daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #41
LdnPlanr
London Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.exe View Post
Lesson in modern slang. "Ghetto" is an adjective used to describe something unfavorable in any fashion to any demographic. In this case, a Dundas/Wellington resident who is forced to commute to Oxford/Richmond to get groceries is ghetto because it is unfavourable to said resident.
If I wanted slang, I'd go to the local high school to have a conversation.

To me, ghetto is referring to the state of the area, or the establishment. ie. Valumart is ghetto = Valumart is not a nice store, or, Oxford/Richmond is ghetto = Oxford/Richmond is not a nice area. I whole-heartedly disagree with both statements... well, maybe the grocery store isn't the GREATEST, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as 'ghetto', or whatever you kids are calling it these days.

Also, I wouldn't classify Dundas/Wellington to Oxford/Richmond as a 'commute'. That's more of a 'stroll'... a nice one, at that!
LdnPlanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #42
will.exe

Likes (Received): 4

Still doesn't get it. Take it with a grain of salt, bro!
Old January 13th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #43
LdnPlanr
London Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.exe View Post
Still doesn't get it. Take it with a grain of salt, bro!
Oh, I get it. I just don't agree. Wrong usage.

I have to watch my salt intake!

Old January 13th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #44
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 846

Then the question begs..........what will be London's next Wortly Village?
Richmond is almost full and has a definate different feel. Very nice but not a real "village" like Wortley.
Maybe I spoke prematurly when I wrote off Old Easd but it still has that EOA feel and people are concerned with the crime and prostitution.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #45
warpus
The Tomek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdnPlanr View Post
There is NOTHING ghetto about the neighbourhood Northeast of Oxford and Richmond. I literally laughed out loud when I read that. You call stately, Victorian homes in behind that store ghetto? Oh my goodness. I'm sure you're using the term loosely, but come on.

And as for the pharmacy downtown, yes, there is a Shopper's Drug Mart on the ground floor of the Market Tower, near the Mcdonalds.
Learn how to read, I said that the Valumart is ghetto, not the surrounding area.
warpus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #46
will.exe

Well it definitely wont be Old East, and it definitely wont be Blackfriars Village either, which is a real shame because it has the infrastructure and a great location. I think it will be a while before we see the emergence of another Wortley Village or Richmond Row. My hope would be that Dundas will become more like Richmond Row and the Galleria will become more like Toronto's Eaton Center or Montreal's Place des Artes. Probably wishful thinking though. But who knows maybe the huge number of new residents downtown will have the desired effect.
Old January 14th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #47
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 846

Are there any stores down in Blackfriars?
It is a really nice residential area but I don't recall any true centre area.
Shame but I don't where else London could go because Wortley is definatly filling up.
I can't see Dundas having a village feel.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #48
will.exe

There used to be stores there and there are still buildings that are ideal for commercial businesses (there is a restaurant that is considered to be one of the best in London). But our City Planners in their infinite wisdom have taken the easy way out and blanketed the area as a residential zone. Virtually all the businesses in the neighborhood had to close 5 years ago because of that. Yet another example of why we need more critical planning.
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #49
LdnPlanr
London Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpus View Post
Learn how to read, I said that the Valumart is ghetto, not the surrounding area.
Don't speak/write to me like that. I was simply attacking you opinion of either the area OR the store as ghetto with my counter-opinion. In no way did I attack your intelligence, so don't use that tone with me.

Also, I can read fine, thank you.

I drove through the blackfriars area just yesterday, actually, and the restaurant that Will refers to is, arguably, the distinct 'centre' of that neighbourhood. There are some incredibly nice homes along the dead-end streets that run off of Wilson Ave., and I would LOVE to get my hands on one of those in the near future if at all possible. What a fabulous area.

*sigh* I wish there was still a minor-league affiliated ball team playing at Labatt Park *sigh*. What an absolute DREAM it would be to live in a neighbourhood where you could literally walk to minor-league professional baseball.

Last edited by LdnPlanr; January 14th, 2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old January 15th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #50
Snark

Last edited by Snark; January 19th, 2008 at 10:09 PM.
Snark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #51
LdnPlanr
London Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Dig?
I dug.
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #52
ldoto
Londoner

Likes (Received): 3

UPDATE!
Auburn Developments's 23-storey, 200-unit apartment building at Ridout Street and Dufferin Avenue -- a project valued at $35 million.
Here's some pics from my new 3.2 mega pixels Sony Ericsson cyber-shot cell phone. Today it is a little clouded over but it turned out not to bad for a camera phone!

It looks like in the pics works are adding more pieces to the crane.

Looking good!
ldoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #53
ldoto
Londoner

Subsidized core parking challenged

Subsidized core parking challenged

Mon, January 15, 2007

By JONATHAN SHER, FREE PRESS CITY HALL REPORTER

City hall's plan to spend millions to build parking garages downtown is being questioned by two of London's leading players in the core.

Leading commercial realtor George Kerhoulas and Bernie Bierbaum, a partner in Old Oak Properties and past president of the London Chamber of Commerce, both say the city has yet to make a persuasive case taxpayers should subsidize new parking garages.

"There is a huge supply of parking downtown," said Bierbaum, whose company owns 750,000 square feet of office space, 175 units of residential space and about 2,000 parking spaces.

It would be cheaper, easier on the roads and more environmentally friendly to create satellite lots from which people can carpool or take buses, Bierbaum said.

City staff contend more parking will drive down commercial vacancies by making downtown more attractive to commercial tenants.

But Kerhoulas, whose career in real estate spans decades, believes high vacancies have been endemic to downtown for reasons unrelated to parking.

"I don't think the office leasing momentum is being held back by a lack of parking," said Kerhoulas, of Cushman and Wakefield LePage.

"I don't see (the) evidence."

Nor was there evidence of a link found by the consultant, whose study led city staff to recommend $2.5 million a year be set aside for parking.

The consultant, Marshall Macklin Monaghan, examined downtown and found no link between the availability of parking and vacancy rates.

"There is no specific evidence showing that the shortage of parking in some areas contributes to the higher commercial space vacancy," the consultant wrote. "The construction of a new parking facility may not be able to reduce the commercial space vacancy."

The consultant's findings may surprise those on city council who received a draft budget for 2007 in which city staff wrote Marshall Macklin Monaghan concluded more parking would reduce office vacancy.

The budget claim troubled councillors David Winninger and Joni Baechler, both opponents of a new garage.

"I'm concerned there be accuracy in our budget making. (The statement about the study and the study) seem to be at odds," Winninger said.

The belief a parking garage would reduce office vacancy was a driving force behind a failed venture in Windsor that cost taxpayers $3 million.

"It's been an unqualified disaster," said London realtor Peter Whatmore, vice-president of CB Richard Ellis .

Asked why such a project would fail in Windsor but succeed here, London's finance head Vic Cote wrote, "I am not aware of the specific issues relating to Windsor."

His response didn't sit well with Baechler.

"I think members of council and staff would make themselves aware," she said.

Whatmore believes more parking won't put a big dent in the office vacancy rate, but he supports a new garage, to help retail in particular.

The key question, Whatmore believes, is timing.

If the city waits too long, it may forego new investment downtown.

But if it goes ahead now, it will pay a premium. That's because there's so much parking now, rates are too low to sustain a new garage -- the consultant estimated rates would need to be 2 1/2 times higher, a gap taxpayers would have to cover.

The yearly gap would exceed $500,000, the consultant found.

If the city waits until surface spaces are lost to development, there will be higher prices and a smaller gap for taxpayers to fill.

A divided city council voted last month to seek a partner to build a parking garage at a Queens Avenue site, the first step in a plan that could cost taxpayers as much as $5 million.

Deputy Mayor Tom Gosnell later said if the venture succeeds, the city should spend as much as $20 million to build more garages.

Council will debate in budget talks this month a strategy it approved last year in principle:

- Give up to $10,000 per parking stall to developers and spend $2.5 million a year on core parking.

- Grant a 10-year tax exemption for owners of garages open to the public on weekends and evenings and a 20-year exemption for garages open to the public at all times.

- Shift development charges from developers of parking garages to taxpayers.
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #54
will.exe

More reasons why London will never join the likes of better cities its size.

I walk by the Harriston every day on my way home from work. That crane is BIG. And from the same spot you can see the Renaissance crane (also big) and the site at Talbot and Kent. Has a nice booming feel to it!
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #55
ldoto
Londoner

London airport business booms

London airport business booms

Thu, January 18, 2007

Passenger traffic at London International Airport has grown 38 per cent over the last 2 years.

By NORMAN DE BONO, FREE PRESS BUSINESS REPORTER

Traffic is up at London International Airport, setting a record for the number of people boarding flights, the airport announced yesterday.

And traffic may increase even more this year because WestJet Airlines announced it is doubling its daily flights from London to Calgary.

"This is fantastic news, it demonstrates to us that our developing the airport as a hub has paid huge dividends," said Steve Baker, the airport's president and chief executive.

Passenger traffic increased 12 per cent last year over 2005 and has grown 38 per cent over the last two years, as 415,000 people boarded planes from the airport, making it one of the fastest growing airports in the country, said Baker.

"Most airports have six to nine per cent growth, we are leading and I'm very pleased."

Much of that growth has been from outside London. Fifty-five per cent of passengers are from outside the city, drawing from Windsor to Kitchener-Waterloo.

"We are linking Southwestern Ontario to the world," said Baker.

WestJet said yesterday it will add a second daily flight to Calgary, in addition to its existing daily flight to Winnipeg.

"Southwestern Ontario is a very good market for us, we are very pleased with London, couldn't be happier really," said Mark Brown, WestJet's director of airports for Eastern Canada.

While the airline declined to reveal exact passenger load numbers, they are near capacity on all flights out of London.

"We are finding people want to avoid Pearson (in Toronto) and we are seeing traffic up at more medium-sized markets," added Brown.

The additional flights and passenger growth is good news for the London business community because more direct flights out of the city is something business is always looking for, said John Kime, chief executive of the London Economic Development Corp.

"If you don't have an airport that connects nationally and internationally, people do not look at your community," he said. "We are very fortunate to have it here. When we talk to business people invariably they ask where are the flights to and from at the airport."

The airport's investment in a $20-million renovation has helped attract airlines and customers.

"We had a strategic plan which had us listening to customers. They wanted new facilities, fast service, direct flights, reasonable fares and we have been able to go out and attract those," he said.

Baker wants to continue growth by adding flights to the U.S. and Maritimes.

"What has been working for us is we have seen a continuous enhancement of service. There are still lots of targets and opportunities," he said.
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #56
Jaketown
Making it work

That sounds very good for the local economy. More people from the region are using our airport that actual Londoners. Not that long ago, the only places you could fly to outta London were Toronto and Detroit. I hope they make more direct flights to other western cities like Vancouver or Edmonton.
Jaketown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #57
LdnPlanr
London Enthusiast

Does anyone know what is being built on the North side of Fanshawe Park Road W., just East of the intersection of Fanshawe-Wonderland?

There is a large crane, and I can't tell whether it is some sort of apartment building (unlikely, since we'd have heard of it I'm sure) or some other sort of infrastructure improvement... I'm stumped.
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #58
ldoto
Londoner

I thought the same way too! It must be some type of water system or city infrastructure.
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #59
will.exe

I havent been up that way in a long time. If you know the adress, I'm sure the city website would tell you.
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #60
K85
Great Ceasar's ghost!

Likes (Received): 1

http://london.ca/_private/Maps/Maps.htm
K85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote