANNED

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool2106 View Post
Hold on man, you're completely mistaken. The train will allow in a far to come future to run from Milan to Rome in 2h15m. But as today this is just a dream. The Rome - Florence highspeed tracks have a speed limit of 250 km/h. The Florence highspeed crossover works, including the highspeed station designed by Norman Foster, are stuck due to legal troubles concerning materials disposal.

So until 2020 at best trains will continue stopping in Santa Maria Novella where they must invert course.

1-
Once opened the Florence highspeed tracks will allow to gain 15 minute from the present travel time.

There's still a lot to come before trains will run from Rome -Tiburtina to Milan- Rogoredo in two hours and fifteen minutes.
According to the original plan, the underpass in the Florence area will have speed restrictions of 70 km/h under the new Florence railway station, and of 60 km/h near Campo di Marte whilst, at present, the crossing of the florentine area allows a top speed of 115 km/h from Firenze Castelli to Firenze Campo di Marte.

At present the Milan- Central Rome- Termini non-stop service does not stop at Florence SMN station, therefore it does not revert it course in the Florence area.

The future underground crossing will be only a few hundred yards shorter than the present crossing but the top speed will be halved. Therefore it is very difficult to foresee a time reduction of 15 minutes.......

Last edited by joseph1951; April 9th, 2013 at 04:33 PM.
joseph1951 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #1367
intersezioni

Likes (Received): 32

Calatrava Bridge and new HS Trains station in Italy in Reggio Emilia.
Highway A1 Milan - Naples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-u-ykfE7rE

solchante liked this post

Last edited by intersezioni; April 15th, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
intersezioni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:24 AM   #1368
Cori
BANNED

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busfotodotnl View Post
Someone here who was in Pistoia yesterday and had the oppurtunity to take some pictures of the V250's over there?
image hosted on flickr

Detail of a case of electric trains V250 FYRA Dutch railways in working in the workshops Ansaldo Breda.

image hosted on flickr

Cockpit still incomplete electric trains High speed railway V250 FYRA Antilles. Pistoia 06/04/2013

http://www.railspotters.eu

Link o Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marc-sc...th/3598669016/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marc-sc...th/3598669016/

Suburbanist, timo9 liked this post
Cori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:34 PM   #1369
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

That brake lever continues to look weird to me. Also the cockpit arrangment isn't even close to the EUDD-PLUS recommendations, even though that was originally intended. For instance the traction/e-brake controller should be on the left and ep-brake controller on the right.
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:35 PM   #1370
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori View Post
image hosted on flickr

Cockpit still incomplete electric trains High speed railway V250 FYRA Antilles. Pistoia 06/04/2013

Is that Comic Sans????
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:12 PM   #1371
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Is that Comic Sans????
Looks like it is.

It reads "Please don't touch it".

Last edited by Suburbanist; April 23rd, 2013 at 03:19 PM.
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:19 PM   #1372
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Figures they don't want anyone touching it... it might break :P

Anyway, you can't possibly keep defending AnsaldoBreda now that we know they use Comic Sans!
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:02 PM   #1373
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Anyway, you can't possibly keep defending AnsaldoBreda now that we know they use Comic Sans!
I agree that is not the best display of professionalism.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:12 PM   #1374
Cori
BANNED

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busfotodotnl View Post
Someone here who was in Pistoia yesterday and had the oppurtunity to take some pictures of the V250's over there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I agree that is not the best display of professionalism.
Due to A public visit to the factory workers have put that sign to avoid damage. In fact the dashboard is covered by scotch
Cori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:42 PM   #1375
Ocean Railroader
The Railroad Anomily

Likes (Received): 5

I rode on the new section on my trip to Italy between Venice and Rome and the bulk of it is like going in a giant subway tunnel for miles and miles underground which was kind of boring. But the trains where packed with people which was a good sign.
Ocean Railroader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:33 PM   #1376
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Railroader View Post
I rode on the new section on my trip to Italy between Venice and Rome and the bulk of it is like going in a giant subway tunnel for miles and miles underground which was kind of boring. But the trains where packed with people which was a good sign.
do you mean between Bologna and Firenze?

Amazing stuff, isn't it? Too bad only the Swiss get credit for the Gotthard project. I think the new tunnels under the Apennines are equally impressive due to their challenging geology, seismic activity and extreme water pressure.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:36 PM   #1377
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Railroader View Post
Yes, between Roma and Bologna there are almost half the kilometers underground. Exspecially between Firenze and Bologna, where of the total 78 km, 73,3 are underground.
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:12 PM   #1378
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Some statistics:

Tunnels between Bologna and Florence:

Bologna underground section ~5000 (from main station)
Pianoro 10843
Sadurano 3859
Monte Bibele 9243
Raticosa 10436
Scheggianico 3556
Firenzuola 15280
Borgo Rinzelli 717
Morticine 693
Vaglia 18716

A total of 73343 m excluding Bologna city tunnel (73 km out of 78).

The summit of the line is inside Raticosa tunnel.

Main tunnels between Firenze and Rome:

San Donato 10954
tunnel chain before Arezzo ~7500
Castiglione 7391
Orte 9371 (Y-shaped, including an underground junction)
Sant'Oreste 5710 (part of a tunnel chain of more than 15 km underground)

Tunnels between Carnia and state border near Tarvisio:

Campiolo-Monte Palis 5575
Zuc dal Bor 9222
Le Piche/San Rocco 4057
San Leopoldo 5716
Malborghetto 8067
Camporosso 6934
Tarvisio 1052
Leila 3269

43892 m in 54,6 km

The tunnels between Andora and Bordighera (Genova-Ventimiglia-France line) account for around 30 km in 48 km (of which one of 13,1 km, including San Remo underground station, and many of ~3 km). Another planned section should have ~25 km underground in ~32 km (longest tunnel over 10 km). This means 55 km in tunnel out of 80, but I don't have exact figures.

The Genova-La Spezia, Bologna-Firenze (non-HS) and Napoli-Reggio Calabria also have many long or consecutive tunnels, but none over 10 km (except one of 18,5 km on the Bologna-Firenze, second longest for many decades after the Simplon Tunnel, also half in Italy).

(by the way, I never imagined I would have liked one post from Suburbanist written in the rail forum, one day!)

For some statistics look here: http://www.lotsberg.net/ (lengths on that site are usually quite correct, but planned opening dates often are not)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Verso liked this post
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:29 PM   #1379
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Excellent post

By the way I have a feeling that Italian high speed rail system has attracted comparably little attention outside Italy. People write a lot about Spain and France, but there has been a lot of progress in Italy as well.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #1380
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11124

A couple of pics of Reggio Emilia HS station (aka Stazione Medio Padana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool2106 View Post
Me le hanno mandate via FB, prendete e godetene tutti:

Credits @ Roberto Olivari:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcinto View Post
[IMG]http://i43.************/300zhqc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.************/ak8jed.jpg[/IMG]

neuromancer, Silly_Walks, narkelion, Galro liked this post
GENIUS LOCI no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alta velocità