daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2015, 08:54 PM   #1901
chuckw2010

Likes (Received): 4

are the roads good in bosnia and herzegovina? like germany or poorer?

darko06 liked this post
chuckw2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2015, 09:24 PM   #1902
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1521

a bit better.
can this post be deleted?

SRC_100, MichiH, aleksandar_s liked this post
BL2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 03:24 AM   #1903
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckw2010 View Post
are the roads good in bosnia and herzegovina? like germany or poorer?
Depends on the road. There are very bad roads in Germany as well as very good roads in BiH and vice versa...

In General, the main roads Mx or Mx.x are quite good. Sometimes a bit curvy, but asphalt is good. There are a few exceptions, as alway. For example the M5 from Travik (Lasva) to Bihac is an excellent road. From Praca towards Rogatica it's a nightmare

The regional raods are a different story: Some where rebuild in the past years and some are even unpaved...

However, it's nice to drive in BiH

darko06 liked this post
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 04:07 PM   #1904
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
There is no need to have one in Serbia, since 2012. I, more or less, know green cards' distributors and the prices for Albania and Montenegro. Only Bosnia&Herzegovina weren't clear to me.
Just came back form Balkans and now everything is clear to me. Motor insurance can be bought on the borders from an agent. It cost 25 euros for 3 days in Bosnia and Herzegovina.. Custom officers also check it when one leaving country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
Depends on the road. There are very bad roads in Germany as well as very good roads in BiH and vice versa...

In General, the main roads Mx or Mx.x are quite good. Sometimes a bit curvy, but asphalt is good. There are a few exceptions, as alway. For example the M5 from Travik (Lasva) to Bihac is an excellent road. From Praca towards Rogatica it's a nightmare

The regional raods are a different story: Some where rebuild in the past years and some are even unpaved...

However, it's nice to drive in BiH
Road from Praca to Rogatica (Kukavice) isn't even signed. It probably was quite important corridor in the past but currently it's better to avoid it, as I was told by locals. If it comes to quality of the roads, I have to say, I am really impressed, they are excellent and in many cases superiour to quality of road's network in some Western and Eastern European countries; UK for example. Though, there are some dangers waiting for the drivers there; beware of the cows and curves unless you desire to end up in one of the hundreds tombs alongside Bosnian roads.
Old August 24th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #1905
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Quote:
Road from Praca to Rogatica (Kukavice) isn't even signed. It probably was quite important corridor in the past but currently it's better to avoid it, as I was told by locals. If it comes to quality of the roads, I have to say, I am really impressed, they are excellent and in many cases superiour to quality of road's network in some Western and Eastern European countries; UK for example. Though, there are some dangers waiting for the drivers there; beware of the cows and curves unless you desire to end up in one of the hundreds tombs alongside Bosnian roads.
it was never important. It is not even magistrala.
Old August 25th, 2015, 03:34 AM   #1906
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Just came back form Balkans and now everything is clear to me. Motor insurance can be bought on the borders from an agent. It cost 25 euros for 3 days in Bosnia and Herzegovina.. Custom officers also check it when one leaving country.
I was fooling around on the border for a week and they didn't check anything except passports on the border I expected at least one request, but nope, nothing. That was with PL plates and one PL passport and one UK passport.

Talking about BiH in general, about the only bad thing was the macadam road from Martin Brod to Kulen Vakuf. Everything else was fine - perhaps twisty and tedious in some places (such as Bihać-Bosanska Krupa), but nothing wrong with the surface at all.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 12:30 PM   #1907
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL2 View Post
it was never important. It is not even magistrala.
It's signed as road nbr 5 on one of my maps.
Old August 25th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #1908
BL2
I bin a Wiena

But M5 was never built and finished there, it was just plan and it was built until Hrenovica and never finished, because war broke out.
From Hrenovica then you have two roads one local, village road leading to Mesici south of Rogatica, where M5 should have been built, and R448 leading to Gorazde, old regional road.
Here you can see it more precisely.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/43.7493/18.8931

and on this video you can see road from Hrenovica direction Mesici, first 1km is M5 and then after 1 km it ends and village road, uncategorised, starts (from 7:15).

And here is M5 from Praca to Hrenovica

There was a plan few years back to finish these missing 20km, however financial crisis happened

piotr71 liked this post

Last edited by BL2; August 25th, 2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old August 26th, 2015, 01:06 AM   #1909
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Thats' not quite correct! Of course, the M5 is not finished there, but it's classified and named as M5 through Praca canyon. You can see it e.g. there:
http://www.jpcfbih.ba/ba/aktivnosti/odrzavanje.shtml

"5. Bosansko-Podrinjski Kanton"
M-5 13,900 Gr.Ent.-Prača-Hrenovica-Gr.Ent.

Since it's 13.9 km, it's from entity border to entity border. That's about 3 km more M5 in FBiH entity after ending of asphalt shown in the video.

They even signed it: https://www.google.de/maps/dir/43.76...20!4m2!4m1!3e0

Of course it's complete nonsense to sign and classify that road as main road. It's from Yugoslavian times and the same as e.g. M18 Foca - border to Montenegro (even signed as E762).
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 05:00 AM   #1910
BL2
I bin a Wiena

It can be signed as Cosmodrome, but the fact is that this road was never finished.

tooljan liked this post
Old August 26th, 2015, 01:54 PM   #1911
Eulanthe

What about the road from Bosanska Krupa to Bosanski Petrovac? It's signed as magistrala, but I saw signs in Bosanska Krupa that much of the road was a "macadam" road as opposed to having asphalt.

Is this another unfinished road?
Old August 26th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #1912
BL2
I bin a Wiena

i have never driven this road. These r the only photos i have found online

So it looks neglected, because nobody lives there anymore, but it looks like normal road.

Last edited by BL2; August 26th, 2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:33 PM   #1913
piotr71

"Linguistic issues" thread has been closed, so let me post this sign here:

M17, Golubinja

I presume, that both names are crossed because majority of population there (Muslims and Croats) use Latin alphabet, am I right?

Autobahn-mann liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:37 PM   #1914
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Quote:
I presume, that both names are crossed because majority of population there (Muslims and Croats) use Latin alphabet, am I right?
You are right.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:58 PM   #1915
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Here's one from me

Sarajevo by cinxxx, on Flickr
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 12:23 AM   #1916
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7662

Quote:
"Linguistic issues" thread has been closed, so let me post this sign here:

M17, Golubinja

Makes you wonder.
In Serbia & Montenegro, we do not have such issues - latin & cyrillic are equally respected.
But when I see things like that, I feel like banning latin script - just like in Russia
CrazySerb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 12:34 AM   #1917
nestvaran
Inveniam viam

Likes (Received): 5090

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySerb View Post
Makes you wonder.
In Serbia & Montenegro, we do not have such issues - latin & cyrillic are equally respected.
But when I see things like that, I feel like banning latin script - just like in Russia
That's because you don't have ethnic tensions inside the country itself, not cause you just love latin alphabet. Spraying cyrilic/latin on traffic signs is a form of emphasising ethnic domination, similarily like dogs pee to mark their territory Unfortunately ofcourse but that's just part of this crazy Balkan pot

Also Serbia and Montenergo ceased to exist many many years ago
nestvaran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 12:46 AM   #1918
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySerb View Post
Makes you wonder.
That's because Montenegro at least tends to use one or the other, with Latin heavily preferred.

It does always surprise me to see places such as Split and Dubrovnik signed in Cyrillic, though. But having said this, I notice that Latin signs tend to be left alone in the RS, and that private businesses also use Latin and Cyrillic interchangeably.

By the way, in Canton 10 - what exactly is with the signs on entry/exit from towns? I noticed that they're double height to accommodate both Latin and Cyrillic, but the Cyrillic is missing, leaving a huge empty gap.
Old September 8th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #1919
piotr71

This one is pretty interesting. We can see 3 different colours of sings on one junction. There is also another interesting stuff here; in this part of the country main destination point is consequently called as it was...sometime in the past. But, as far as I am aware, that name has been shortened in mid nighties to its current, correct form "Brod", which is sometimes used on signs. Is it only matter of negligence and old signs?

And here is a bridge on construction of A1 near Doboj.

SRC_100 liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #1920
Eulanthe

As far as I understand it - the sign above is an example of the Federation refusing to acknowledge the new name. It's the same story with Novi Grad - it used to be called Bosanski Novi until the Republika Srpska changed it. But it could also be that the name change was only made official in 2009, so the sign is probably just old.

There are other examples, such as the Republika Srpska refers to Istočno Novo Sarajevo (East New Sarajevo) while in the FBiH, they call it Lukavica. Even the signs in Sarajevo point towards Lukavica and not Istočno Novo Sarajevo.

There might be examples in the other direction (signs in the RS pointing towards FBiH), but I haven't seen any obvious ones.

Tags
bosnia and herzegovina, highways