daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Cultural and Sporting Venues

Cultural and Sporting Venues From Football Stadiums to Opera Houses.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2007, 06:29 PM   #1
CharlieP

Likes (Received): 519

Aviva Premiership stadium expansion plans?

Bath Rugby have published a draft prospectus outlining their ambitions for The Rec, which can be downloaded at:

http://www.bathrugby.com/prospectus.pdf

It's an interesting enough read in itself, but the last page caught my eye as it details other clubs' future plans, as follows:

Bath - 10,600 - Plans being prepared to apply for 15,000 capacity arena at the Rec.

Bristol - 11,976 - Ground share at Bristol Rovers, who have plans to develop. Can play one-off games at Bristol City’s ground - 21,000.

Gloucester - 12,500 - Plans have been mooted to rebuild one stand - which would take attendance over 15k - more detail expected by end of 06/07 season.

Leicester Tigers - 16,815 - Have purchased freehold of Welford Rd with view to developing ground to 25k+ over 10 years.

London Irish - 24,100 - Ground share with Reading FC. First class stadium which meets all criteria but no primacy of tenure.

London Wasps - 10,000 - Ground share with Wycombe FC. Plans to develop and increase capacity to 15k announced July 2006 to include new access road. No timescales confirmed.

NEC Harlequins - 12,700 - Have recently developed one stand at cost of £8m to take capacity to 12,700. Outline plans to develop another stand to take capacity up to around 15k.

Newcastle Falcons - 10,200 - Have recently developed ground - now all seater and covered. No plans for further development.

Northampton Saints - 13,500 - One further stand to develop to take capacity to 15k+.

Sale Sharks - 10,641 - Ground share with Stockport County (owned by chairman of Sale Sharks). No development plans at present.

Saracens - 19,108 - Ground share with Watford. Large though old fashioned stadium – ground improvement plans recently announced.

Worcester - 10,221 - Have recently increased capacity to over 10k - plans to increase further to 13,200 by 2008.

I knew about Gloucester and Leicester, but does anybody have any extra information on any of the other clubs? Presumably the new stand at Quins is the open south end, and at Northampton the end with all the hospitality boxes? Also, I'm pretty certain Newcastle's Kingston Park still has a terrace at one end!

Last edited by CharlieP; January 2nd, 2007 at 01:04 PM.
CharlieP no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 1st, 2007, 06:54 PM   #2
Madman
London 2012

Likes (Received): 7

I'm studying architecture in Bath and i have to say i am not too sure of the chances of the Rec being expanded. According to local reports relations between B&NES and the Rugby Club have become bitter to say the least and the rugby club might end up in some business park like setting on the outskirts.
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 09:11 PM   #3
dronkula

Likes (Received): 12

The details of the plans for Bristol Memorial Ground can be found on the Bristol Rovers FC website at http://www.bristolrovers.premiumtv.c....html?ptvParm=

The planning app to increase capacity to an 18,500 all seater stadium was submitted in September but the locals are not happy so it's not going to get an easy ride through to being approved.
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:13 AM   #4
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Big step forward for £23m Warriors stadium revolution
14 December 2006, 3:35 pm
By Mark Higgitt

The £23m development of Worcester Rugby Club’s Sixways stadium complex has moved a step closer after the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Ruth Kelly, decided not to intervene with the application.
She says the scheme – which includes a new North Stand, a health centre and racquet club, a new car park, and replacement training pitches – meets planning policy guidelines relating to green belt development, public transport access, and the provision of sports and leisure facilities.
That leaves the final decision to Wychavon District Council – which has already passed the plans unanimously.
It also means that Worcestershire County Council can now apply for permission to use the proposed new car parking as a park-and-ride facility for the city.
And it is the trigger for the club and its partners to ink in key stages of the action plan that will transform Sixways.
Drainage works have already been complete behind the position of the proposed North Stand, and the rerouting of Barbourne Brook will begin early in the new year.
When the complex is complete, for the start of the 2008-2009 season, Warriors will have one of the best club rugby stadiums in England, with a capacity of 13,200.
The North Stand will boast an open concourse with concessions stands, a shop, ticket office and toilets, as well as a hospitality suite, kitchen and toilets on the first floor, and balconies and bars on the second. From this floor, up to the third, will be seating for 1,860. There will also be space for 3,174 standing spectators.
The Esporta sports and leisure complex, between the East Stand and Pershore Lane, will include an outdoor pool and tennis courts, two of which will be covered by an inflatable dome, and a 250-space car park.
Inside, there will be a tennis hall, with six courts, a multi-purpose sports hall, a 25mn indoor pool, and a gym.
If separate planning permission is given, the new car park behind the stadium will become a park-and-ride site for the city, with fans having exclusive use on match days.
“It has been the most complex project I’ve been involved with,” said club chairman Cecil Duckworth. “Dealing with the different agencies and, at the same time, meeting the requirements for the club, Esporta and Worcestershire County Council to enable them to have a park-and-ride facility at Sixways on non match days, has been very time-consuming.
“However, once the new road system’s installed and the other facilities are complete, we’ll have a fabulous site and getting to the ground will be considerably improved, together with a quality car park.
“We look forward to getting rid of the problems of mud, and so on, which is a continual battle at the moment. We hope to start the work on the new roadworks and car parking in the spring and for this to be completed by the beginning of next season, when work will start on the Esporta complex and the North Stand, which will be completed in the autumn of 2008.
“I’m certainly looking forward to the day when it’s completed, and I’m sure it will be well-received by our supporters and everyone involved with the club.”
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM   #5
CharlieP

Nice one. I remember seeing a render of the proposed new Next Stand at Leicester a few years ago on an architect's website - no idea where though...
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:18 PM   #6
Ciudad Bristol
Virtute et Industria

Likes (Received): 5

The Christmas clash between Bristol and Bath at Ashton Gate attracted a record Premiership attendance (in regular season outside of Twickenham) of 21,203.

Five car services on the East London Line (ELL) - December 2014
Ciudad Bristol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:40 PM   #7
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

Some big Stockport fan was saying to me that sale sharks have got to move elsewhere within the next 2 years. No idea if its true or not but they have had plans in the past to build their own new ground. Trafford should let them redevelop their old ground, then I can start going again as its only a 5 minute walk away.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:54 AM   #8
Mancunian Monkey
In the Re-education Gulag

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
Some big Stockport fan was saying to me that sale sharks have got to move elsewhere within the next 2 years. No idea if its true or not but they have had plans in the past to build their own new ground. Trafford should let them redevelop their old ground, then I can start going again as its only a 5 minute walk away.
Yeh it's only 5mins away from me too. But I never thought that there was much room around the ground that could be used for an expansion?
Mancunian Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:03 PM   #9
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Yeh it's only 5mins away from me too. But I never thought that there was much room around the ground that could be used for an expansion?
There's not alot of room but if the whole lot was cleared out I recon they could fit a new 10,000 seater ground in quite easily. I was at the ground not to long ago and there was a hedgehog running about.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:08 PM   #10
Isaac Newell

Don't Sale own Edgeley Park ?
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:45 PM   #11
CharlieP

10,000 isn't enough though - I don't know what the exact proposals are, but according to the prospectus I posted at the start of the thread:

"Criteria set by Premier Rugby Limited require us to achieve capacity of 15,000 by 2010 or face measures which would further damage our ability to compete professionally at the highest level."

Some people have mentioned a possible move to Salford Reds' new stadium, which is 2/3 the distance from Heywood Road compared to Edgeley Park, but not having primacy of tenure might be an arse...
Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:40 PM   #12
Isaac Newell

Seems a bit daft having to build a new stadium when you will only fill it for big matches.

Stade Francaise have the right idea, playing Toulouse and Biarritz at the Stade de France they get 80,000 crowds for those two games whilst getting 12,000 crowds for their games played on their own stadium. They recently played Sale at Parc des Princes and pulled in 45,000.

There's Old Trafford, COMS, the Reebok, JJB close by and Stoke City's ground not much further away.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:49 PM   #13
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Newell View Post
Don't Sale own Edgeley Park ?
Nope, its owned by Stockport Country who are owned by some other guy.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:57 PM   #14
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Seems a bit daft having to build a new stadium when you will only fill it for big matches.

Stade Francaise have the right idea, playing Toulouse and Biarritz at the Stade de France they get 80,000 crowds for those two games whilst getting 12,000 crowds for their games played on their own stadium. They recently played Sale at Parc des Princes and pulled in 45,000.

There's Old Trafford, COMS, the Reebok, JJB close by and Stoke City's ground not much further away.
Well Sale get 10,000 for most games. They'd never fit 15,000 seats into the old ground but they need to come up with something as we all know they won't be at Stockport for ever.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:05 PM   #15
Isaac Newell

What about an improved Old Trafford Cricket Ground ?
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:20 PM   #16
LeedsLad

Likes (Received): 21

Not a Premiership side this season, but sure to be back next season or season after, Leeds Tykes probably have one of the best grounds in Rugby Union - Headingley. Just built a new East stand with plans to redevelop the Main North stand - Capacity will be 22.5k, with 2 brand new covered mainly seated stands, and the exisitng huge covered terrace that is the South Stand.
LeedsLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #17
CharlieP

Quote:
What about an improved Old Trafford Cricket Ground ?
Not on your nelly. We don't have Australia's climate, so there's no way you could play rugby on the square in winter and expect it to recover. Even if there was room for a rugby pitch to one side, you'd only have seating along one touchline, and an odd arrangement at each end.
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #18
CharlieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
Nope, its owned by Stockport Country who are owned by some other guy.
I thought Brian Kennedy (Sale owner) bought Stockport a couple of years ago?
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #19
CharlieP

Oh no, my mistake, it turns out he handed ownership to a supporters' group as County was losing money. Though I reckon the status quo is that Kennedy owns Sale and Edgeley Park.
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #20
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
Oh no, my mistake, it turns out he handed ownership to a supporters' group as County was losing money. Though I reckon the status quo is that Kennedy owns Sale and Edgeley Park.
That's Correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockpo...e_Great_Escape

I have no idea who owns Edgeley Park.