daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #61
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

This pic:

at the right lane at the bottom.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #62
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ Now I see it. Is the rest also like that? I'm asking b/c of the on-ramp and I can't see what's after that, it's too far away.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #63
sasuke41
sasuke

Likes (Received): 0

sasuke41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #64
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1331

looks kool!
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #65
diz
Unregistered User

Opening soon!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrera_marquez View Post
SCTEx photos from Tsikot forums. Please don't sue, tanggalin niyo na lang kung mala-ZTE-NBN deal ang ginawa ko.

Photos courtesy of boybi from Tsikot.com forums:
http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1023131
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #66
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Why are signs only in English?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #67
Vegas Visitor
Is not a Vegas Tourist

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Why are signs only in English?
Coz most Filipinos are english literate, so its not really big deal if we dont have local language for signs! I would prefer english being used as our local lanuage might sound weird
Vegas Visitor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #68
dattebayo
User lang

Likes (Received): 4

I also find it weird if they put signs in filipino.
dattebayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #69
mwg12a

Likes (Received): 663

You guys should just state that the filipinos are just accustomed with road signs in english, it has been there for as long as we can remember. I don't think if the road signs are also written in any Philippine languages( varies in different regions) would be so weird, because there are signs here and there also that was written in tagalog and such, like "Welcome" sign being "Mabuhay" or some "no crossing" sign written as "walang tawiran" along with the english signs.
mwg12a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #70
mwg12a

Likes (Received): 663

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolato1000 View Post

some philippine highways do have height difference between the lanes and the shoulder. the pic above is a perfect example, notice that within the lanes are asphalt covered, you drive a foot or two through those lanes then you would feel a light thud (an elevation difference of around an inch), means that you're driving on the shoulder (which are concrete or sometimes gravels). it tells you one thing: GET BACK WITHIN THE LANE.
I just wish they have a wider space on shoulders for the mere fact that it is needed on emergency situations such as cars breaking down or having flat tire. They use to have shoulders on SLEX but some of the motorist get on it as if it's part of the lane or they use it as passing lane which can pose as danger to other motorists. With the new and recent widennning of SLEX, I hope they will not just disregard keeping these shoulder just for safety purposes.
mwg12a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #71
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

It's weird. In alost all cases the flyover is the one to come first not the road surface
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #72
dattebayo
User lang

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg12a View Post
You guys should just state that the filipinos are just accustomed with road signs in english, it has been there for as long as we can remember. I don't think if the road signs are also written in any Philippine languages( varies in different regions) would be so weird, because there are signs here and there also that was written in tagalog and such, like "Welcome" sign being "Mabuhay" or some "no crossing" sign written as "walang tawiran" along with the english signs.
oh yah, I forgot most of the signs in EDSA and some of the provinces are written in filipino
dattebayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #73
diz
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
It's weird. In alost all cases the flyover is the one to come first not the road surface
Definately not the case here! Well, at least they proved it's possible.

tada!
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #74
diz
Unregistered User

PGMA inaugurates Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway
http://www.news.ops.gov.ph/today.htm#PGMA%20inaugurates

CLARK FREEPORT ZONE, Pampanga – As a vital component of her super regions strategy aimed at developing the country's provinces into new centers of tourism, business and industry, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo inaugurated today the newly-constructed Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway (SCTEX) designed to serve as an economic backbone for growth areas north of Manila.

The President took an inaugural drive-through a portion of the SCTEX signalling the soft opening of the 94-kilometer highway that will provide better and faster access to the Subic Bay Freeport in Zambales and the Clark Freeport Zone in Pampanga.

This soft opening, according to the President, covers the Subic-Clark portion of the SCTEX, which is some 50 kilometers long.

Built at a cost of P27 billion, of which P23.06 billion was funded through a loan grant from the Japan Bank of International Cooperation (JBIC) and the rest shouldered by the Bases Conversion Development Authority (BCDA), the SCTEX, which is a major component of the Luzon Urban Beltway, serves as a critical link to vital business corridors in Central Luzon such as the Subic seaport in Zambales and the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport (DMIA) in Pampanga.

Other economic zones within Subic, Clark and Tarlac areas are also expected to benefit greatly with the opening of the SCTEX.

With its completion, SCTEX will now open up more job opportunities for residents in these areas as more industries and facilities are expected to put up businesses such as transportation, communications, banking and food services as well as labor-intensive and service-oriented industries.

To the business locators, the SCTEX enhances growth in commerce and industry in the region, spurs more opportunities for the import-export industries and attracts more players in medical tourism and call center services.

More importantly, the SCTEX ensures faster delivery of goods and services by cutting travel time to and from the centers of business because of excellent road condition. The previous one-and-a-half hours travel time from Clark to Subic now only takes 40 minutes, while the usual one hour needed to travel from Clark to Tarlac has been reduced to just 25 minutes.

In time for the Lenten break, the SCTEX will have a "Libreng Biyahe sa SCTEX Program" with the theme "Handog ni Pangulong Gloria, Libreng Biyahe sa SCTEX" for light vehicles from 1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. after today’s soft opening and from 5:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. from March 19 to 24.

The President enjoined all Filipinos to take advantage of the free toll at the SCTEX which, she said, will greatly ease travel expenses for family travelling up north.

"Biyahe na!," the President exclaimed after opening the toll-free expressway.
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #75
flymordecai

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Visitor View Post
Coz most Filipinos are english literate, so its not really big deal if we dont have local language for signs! I would prefer english being used as our local lanuage might sound weird
Sigh, comments like this saddens me. When there's no confidence in our own national language, there's no confidence in the culture. It might sound weird? To you or the foreigner? To the foreigner, they wouldn't care if it sounds weird or not...they are in a foreign country, they will accept it. To you? Why would it sound weird if it's your own language? Or do you mostly care if it sounds "weird" to foreigners?

Ok, sorry for the off-topic post but seeing posts like this gets to me.

But on topic, it DOES bother me that there's no signage in Tagalog. It's like this in all highways in the Philippines. Perhaps this is one of the reasons for the Filipino's constant act of ignoring traffic/driving laws: because the signs are in English. You might say that's a bit of a stretch, but words and language play a big role subconsciously. But anyway, I don't want to go on a tangent about the wrongs in the Philippine society.
flymordecai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #76
diz
Unregistered User

Inauguration of SCTEx by forumer ericlucky290

GMA during the inauguration

Above Clark Spur road overlooking McArthur Hi-Way at Mabiga, Mabalacat

Magiba Exit which is the exit at Clark Logistics interchange that leads to NLEX

World Class Service

SCTEx overlooking Clark Frienship Gate

SCTEx along with MA Roxas Hi-Way of Clark

Last edited by diz; March 20th, 2008 at 09:28 AM.
diz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #77
Skyprince
Asian boi

Very nice highway. Is that the one connecting Manila and Clarke Airport ?
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #78
hetfield85
Metallica Band Member

Likes (Received): 25

SCTEx is totally a world class highway. I love to see the smooth, straight and long tarmac
hetfield85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #79
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

It looks very good. Though i still can't understand the height difference between the shoulder and driving lanes. It can be dangerous, when someone accidently got half onto the shoulder at high speed, and tries to get back on the driving lanes, your car can get out of control, when suddenly bumping into the height difference at high speed. I have never seen this anywhere else.

What is the speed limit in the Philippines?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:24 AM   #80
hetfield85
Metallica Band Member

Likes (Received): 25

Philippine expressway speed limits are based on the US Interstate Highway standards. The general speed limit in the Philippines is 60 km/h as its minimum and 100 km/h is maximum, although 120 km/h is still allowed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limit#Philippines
hetfield85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote