daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2015, 10:28 PM   #1821
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Green card shouldn't be just for one country, it lists all countries you are insured to drive by your insurance. I also asked for the paper here, the woman asked me if one still needs it, and I told her for some countries like Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Albania, you still need it. So she printed it and I had no problems with it last year during my Balkan trip in all those countries listed above.

Of course, if your insurance doesn't cover Bosnia, you have to buy a separate insurance.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:09 PM   #1822
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

I have already heard several times, that British insurance companies don't cover the Balkan countries so that seems true.

However, you don't buy a green card but an insurance for BiH. No idea where you can buy it there, but it's common that you can buy it directly before the border crossing point. The costs should be always the same no matter where you or you car is from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
I would also ask if you can recommend E761 + M20 + M18 as a scenic, safe and reasonably fast connection?
Absolutely yes! That'a quite nice route and the roads are both wide and in good condition. So no problem there!

piotr71 liked this post
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:42 PM   #1823
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i had no idea about not issuing green cards for BIH.
however, you will definitely find insurance company office on the border crossing which will make it. and yes, it will not be green card, but short-term insurance. usually it costs cca 30€ for 3 days.

piotr71 liked this post
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 12:45 AM   #1824
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Green card shouldn't be just for one country, it lists all countries you are insured to drive by your insurance. I also asked for the paper here, the woman asked me if one still needs it, and I told her for some countries like Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Albania, you still need it. So she printed it and I had no problems with it last year during my Balkan trip in all those countries listed above.

Of course, if your insurance doesn't cover Bosnia, you have to buy a separate insurance.
There is no need to have one in Serbia, since 2012. I, more or less, know green cards' distributors and the prices for Albania and Montenegro. Only Bosnia&Herzegovina weren't clear to me.

panchevo liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #1825
Alien x

Likes (Received): 3467

Quote:
There is no need to have one in Serbia, since 2012. I, more or less, know green cards' distributors and the prices for Albania and Montenegro. Only Bosnia&Herzegovina weren't clear to me.
First time I hear the Bosnia&Herzegovina is a problem because its been included in green cards list without restrictions for about 13 years. I know several people that drive from the UK to BiH and never had issues or had to get separate insurance for BiH. Ask your insurer to provide you with a green card which should be free with your insurance. On the card you can check what countries are included.
Alien x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #1826
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

A country might be available for green-card coverage, but the insurance might see the country as a potential risk. I recently rented a car and was not allowed to enter Central Europe with it, which is of course nuts.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #1827
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien x View Post
First time I hear the Bosnia&Herzegovina is a problem because its been included in green cards list without restrictions for about 13 years. I know several people that drive from the UK to BiH and never had issues or had to get separate insurance for BiH. Ask your insurer to provide you with a green card which should be free with your insurance. On the card you can check what countries are included.
Well, if my insurer had issued the green card I would not have typed a word in this thread. I will be visiting several ex-Yugoslav countries plus Albania, and even though, all of them are in the green card club, it means nothing to the British car insurance businesses, sorry. There is obviously not a problem for the Polish insurers, which I have my other vehicle insured with. And, it might sound a little sad to you, but for me this is just another example of a typical British businesses' ignorance, they, my insurance company, easily can issue a green card(AFAIk it's actually different coulour of the card) for the trip to Morocco or Tunisia but no way to get one for BiH or Montenegro.

Therefore, I would have appreciated if you had shared your knowledge about "granicne osiguranje". I may paste some Bosnian quoted texts here, so you could confirm if I am right or not regarding prices, purchasing procedures and locations of agents (even though I can understand ex-Yugoslav languages to a certain extend it would be easier to have some kind of support).
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #1828
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
I have already heard several times, that British insurance companies don't cover the Balkan countries so that seems true. However, you don't buy a green card but an insurance for BiH. No idea where you can buy it there, but it's common that you can buy it directly before the border crossing point. The costs should be always the same no matter where you or you car is from. Absolutely yes! That'a quite nice route and the roads are both wide and in good condition. So no problem there!
What is with the little part of BiH between Dubrovnik and Split, is that exempt or do you need valid BiH insurance for that too?
Old June 16th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #1829
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1521

why should it be different there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
A country might be available for green-card coverage, but the insurance might see the country as a potential risk. I recently rented a car and was not allowed to enter Central Europe with it, which is of course nuts.
rent a car i a different story
BL2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #1830
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Well, if my insurer had issued the green card I would not have typed a word in this thread. I will be visiting several ex-Yugoslav countries plus Albania, and even though, all of them are in the green card club, it means nothing to the British car insurance businesses, sorry. There is obviously not a problem for the Polish insurers, which I have my other vehicle insured with. And, it might sound a little sad to you, but for me this is just another example of a typical British businesses' ignorance, they, my insurance company, easily can issue a green card(AFAIk it's actually different coulour of the card) for the trip to Morocco or Tunisia but no way to get one for BiH or Montenegro.

Therefore, I would have appreciated if you had shared your knowledge about "granicne osiguranje". I may paste some Bosnian quoted texts here, so you could confirm if I am right or not regarding prices, purchasing procedures and locations of agents (even though I can understand ex-Yugoslav languages to a certain extend it would be easier to have some kind of support).
have you even tried to ask your insurance house to issue a green card? they are obliged to do that, just don't mention BIH (if they are so suspicious towards it). you will see after issuing it if BIH is covered or not. (btw, don't they issue green card automatically when you are making insurance each year?!)
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:23 PM   #1831
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL2 View Post
why should it be different there? rent a car i a different story
If i rent a Herz Car in Slovenia and drive to Bosnia or rent it in Belgium and drive to Bosnia, it apparently makes a difference. I guess because the insurance is USA based, and they still mark Central Europe as Eastern Europe, like nothing changed since 1989...

Nevertheless, even if I would go by my own car, it all depends on the geographical span of coverage you take and pay for to your insurance.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:23 PM   #1832
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
have you even tried to ask your insurance house to issue a green card? they are obliged to do that, just don't mention BIH (if they are so suspicious towards it). you will see after issuing it if BIH is covered or not. (btw, don't they issue green card automatically when you are making insurance each year?!)
In Serbia you have to pay for green card (little less than 20 EUR), and no, you don't get it automatically...
We also need green card for BiH and Macedonia and not for the EU.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:46 PM   #1833
piotr71

Quote:
British insurers aren't obliged to issue green card. Since I found how difficult it is to get one, I read hundreds of posts in British fora and can see it's more than common problem here. Yes, I can change an insurance company, just for the green card, but it would cost me a lot more than buiyng a cover on each border crossed
Old June 17th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #1834
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
In Serbia you have to pay for green card (little less than 20 EUR), and no, you don't get it automatically...
We also need green card for BiH and Macedonia and not for the EU.
In Bosnia u get it either free of charge or for 2.5€
BL2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 10:51 AM   #1835
Alien x

Quote:
British insurers aren't obliged to issue green card. Since I found how difficult it is to get one, I read hundreds of posts in British fora and can see it's more than common problem here. Yes, I can change an insurance company, just for the green card, but it would cost me a lot more than buiyng a cover on each border crossed
Actually they are obligated, they just ignore it because it is free of charge.

http://www.confused.com/car-insuranc...driving-abroad
http://www.greenflag.com/help/drivin...our-cover.html
http://london.angloinfo.com/informat...ip/green-card/

This is the official site http://www.cobx.org/ You can check what UK insurance companies are covered.

piotr71 liked this post

Last edited by Alien x; June 17th, 2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old June 17th, 2015, 10:58 AM   #1836
Alien x

Quote:
My experience with insurances in Italy and Switzerland is that generally when you get your proof of insurance they don't print the section for the green card automatically even though a green section is already part of the document (just not printed). Basically you have to ask them (before or after) to give you a copy and they do it with out any additional charges.
Old June 17th, 2015, 02:26 PM   #1837
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
What is with the little part of BiH between Dubrovnik and Split, is that exempt or do you need valid BiH insurance for that too?
You need insurance there too.

The problem with BiH is that many border crossings don't actually sell insurance - for instance, Neum 1/2 don't sell it. While BiH don't really bother to control the Neum border, if you have an accident along the Neum corridor - then you'd be really in trouble without proof of insurance.

Piotr - have you tried asking for the Green Card without saying which countries? Or failing that - have you tried asking for Tunisia/Morocco and just seeing what turns up? They have to actually "cancel" the Green Card boxes, so it's possible that you'll get it without any cancelled boxes.

I remember being very amused when getting my first Polish Green Card as it meant that I could drive to Iran with insurance
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #1838
piotr71

Quote:
Actually they are obligated, they just ignore it because it is free of charge.

http://www.confused.com/car-insuranc...driving-abroad
http://www.greenflag.com/help/drivin...our-cover.html
http://london.angloinfo.com/informat...ip/green-card/

This is the official site http://www.cobx.org/ You can check what UK insurance companies are covered.

Quote:
Green Cards are also not necessary for some non-EU countries who are signatory to Section III of the Internal Regulations, which is an international agreement between Green Card Bureaux. These countries are Iceland, Norway, Switzerland (incorporating Liechtenstein), Andorra and Serbia. Although a Green Card is not necessary for these non-EU countries our advice is to check the insurance position with your insurers before you travel. Our understanding is that a UK insurer is not legally obliged to provide cover for non-EU countries, although some may choose to do so.

A UK insurer is under no legal obligation to issue a green card for Section II countries and if your insurer refuses to do so it will be necessary to "shop around" to try to find the cover. Alternatively, enquiries should be made into the possibility of obtaining insurance at the border.
Motor Insurance Bureaux.
Old June 17th, 2015, 11:57 PM   #1839
Alien x

Quote:

Motor Insurance Bureaux.
The sites where suggested to me by friends that regularly drive from UK. For them it took only a request to their insurer to get the copy of a green card, but I guess Uk has to be unique in everything this included.

Last edited by Alien x; June 18th, 2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old June 18th, 2015, 01:01 AM   #1840
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
The sites where suggested to me by friends that regularly drive from UK. For them it took only a request to their insurer to get the copy of a green card, but I guess Uk has to be unique in everything this included.
Pretty much. There are some insurance companies that do stupid things like cover all the Green Card signatory countries, but then only issue the Green Card on a piece of white A4 paper - and so some border guards have problems with it as a result.

Poland may not be perfect, but I still love the way that I can get a proper Green Card here that is valid in all countries that participate in the scheme without any problems whatsoever.

Speaking of Green Cards, I was never asked once by Croatia to show the Green Card before they joined the EU. Bosnia never asked on the Neum corridor but always asked elsewhere and Montenegro always asked. Serbia was more interested in the car registration documents.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bosnia and herzegovina, highways