daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #121
LdnPlanr
London Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 0

The Harriston

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get my hands on the design concepts/specifications for The Harriston apartment tower? I seem to recall the design was available from the City of London, but I wanted to check here first if anyone had the document/info on hand.

Let me know ASAP! Thanks.
LdnPlanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #122
Snark

Last edited by Snark; January 19th, 2008 at 10:17 PM.
Snark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:33 AM   #123
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.exe View Post
I hate to say it but it looks like we're living in Soviet Russia...
Those do look a look like Russian communist buildings, or something like that.

That Harriston tower looks nice, where was that to be built? Downtown? Is it still gonna be built?
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:46 AM   #124
will.exe

Likes (Received): 4

Yes its right across from Eldon House and frankly I'm disappointed with it, its a little cheesy IMO, but I'm sure it'll look fine and add some density to the skyline. The Renaissance on the other hand is a very nice project.
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:50 PM   #125
Jaybird

Two plants, 600 jobs

Thu, March 1, 2007

Two auto parts suppliers are to announce their plans for London within four months.

By NORMAN DE BONO, SUN MEDIA

KITCHENER -- London is poised to land two new auto parts plants, creating up to 600 jobs, sources say.

A Southwestern Ontario commercial real estate conference, held by CB Richard Ellis, heard yesterday that major industrial projects are on the horizon for London as the manufacturing sector booms.

"We will see some additional plants coming to London soon," said Peter Whatmore, senior vice- president in London of CB Richard Ellis Ltd.

Whatmore declined comment on details of the development. But sources in the manufacturing sector confirmed two parts suppliers, more than 100,000 square feet each, will be announced for the privately-owned Gateway Industrial Park within four months.

The new investments would supply parts to other plants that make components for auto assembly plants.

"There have been layoffs and closings in manufacturing, but there have also been new contracts, new players and overall there is a balance," Whatmore said.

"London is steady as she goes."

John Kime, president and chief executive of the London Economic Development Corp., declined comment on reports of the new industries.

Still, he agreed London's industrial land remains in demand as the city's manufacturing sector continues to defy a national downward trend.

"It has been surprisingly resilient despite everything that is going on," said Kime.

The land availability rate in London's industrial sector is stable at 6.3 per cent.

Statistics Canada reported London gained 3,500 manufacturing jobs during the quarter that ended in January, while Ontario lost 54,500 manufacturing jobs over the same period and the rest of Canada 42,000.

London's new automotive parts assembly plants will join a 520,000-square-foot project by O.R.E. Development Corp. at Highway 401 and Highbury Avenue, a centre for trucking and shipping, said Whatmore.

"There has been a softening of the economy overall, but the industrial sector remains strong here and we think it will for the next few years," said Whatmore.

Don Drummond, chief economist with TD Financial Group, wasn't surprised by news of industrial growth in London and area.

The city is enjoying a boost from Woodstock's new Toyota assembly plant, he said, and has a diversified economy with manufacturing, financial services, health care, education and services, including technology businesses, rounding out the employment scene.

Still, he cautioned London remains challenged by a cooling U.S. economy and competition from emerging markets in Asia in all sectors -- manufacturing, technology and even life sciences.

"London will get a pickup in manufacturing, but their woes are not behind them," he warned. "The emerging economies are penetrating virtually every sector right now."

The Kitchener conference heard industrial land values in London and Woodstock are held "artificially low" because the cities are the developers.

London posted the cheapest industrial land in Southwestern Ontario, lower than Woodstock and Windsor, at less than $100,000 an acre, compared to nearly $300,000 in Waterloo.

London is also the cheapest place to build, with land and construction costs totalling less than $5 a square foot, compared to more than $10 in Waterloo.

The conference also heard of commercial and industrial land parcels attracting more than 10 purchase bids and vacant land hard to come by throughout Southwestern Ontario.

From Windsor to Waterloo investment in industrial land grew by 14.7 per cent from 2005 to 2006, from $150 million to $176 million, CB Richard Ellis reported.
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:20 PM   #126
ldoto
Londoner

Likes (Received): 3

You bet me to it!
ldoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:44 PM   #127
ldoto
Londoner

Interest to the London forumers

Here's some thing that I found on a forum from GreatTallNorth2 in the London Proposals and Construction Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2

Thought this might be of interest to the London forumers...

I was talking with a client of mine who rents space in the Wright Lithography building downtown (Wellington near Dundas). She told me that Farhi just bought the building and has told his clients that they have two years to find new space. The building is right beside the old library. Does this mean that he is going to knock down the building for parking for his library tower or would he build a tower where the Wright building is?

Also, if you go to Farhi's website (fhc.ca), you can see that this guy owns a lot of property downtown...including that big chunk of land just north of the courthouse.

I don't think that we have seen the last of the towers downtown. Farhi will build something nice in the next couple of years and Drewlo looks like they will build something too. Add to this all the buildings that have been built, and we could say that London is definately in a residential tower boom. Once again, I don't know of any other Canadian city of similar size that is building anywhere near what London is. Even Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec City which are quite a bit bigger aren't building many towers downtown.
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:04 PM   #128
ldoto
Londoner

Job Boom at London's Diamond Aircraft

More good news for london! But I hered that Workers at the London Siemens VDO plant are wondering about its future following Friday's company announcement it was moving most of the production from its Chatham plant to Mexico.

Job Boom at London's Diamond Aircraft

London's aerospace industry may be small, but it is about to undergo massive expansion.
Diamond Aircraft is preparing to hire up to 500 new workers to meet the demand for it's new D-Jet.

The new jet is priced at $1.3M, which is low enough to attract a lot of interest from people who otherwise couldn't afford a jet.

The company is already hiring, and with a $10,000,000 loan from the province, the boom could spin off across the entire Forest City economy.

And Diamond is also eager to obtain a federal government loan.

Some of the government money will be used to conduct a search for workers with exactly the skills Diamond will need.

With both loans in place, D-Jet production could be at full throttle by next summer.
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:17 PM   #129
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 846

Great news for London!

Being attractive both in business and lifestlye has big economic benefits.
It is also great to see London to continue to diversify.
The bad thing about going thru huge booms is that the bust will eventually follow. That has never been the case for London.

That said, if Farhi is allowed to rip down the old Wright Lithography building I'll be furious and the mayor should be shot.

BTW any COLOUR pictures of the Renaisance. I hope its not going to be another concrete tower.

Also I like the Harriston. Hamilton has always had a better skyline than London but London really is catching up.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:28 AM   #130
will.exe

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
KITCHENER -- London is poised to land two new auto parts plants, creating up to 600 jobs, sources say.
Why does the location say Kitchener?
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:41 AM   #131
Snark

Last edited by Snark; January 19th, 2008 at 10:17 PM.
Snark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM   #132
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 22

So I am left to assume that the awesome condo tower planned for the old library building isn't going to happen anymore... is this true?

It was really good... art deco touches yet glassy. Really looked like something fit for Toronto, and it would be a great addition to London.
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 06:59 PM   #133
ldoto
Londoner

$4 Million In Sport And Recreation Facilities

Invests $4 Million In London Sport And Recreation Facilities

Key Element In Strategy To Further Boost Jobs And Economic Renewal

LONDON — The McGuinty government is providing $4 million to the city of London to upgrade the North London Optimist Community Centre and the Thames Pool as part of the province’s $190 million economic stimulus plan, Health Promotion Minister Jim Watson announced today.

“Active living is crucial to good health,” said Watson. “Improving these facilities will encourage the people of this community to participate in physical activities and achieve a better quality of life.”

Watson was joined by Training, Colleges and Universities Minister and MPP for London West Christopher Bentley, Khalil Ramal MPP for London-Fanshawe, and Deb Matthews MPP for London North Centre.

“To encourage good health, communities must provide sport and recreation infrastructure to meet the needs of their residents,” said Bentley. “Upgrading these facilities will help us do just that.”

“I’m certain our updated facilities will encourage many people and families throughout the community to stay active and keep fit,” said Ramal. “In particular, I hope residents of this community will enjoy all that these sport and recreation facilities have to offer.”

“Through our Parks and Recreation Master Plan, we continue to invest in a variety of community facilities to keep our citizens healthy and happy,” says London Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best. “And, this provincial funding for two key projects means we are now better equipped to answer the social and recreational needs of all Londoners.”

The government’s $190 million economic stimulus package is a key component of the plan to foster a stronger workforce and a stronger economy.

Announced in the 2006 Fall Economic Outlook and Fiscal Review, the stimulus package aims to boost jobs and growth through a focus on four key areas:

Focused training and job services to help job-threatened and laid-off workers find new jobs
Fast-tracking infrastructure projects to generate immediate economic activity and job creation
Encouraging Ontario tourism to boost economic activity and tourism-related jobs
Strengthening interprovincial trade to match industrial needs in Alberta with Ontario’s industrial capacity.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:31 AM   #134
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 22

ldoto can you ever attempt to answer to my queries instead of just posting a news article over it?
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:20 AM   #135
ldoto
Londoner

All I know is Farhi said that he had big plans for this site do to the historic library. In my opinion one day we will see a Grand tower!

btw.
I was on Farhi's website and I found this pretty interesting. It is a Video about the land and the properties that he owns. It also talked about his heart and dedication to the city of London, Windsor. It was shown on Canada Now CBC News.

http://www.fhc.ca/default2.asp
Old March 4th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #136
Jaybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldoto View Post
You bet me to it!
Yup, even though I hang around the Northeast and Midwest forums more often, I still read the London Free Press to see what's going on over there.
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #137
ldoto
Londoner

Cities seek fed transit funding

Cities seek fed transit funding

Tue, March 6, 2007

By JOE BELANGER, SUN MEDIA AND NEWS SERVICES

London would be in line for about $20 million a year in funding if the federal government backs a proposed national transit strategy unveiled yesterday.

Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best said the feds must provide $2 billion a year in funding for the Federation of Canadian Municipalities' strategy to succeed.

"Paying for public transit is a major issue for all municipalities, and property tax alone is not sufficient to support this important service," DeCicco-Best said at a London news conference.

"Clearly, municipal governments need help to deliver the transit services on which our nation's economy, quality of life and environmental sustainability rely."

DeCicco-Best joined mayors across the country in calling on the federal government to back the federation's national public transportation strategy.

The strategy includes: - $2 billion annual federal funding for capital and operating expenses to maintain and expand systems.

- Tax incentives to increase ridership.

- Research to look at new systems and policies.

- Benchmarks to measure success in public transit.

- Integrated land use and transportation planning.

The mayors say the strategy is needed to maintain economic competitiveness and reduce greenhouse gas emissions from vehicles.

Yesterday, there was reason for optimism after the federal government agreed to provide $1 billion for transit in the Toronto area that will be matched by the province and municipalities.

Local officials say conditions may be right for the federal government to back a national transit strategy when it unveils its budget March 19.

Such a move would go a long way to appease cash-strapped municipalities and environmentalists, putting a green stamp on the budget with a possible election this spring.

"There's no doubt this is very timely," DeCicco-Best said.

"But there's no question buses are a solution to some of our environmental problems and when you look at soaring gas prices . . . that's all the more reason to develop transit systems to get more people on the buses."

London Transit recently unveiled a long-term strategy that calls for spending of $105 million over the next nine years to whisk passengers across the city faster.

The strategy includes spending $68 million on 102 replacement buses and 32 additional buses and creating a rapid transit system with pickups on some routes every five minutes during rush hour.

The mayors say that one city bus can carry as many passengers as 50 vehicles and pollutes 10 times less.

"The environmental impact of public transit is extremely important," said Toronto Mayor David Miller.

"And the truth is that Canada's major cities cannot expand their systems. In fact, we don't have the money to keep them going."
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #138
K85
Great Ceasar's ghost!

Likes (Received): 1

That's good to hear we got some decent amount, though I think we should have been marked at least $30 million for at least the first 2 years, maybe 3. We really need to expand some routes and get on that satellite station.

The 14 is f-in' horrible! I've been using that route for college for the past 3 years, and at LEAST once a week, I had to run like a madman to catch it before they left, and when I missed it, a 30 min. wait.........
K85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #139
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

haha..good old LTC (which I use almost every day to get to Fanshawe) Thankfully I usually get it pretty good. I live way the heck out on the west end of town, but a 6-7 minute walk gets me right to the 17 Oxford West bus, and voila, I'm at Fanshawe right down Oxford St., and its pretty empty usually when I get on too. Or i can take the 19 Oakridge downtown to the 4 Oxford East, but that is more of a risk in terms of waiting/catching the bus and also ending up on a crowded bus and having to stand (which I hate doing)

I don't mind the bus though, LTC is very good for being on schedule, though some intersections are brutal in timing a transfer (Oxford/Adelaide, and Oxford/Highbury come to mind)
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #140
worldwide

K85, if it makes it any better i have the exact same problem here in vancouver..

and to add to that my prof loves to go late