daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > City Talk

City Talk Local talk, activities, websites, etc...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #141
Suburban Knight
ßANNED

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Maybe but over many decades it has excelled and it's still a great night out.I want to know what mark Leeds has made in the past fifty years?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_i...clubbing_scene

Just because you haven't heard of it personally, doesn't mean there hasn't been a scene - music is rather subjective, after all.
Dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains
And there's no end in sight
I need the darkness, someone please cut the lights
Suburban Knight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 20th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #142
Aaronj09
Not a Registered User

Likes (Received): 1328

Clubbing Capital of the UK.. probably St Ives?
Aaronj09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #143
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 2145

It seems to me that you're all talking about clubs that play some rehashed version of dance music,well I did all of that in the late 80's early 90's when it was a proper underground scene,before the names of dj's started to change to the likes of Sebastian (Seb),Julian (Jules) and Quentin (yes that's fat boy slims real name,not Norman). I'd prefer to go to a club that has a load of young lads in bands,unheard of bands that go National,a true underground scene where these young upstarts build a career in music,it goes in cycles but happens a lot here.Dance music had its day back in 1993,back when many of you were shitting yellow,I'm seeing nothing new here.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #144
albionfagan

Likes (Received): 582

No offence Paul but you sound like an old man saying the cliché 'nothing new today, all just rehashed, was better in my day'.

Music is constantly evolving and finding new ways to go, even if it isn't it doesn't make it any less worthy or the 'scenes' any less exciting.
albionfagan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #145
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionfagan View Post
No offence Paul but you sound like an old man saying the cliché 'nothing new today, all just rehashed, was better in my day'.

Music is constantly evolving and finding new ways to go, even if it isn't it doesn't make it any less worthy or the 'scenes' any less exciting.
No offence taken coz I suppose I am and it was way better,the Government even felt threatened by it back then and that's why they shut them down as quick as they started and broke up conveys of cars in search of the next party,they needed people to fight their wars and we were having too much of a good time to care.Even tablets are a shadow of their former self,people could go all night on half an E them days.They even found an excuse to stop our all nighters on Ainsdale Beach and there's nobody for miles to disturb.Footie was way better,following your team was a much better than it is today,everything has deteriorated.Time for the youth of today to move on,dance music is sounding pretty much the same to me today as it was back then.
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #146
Medi73#!

Likes (Received): 935

Twenty years ago today!

Sergeant Pepper,,,,

Its called your youth. The football was better though because LFC won titles.
Medi73#! está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #147
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 281

Godskitchen in Birmingham March 2012

http://www.godskitchen.com/#/content.../location_id/3

Awesome Lineup
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #148
tomo90

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
No offence taken coz I suppose I am and it was way better,the Government even felt threatened by it back then and that's why they shut them down as quick as they started and broke up conveys of cars in search of the next party,they needed people to fight their wars and we were having too much of a good time to care.Even tablets are a shadow of their former self,people could go all night on half an E them days.They even found an excuse to stop our all nighters on Ainsdale Beach and there's nobody for miles to disturb.Footie was way better,following your team was a much better than it is today,everything has deteriorated.Time for the youth of today to move on,dance music is sounding pretty much the same to me today as it was back then.
Did you go the Quadrant Park?
tomo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:17 PM   #149
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo90 View Post
Did you go the Quadrant Park?
Yes all the time.

The all night was better than this though,there used to be up to 10,000 people in there.
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:14 PM   #150
tomo90

Likes (Received): 187

My mum has the cds, they are really good!
tomo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #151
Brum X
Brum X

Is Digbeth, Birmingham the new clubbing capital of Britain

Katie Grange investigates the new music ventures that are putting Digbeth, Birmingham on the map.

Date published: 4th May 2012

Digbeth, a district on the outskirts of Birmingham, was once the heart of the industrial Midlands - boasting a battery, tea, and even a custard factory.

Nowadays these works have been swapped for high-spec retail premises and entertainment ventures, marking the redevelopment and regeneration of the area.

LAB11 and Gibb Street Warehouse are just two examples of these redevelopments. Both brand-new underground clubs launched on the 31st March with an aim of delivering quality dance music to the astute clubbers of the Midlands.

lab11

LAB11 and its flagship night TRMNL is a subversive house and techno delight, stripping everything back to basics from the exposed brickwork, unfinished wood and raw edges.

Set in a derelict railway arch owned by Network Rail, LAB11 has been transformed into a hip dance music venue. Boasting a SMART lighting system and custom-built Funktion One soundsystem, headline acts to have already played include Radio Slave, Carl Craig and Barem, with many more headliners billed each Saturday.

gibb street warehouse

Gibb Street Warehouse has taken over the old Space2 venue at the Custard Factory and has a raw industrial feel that brings to mind the heady acid house days. Curated by the masterminds of one of London’s most successful clubs, Fabric, Gibb St has already hosted a number of big-name promoters and artists such as Defected, Renaissance with Sasha, and Arkitekt with M.A.N.D.Y, proving its versatility as an accommodating dance venue.

the arena

(Pictured). In addition to indoor warehouse venues, Digbeth has its own outdoor dancefloor in the form of The Arena, a 4000-capacity venue brought to us by the team behind the renowned Rainbow spot. Kicking off on the 7th of April with Circoloco in the Arena, a mammoth all-dayer accommodating the crème de la crème of Ibiza stars including Dan Ghenacia and Jamie Jones, it has already impressed the notoriously fickle house music crowd. Read our review of Circoloco in The Arena.

The Arena has been designed like an auditorium with a natural stage bordered by viaducts and complete with a multi-tiered viewing platform, cementing the coliseum feel and charm. With an aim to host six large-scale shows throughout the year - covering genres from house to techno through to drum & bass and old-school - revellers can look forward to collaborations from key-players such as Cocoon and Space Ibiza.

we are industry

Then there is We Are Industry, another outdoor concept débuting on the Jubilee weekend with two very special live shows from Booka Shade and Carl Craig, as well as sets from Dubfire, DJ T, and Huxley. Located just off Floodgate St, the details of this venue are still top secret, but if the standard is as good as the acts they have booked then it looks to be an exciting arrival. Find out more about We Are Industry.

hmv institute and club air

Finally, the loyal HMV Institute and Club Air have been staples on the Digbeth skyline for some years now, with the former offering a combination of live gigs (Alabama Shakes are due to play soon) and student nights, whilst the latter continues to stay faithful to the trance and drum & bass scenes that made it famous with nights from the likes of Armin Van Buuren.

With so much springing to life in the little industrial area of Digbeth, a new lease of vivacity has been injected into the once stale clubbing scene of Birmingham. The closure of the likes of The Custard Factory and Q Club had left a longing hole in the electronic nightlife, resulting in clubbers travelling further afield to the likes of Manchester and London for their fix. Now the future looks bright, with the England’s second city finally gaining a music landscape deserving of its size and status.

Which brings one to ask the million dollar question… is Digbeth set to become the new clubbing capital of England? Time only knows.
http://www.skiddle.com/news/all/Is-D...Britain/12450/
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #152
Brum X
Brum X

Old May 9th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #153
Brum X
Brum X

Birmingham Pride 2012

Old May 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #154
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 79

Say what you like but for me its Sheffield. I've been out in London and Manchester aswell, both have cool places but its all taxi here taxi there. Sheffield has all the clubs and bars grouped together, and there is a pretty wide choice and they are never as stupidly busy with massive ques outside like in other places!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:49 AM   #155
Skychaser 2005

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Say what you like but for me its Sheffield. I've been out in London and Manchester aswell, both have cool places but its all taxi here taxi there. Sheffield has all the clubs and bars grouped together, and there is a pretty wide choice and they are never as stupidly busy with massive ques outside like in other places!
Obviously never been to Leeds then? Leeds has more bars and far more clubs than Sheffield and they are also easy to get around in a relatively compact area
Skychaser 2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #156
wiggleyleeds
wiggledypiggleypuddinghed

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skychaser 2005 View Post
Obviously never been to Leeds then? Leeds has more bars and far more clubs than Sheffield and they are also easy to get around in a relatively compact area
I wouldnt say far more than sheffield to be fair

Leeds has 31 nightclub venues spanning a diameter of 1.2 miles

sheffield has 17 nightclub venues spanning a diameter of 1.6 miles

Although i'd agree sheffield has less venues, stretched over a larger more sparse area
wiggleyleeds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #157
Skychaser 2005

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggleyleeds View Post
I wouldnt say far more than sheffield to be fair

Leeds has 31 nightclub venues spanning a diameter of 1.2 miles

sheffield has 17 nightclub venues spanning a diameter of 1.6 miles

Although i'd agree sheffield has less venues, stretched over a larger more sparse area
31.....17? as I said Leeds has far more!!
Skychaser 2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote