daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:40 PM   #321
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Are those 8 lanes for real?
If you're in that far left lane you'll need a pair of binoculars to see the exit signage. The offramps are just a "rumour" that far over!
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #322
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Too American? Whats wrong with looking American?
Take it easy, dude Billpa already explained what I meant. I was trying to say that I don't see any significant differences from the rest of US signage except for the font.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #323
oriental_horizon

Likes (Received): 3

I've read somewhere the reason that road signs are green background white text is because it is easier to see and more visible in all types of weather e.g. rainy, cloudy and clear weather.

It might be true in Europe they have tested it and blue background on white text is easier to see in all types of weather.
oriental_horizon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #324
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
I heard Peru uses white
Yellow would look awesome for motorways, but good yellow like some Bulgarian sigins (not motorway) which has a bit orange and blue for normal roads, that would look the best and coolest I think.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 01:44 AM   #325
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

like on german Schnellstraße? (please, radi, this is for signs only, not for barriers or asphalt or missing shoulders. i say this prophylactical )

www.rippachtal.de

Last edited by Patrick; December 1st, 2007 at 02:23 AM.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 01:56 AM   #326
radi6404

Îf only the shoulders were wider on pic 5 it would look like a real motorway, I would like yellow most for real motorways.
Old December 1st, 2007, 02:40 AM   #327
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

That one on picture 5 looks like a real motorway as it is. Better than many (most?) real motorways around the world.
It has all the carachteristics to be a motorway... it just has a diference name...
Not all the other photo's though.
Old December 1st, 2007, 03:52 PM   #328
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
I heard Peru uses white
I guess some City Highways have also white Color.

Köln:

(München)

www.autobahn-bilder.de
www.autobahnatlas-online.de
Old December 1st, 2007, 03:59 PM   #329
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8798

I very much like blue motorway signs. I have to say I quite like the UK system of signage (well the colours anyway).

M roads (motorways) - Blue
A roads (expressways or arterials) - Green
B roads and minor roads (main roads or alternative routes) - White
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM   #330
hix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Although the guide signs on motorways are indeed blue, from both photos above it seems that the direction to the motorway is green. Can someone confirm?
The signs on the motorways are indeed blue. Signs on other roads are also blue, except the signs that direct to motorways, these are green. It is possible that you have for instance a sign thats say Brussels in blue to the left and in green to the right. So the motorway is to the right and the normal road to the left...
hix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:25 PM   #331
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I guess some City Highways have also white Color.
in Germany white is a colour of city roads, yellow of state roads (bundesstrassen), blue are the motorways. probably this one in Köln doesn't match with any national roads, while this one in Berlin does. that's why there are yellow signs, and here white.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:32 PM   #332
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

first pic of Köln shows the B55n, a Bundesstraße. But for some reason they even didn't number the road on the sign as you can see.
the other two pics show the L124, a Landesstraße (used to be A559 though). Usually, Landesstraßen numbers are nowhere signed on the road signs, only on the kilometerposts every 200 meters.
Old December 1st, 2007, 08:57 PM   #333
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Now in Spain you can find:

White text over blue background in Autopistas and autovías (Motorways and Expressways motorway-like).
GC-1 in Gran Canaria. Pic by Nicolás.

White text over green background in single carriageway expressways (vía rápida) now only in Catalonian regional network. Vía rápida concept has disappeared from State Roads Network and it has been replaced by a kind of road called "vía para automóviles" ("way for cars"). This is also used in Barcelona ring motorways system (B-10 and B-20), they are State Roads Network motorways but they use green signs.
Pic by catorze14 in flickr. Expressway C-25 (Eix Transversal de Catalunya/Catalonia Transversal Axis) -forget the face..lol-
image hosted on flickr

B-20 Ronda de Dalt. Ring motorways system of Barcelona. Supposedly it's a motorway or a expressway but it uses green signs. Pic by Chriszwolle.

Black text over white background on the rest of roads: single carriageways,
conventional ones and expressways (vía para automóviles), and urban roads.
Pic by Arriaca. N-320 highway. Generally text uses capital letters, but I think that in single carriageway expressways of State Roads Network (vías para automóviles) the only difference between conventional roads and expressways are the type of text. Here you can see lower-case text because is a stretch with expressway characteristics.

However, at the beginning of the 90's the Spanish Ministry of Public Works tried a special sign schema colour for autovías ("expressways motorway-like") with blue text and white background. It was finally abandoned and replaced by blue blackground schema.
Old schema for autovias sign on A-31. Pic by Nephasto.

Pic by Skylandman

Moreover you can find additional colours over any kind of sign:

-White text over green background is also used for urban places, streets, squares, etc.
Santander entrance by Carabazatowers.

-Black text over yellow background is used for interesting places for visitors or travellers as airports, railways or bus stations, parkings, malls, etc.
Pic by Nicolás

Yellow signs are used for works too.

-White text over brown background is used for natural places and turistic attractions (natural parks, parks, historical cities, etc).
-Black text over orange background for amusement zones (funfairs, leisure harbours, stadiums and arenas, etc)-
M-30 exit to Casa Campo (Park) and Parque de Atracciones (Amusement Park)
image hosted on flickr

-White text over purple/magenta (depending on sign) background for cultural equipment (educational centers, libraries, etc) and monuments.
Pic by Booze. Ma-13 exit to Lluc Monastery in Mallorca.

-White text over grey background for industrial zones.
Pic by Booze. Ma-13.

I think I don't forget anything.

Last edited by Reivajar; December 2nd, 2007 at 01:43 PM.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:39 PM   #334
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
in Germany white is a colour of city roads, yellow of state roads (bundesstrassen), blue are the motorways. probably this one in Köln doesn't match with any national roads, while this one in Berlin does. that's why there are yellow signs, and here white.
No, different.
White on blue is for Autobahns, all other roads are generally signed black on yellow, not only federal roads. These are the standard colors for all signs. If different colors are needed, generally only panels with those colors are used for the specific targets. Only sometimes the complete sign can be in this color (like on Patrick's pics).
These different colors are:
Inner city targets black on white.
Touristical targets white on brown.
Road systems of trade fairs or airports sometimes use white on green, i.e. all roads belonging to Frankfurt airport use green signs - according to my first words of course with blue panels for Autobahn targets and yellow panels for other extraairportican (nice word I invented ) targets. Exception is the B43 which as a federal road has still yellow signs.
However, completely white OVERHEAD signs like those Patrick showed in his pictures can only be found in Cologne and on the Mittlerer Ring in Munich. Don't know the reason why they are white. These roads are some kind of inner city expressways, a relic of the "car-friendly city" and most of the targets are inner city, maybe that's the reason for.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:12 AM   #335
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Great explanation Reivajar!
Old December 2nd, 2007, 03:03 AM   #336
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
No, different.
White on blue is for Autobahns, all other roads are generally signed black on yellow, not only federal roads. These are the standard colors for all signs. If different colors are needed, generally only panels with those colors are used for the specific targets. Only sometimes the complete sign can be in this color (like on Patrick's pics).
yes, i know that. i just thought if city road match with some of "yellow" roads it is yellow, and if it doesn't match (if it is just a city street) it was white. but probably no rule for federal roads inside the cities.

btw, are there any more countries except Germany and ex-Yugoslavian countries that use yellow? (ok, spanish special destinations, too)
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 06:30 PM   #337
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Luxemburg... I don't remember any others right now.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM   #338
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Norway?
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:03 PM   #339
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Norway?
Yes, for most roads. Motorways (all 2km of them) use blue. Local destinations use white.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:20 PM   #340
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
yes, i know that. i just thought if city road match with some of "yellow" roads it is yellow, and if it doesn't match (if it is just a city street) it was white. but probably no rule for federal roads inside the cities.

btw, are there any more countries except Germany and ex-Yugoslavian countries that use yellow? (ok, spanish special destinations, too)
Some Bulgarian roads have beautiful yellow signs but they are very rare, I don´t know why, for nationalroads they prefer blue but I don´t know why somewheere they use yellow.