daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #301
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

We need pics of Lithuanian motorways!
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #302
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I've got two pix of Lithuanian motorways; I believe the color of the motorway signs there won't be a question anymore.

http://tinkle.************/showthread.php?t=378
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #303
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

I am wondering, i saw blue and green motorway signs in Austria, on the A10 motorway Salzburg Villach there are green signs, but on the motorway Salzburg Vieanna there are blue sings and i don´t get this, why is this? I find green motorway signs somehow better.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #304
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
I am wondering, i saw blue and green motorway signs in Austria, on the A10 motorway Salzburg Villach there are green signs, but on the motorway Salzburg Vieanna there are blue sings and i don´t get this, why is this? I find green motorway signs somehow better.
(First post! Yay!)
Are you sure? Because the austrian motorway signs are pretty much standardized... Blue is used for directions reached via motorways and, to my knowledge, green is only for rest areas (Raststationen).

On the other hand, Hungary is also supposed to be using blue direction signs on motorways. But on the M5 section Budapest - Kiskunfelegyháza they are green like on national roads! This changes after Kiskunfelegyháza towards the serbian border on the newly-built section... I always wondered why they didn't go with the standard...
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #305
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

I have come into this thread from a separate forum, where Chris Hillcoat and I are both members. Just to clarify a few points:

* I believe it is necessary to make a distinction between countries which differentiate road class by sign background color, and countries which don't. Europe falls into the former category while North America falls into the latter.

* It is not correct to say that Mexican traffic signing standards aren't online. The Mexican Manual de dispositivos para el control del tránsito has been online for some time. And, in fact, there is a profusion of standards since SEDESOL has a bilingual signing manual which is apparently intended for use in urban areas near the US border, and SCT also has an official standard (in the NOM series but gazetted in the Diario Oficial de la República) dealing with urban signing.

* It has been noted that Chile differentiates road class by sign background color. Among Latin American countries I believe it is unusual in this respect, largely because most if not all Latin American countries have signed up to a Manual interamericano de dispositivos para el control del tránsito, which channels the signing idiom spelled out in the American MUTCD. However, I don't think Chile is unique in this regard. I also think Uruguay uses a blue rather than green background for guide signs. (The position should be relatively easy to check in the traffic signing manual which is on Uruguay's DGV's website.)

* The posters who noted that purple guide signs are used in Houston and elsewhere in the US are correct. Purple is becoming popular for guide signs on toll roads because it is associated with the EZ-PASS consortium, which is the largest grouping of turnpike agencies with interoperable electronic toll collection. However, the use of purple on guide signs is still considered experimental. It should also be noted that the US MUTCD now allows the use of white background on guide signs pertaining to high-occupancy vehicle lanes which are not in 24-hour operation. (24-hour HOV lanes still need to use green-background guide signs.)
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #306
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Peru - Blue

It is not quite that simple. Peru's Manual de Dispositivos de Control del Tránsito Automotor para Calles y Carreteras suggests that Peru follows the North American model of using green background for all guide signs. However, this publication suggests that green is used only for important roads in rural areas, with blue being used for principal highways in urban areas while black on white is used for less important roads everywhere.

Last edited by J N Winkler; May 20th, 2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Added information
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #307
Penhorn
alps @ SSP

Likes (Received): 5

Without having read through all 16 pages in the thread but only seeing the map that identifies Canada as green, I would like to comment that both colours are used in Nova Scotia, Canada. New signs on provincial roads (100-series and the bridges) are blue, most older signs are green and so are the ones on municipal highways (i.e. Bedford).
Penhorn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #308
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Het is hetzelfde in Wallonië hoor.

Sign for Brussels (Bruxelles). Where on Earth was this photographed? Belgium and all its neighboring countries use blue on motorways, where did they get green?
Old June 9th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #309
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Well, here is the first picture Google gave me

Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #310
Verso
Islander

But Belgium uses blue!
Old June 10th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #311
Alex Von Königsberg

Although the guide signs on motorways are indeed blue, from both photos above it seems that the direction to the motorway is green. Can someone confirm?
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #312
ChrisH

Likes (Received): 12

Wouldn't surprise me. Belgium's road signage is horrible in general!
ChrisH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #313
rmg1204

Likes (Received): 0

Although green, freeway signs in the state of Georgia are somewhat different in appearance from the rest of the United States. From somewhere near Atlanta:

rmg1204 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #314
Alex Von Königsberg

"The rest of the United States" is also very different from each other Georgia's signs still look too American.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:24 AM   #315
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg1204 View Post
Although green, freeway signs in the state of Georgia are somewhat different in appearance from the rest of the United States. From somewhere near Atlanta:

Its the font.

This is the font used in most US highways

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:47 PM   #316
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg1204 View Post

Are those 8 lanes for real?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:48 PM   #317
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

Yes, but that hasn't solved traffic problems in ATL.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:30 AM   #318
edolen1
Monkey business

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
Nope, Austria fully uses blue signs, I'm sure of this. However, they use the green colour in different instances, usually when pointing to natural or cultural heritage and maybe industry and the like..
edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:43 AM   #319
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
"The rest of the United States" is also very different from each other Georgia's signs still look too American.
Too American? Whats wrong with looking American?
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:39 PM   #320
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

I think he's saying that Georgia's signs don't look different from the rest of the US- they look "too American" to be considered different.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote