daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:57 AM   #1541
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

I cannot see where Bosnia will get the money from to finish the expensive Sarajevo - Mostar section via the Dinaric Alps...at least before EU entry in perhaps 10 years time.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:07 AM   #1542
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestvaran View Post
Assuming you asked if many towns and villages are not marked on major roads, the answer is yes, they are.
There are some isolated cases, but in general, I didn't notice any problem with it. The biggest issue to me is that many of these villages and towns are incredibly spread out, so you end up crawling for 50-60 for a long, long way.

In general, I think Bosnian signage is generally fine - the only problem is the utter lack of signs giving distances to places.

Quote:
I cannot see where Bosnia will get the money from to finish the expensive Sarajevo - Mostar section via the Dinaric Alps...at least before EU entry in perhaps 10 years time.
EU entry won't happen within 10 years. The EU door is shut for 2014-2020, and Bosnia is struggling to enact the reforms needed to close the OHR. It's not pretty, but it's how it is. On the other hand, I can see the EU helping out Bosnia to get the A1 finished.

But optimistically, if they can pay back the loans with the tolls from the existing A1, then I think there's a very good chance that we'll see the A1 complete from the border to Mostar before long.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:40 AM   #1543
Eulanthe

A small, but odd question. I was watching a video on youtube, and someone used the word "autostrada" in reference to "highway to hell". The video dates from the early 90's, but - I thought the word "autoput" or "autocesta" was used in Bosnia - so why was autostrada used?
Old August 23rd, 2014, 01:06 AM   #1544
čarli

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
A small, but odd question. I was watching a video on youtube, and someone used the word "autostrada" in reference to "highway to hell". The video dates from the early 90's, but - I thought the word "autoput" or "autocesta" was used in Bosnia - so why was autostrada used?
Probably it was italian
čarli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 01:39 AM   #1545
atupi

Likes (Received): 0

Hello people! On sunday morning i'm starting my trip to Balkans from Bucharest>Beograd>Makarska and i intend to make an overnight stop in Bosnia or maybe Serbia close to border. What is your recommendation on the way to pass Bih ?
After chcking viamichelin and other routing websites i'm tempted to stop in Loznica or to Bijeljila and to take Tuzla > Sarajevo direction.
I know in East Europe infrastructure is changing fast and is better to ask a local than following the GpS.
Do you have any recommendation to me regarding the easiest and confortable way to travel across Bih ?
Regards from Romania,
Adrian
atupi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 02:10 AM   #1546
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

You should use Tuzla-Sarajevo direction,after you should use Sarajevo-Mostar and on the end Mostar-Metkovic direction.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 10:57 AM   #1547
nestvaran
Inveniam viam

Likes (Received): 5106

My recomendation is to use Belgrade-Slavonski Brod-Doboj-Zenica-Sarajevo-Mostar-Capljina-Ljubuski-Bijaca/Nova Sela border crossing-Ploče-Makarska. That's the fastest route especialy if you have never driven on our roads before

Last edited by nestvaran; August 23rd, 2014 at 11:02 AM.
nestvaran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:16 PM   #1548
Eulanthe

Quote:
My recomendation is to use Belgrade-Slavonski Brod-Doboj-Zenica-Sarajevo-Mostar-Capljina-Ljubuski-Bijaca/Nova Sela border crossing-Ploče-Makarska. That's the fastest route especialy if you have never driven on our roads before
Yes, absolutely. Do not do Sarajevo-Tuzla, while the road surface is fine, it's a brutal 2 hour drive in terms of constant bends and elevation changes and will leave you wrecked after it. From Slavonski Brod, it's much, much easier and faster.

The route that nestvaran mentions is perfect, especially with the Bijaca/Nova Sela crossing - the "old" crossing at Metkovic is a complete disaster right now with 2+ hour queues being normal.

Carli - the guy speaking wasn't Italian, but Bosnian speaking their language
Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:35 PM   #1549
atupi

Thank you guys for advice. Is not first time for me in Bih i've been 5 years ago from Split-Mostar-Sarajevo-slavonski Brod (if i remember well) and second time coming from Kotor via Piva canyion thru Mokra Gora.
I will do my best to avoid Tuzla - Sarajevo and Metkovic border crossing point.

My first idea was to take Ruma-Loznica-Zvornik -Sarajevo but i believe is a bad idea.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 01:12 PM   #1550
KHS

Likes (Received): 928

Best route is Belgrade - Slavonski Brod - Sarajevo - Mostar - Bijača/Nova Sela border crossing - continue on Croatian A1 - Zagvozd exit (No 29) - Biokovo (Sveti Ilija) tunnel

Last edited by KHS; August 23rd, 2014 at 01:21 PM.
KHS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 01:43 PM   #1551
definitivo

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:

...what about Belgrade - Slavonski Samac/Bosanski Samac - Doboj ?
definitivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 08:13 PM   #1552
atupi

I will take the recommended route with an overnight stop in Slavonski Brod.

One last question: what are the speed limits in BIH on european/national roads ? I should know something specific about trafic police and their radars?
Thanks to everyone for all advices.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 09:51 PM   #1553
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1554

Quote:
slang
BL2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014, 04:02 AM   #1554
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by atupi View Post
One last question: what are the speed limits in BIH on european/national roads ? I should know something specific about trafic police and their radars?
50 (although some sources claim 60, even at border crossings...!) in towns, 80 outside towns, everything else will be explicitly signed. Be careful - although signage is a lot better these days, you should probably slow to 50 if the area looks like a 50 zone even if you don't see the sign.

Police are quite common, so be patient when driving through BiH. From what I've seen, police tend to be in the middle of towns rather than at the entry/exit. No idea if they're open for 'negotiations' or not - some sources suggest yes, but I don't think it's anywhere near as rife as in Montenegro and Serbia.
Old August 24th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #1555
nestvaran
Inveniam viam

Likes (Received): 5106

Just follow the signage and everything will be fine
nestvaran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #1556
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

You should watch for the police right after you cross the border.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #1557
ETSman
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 445

You should always be careful because bosnians never drive under the speed limit.

FK SARAJEVO
ETSman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #1558
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSman View Post
You should always be careful because bosnians never drive under the speed limit.
Bosnians are remarkably calm to me. Even Sarajevo is ridiculously easy to drive around.

Disclaimer : I passed my test in Poland and live in Poland
Old August 25th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #1559
ETSman
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 445

Quote:
Bosnians are remarkably calm to me. Even Sarajevo is ridiculously easy to drive around.

Disclaimer : I passed my test in Poland and live in Poland
haha, there are many good drivers but mostly bad drivers. I have driven from sarajevo to Neum many times and that's not a safe trip. Many make stupid decisions that could lead to their death. I'm not saying only bosnians drive stupid but most aren't so good.

We were driving home from Neum some weeks ago and in Mostar a car with italian license plate drives past on full lines and at small crossings. Where are the police when you need them? And do italians drive so bad?

BTW congrats if you took it recently :p

FK SARAJEVO
ETSman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #1560
leopol

Likes (Received): 7544

@atupi

Slavonski Samac/Bosanski Samac - Modrica - Doboj - Zenica - Sarajevo is better choice than Slavonski Brod/Bosanski Brod border crossing

But both include crossing from SRB to HR that might be time-consuming.
Given that, you might use from Belgrade highway to Zagreb - exit Kuzmin - Sremska Rača/Rača border crossing - Bijeljina - Zvornik - Vlasenica - Han Pijesak - Sokolac - Sarajevo.
I would use that one for sure Quite fast road with nice view

Regarding speed limits, you can always drive 10 km/h above speed limits, you'll never get fined

"Svako iduće Sarajevo biće slično ogromnoj slagalici čiji će se raspršeni djelići slagati možda godinama i decenijama prije nego što zaista počne ličiti na nešto. Svako od nas (mislim tu na one kojima je do te slagalice stalo) treba znati da pokuša sačuvati svoje djeliće te slagalice i čekati, ili, još prije, raditi na tome da se čekanje zamijeni akcijom i ubrza trenutak kada će se opet početi slagati prava slika Sarajeva, ne ista kao ranije, već prije kao njena varijacija" - Karim Zaimović, 1993.

MHN liked this post
leopol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bosnia and herzegovina, highways