daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #481
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peines View Post
Good question. Answer: If the Spanish government DID NOTHING about the economy in the last 7 years… do you think, seriously, they will do make all Autovias into Autopistas…? Spain is like a parody of the European rich countries.

At last after lots of research here is the latest and the most complete map

Updated!!

Last edited by Nima-Farid; August 26th, 2011 at 12:55 PM.
Nima-Farid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #482
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

I think it's time to convince the Spanish government to change all blue motorways signs into white with blue letters, and then this map will have big white spot… and this thread will change to Blue vs. Green vs White …

I'm evil… XD
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #483
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Or if we want to be more accurate we can draw white stripes in spain just like Ontario, Canada :P
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #484
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Some of these are still on the A1 coming down to Madrid.

more than twenty years old signals!!!!!

It is recommended to update signals every 10 years. Some of those (20 years old) are impossible to be seen while night.

When the motorway was built it was named as N-I, (N-II, etc...) and later they change the name to A-1... and keeping N-I for the old stenches of that road.

First signals in those motorways where in white.... and when they change the name of the road, they change part of signals. So then... sometimes in the night you could see only "A-1" (a sticker fixed 10 years ago). The rest... absolutely impossible.

I remember than in A-2 motorway there was one signal that indicated a little village wrong. It was written with "V" instead of "B"... and the fault kept on while 18 years.

When they updated signals on A-2... the new one had corrected that mistakes..... Wow!!!

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #485
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Typical Spanish.
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #486
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Namibia is green as well: http://maps.google.nl/maps?q=windhoe...oid=po-3753741

(Picture from B1 (Western bypass) near Windhoek, the only freeway in the country)
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #487
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Namibia signposts in the South African style. So if the South African approach is anything to go by, I would say that the Windhoek bypass is not a formal motorway. South Africa uses blue for motorways and green for non-motorways. The latter category includes routes that look like a motorway but are not one (usually because access is not restricted).
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #488
aswnl

Namibian B-roads can be compared to South-African N-roads. The latter have green signs when they are single carriageways, and blue when they are freeway. That distinction has not been made in Namibia - all B-roads have green signs, whether they are single carriageways or freeways.
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #489
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
Namibia is green as well: http://maps.google.nl/maps?q=windhoe...oid=po-3753741

(Picture from B1 (Western bypass) near Windhoek, the only freeway in the country)
Updated!!!

Namibia added

Last edited by Nima-Farid; August 26th, 2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #490
aswnl

In this thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=246489
You can find a picture of green freewaysigns in the Dom. Republic.
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #491
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Namibian B-roads can be compared to South-African N-roads. The latter have green signs when they are single carriageways, and blue when they are freeway. That distinction has not been made in Namibia - all B-roads have green signs, whether they are single carriageways or freeways.
I do recall having driven on one or two dual carriageway N-routes in South Africa that were signposted in green. In Swaziland, also on South African style, I encountered the same. MR3 between the SAn border and Mbabane is dual carriageway and blue, MR3 between Mbabane and Manzini is dual carriageway and green.

But it may just be that signposting in those areas was just wrong, e.g. that they had just upgraded the road but not yet exchanged the green signs for blue ones. Any Saffers to enlighten us?
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #492
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

I'll enlighten you guys when I get home later today, don't worry.
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #493
Nima-Farid
BANNED

India is blue
[IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralized pandemonium View Post
India The next two fhotos by magestom
[/IMG]
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #494
Nima-Farid
BANNED

The latest version:
Domenican Republic added
India Fixed
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #495
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
I do recall having driven on one or two dual carriageway N-routes in South Africa that were signposted in green. In Swaziland, also on South African style, I encountered the same. MR3 between the SAn border and Mbabane is dual carriageway and blue, MR3 between Mbabane and Manzini is dual carriageway and green.

But it may just be that signposting in those areas was just wrong, e.g. that they had just upgraded the road but not yet exchanged the green signs for blue ones. Any Saffers to enlighten us?
There are a few places where national roads are dual carriageway, but on closer inspection have some minor at-grade intersections, so they do not get blue signs. Molenaar Valley

There are other places where gradients and curves don't meet freeway standards or there is no alternative route for non-freeway traffic, such as the Houwhoek Pass

There are only a few of these though.

I'm unconvinced about Namibia using green signs for freeways though. The northern part of the Windhoek Western Bypass is the only grade-separated dual carriageway in the country, and I'm doubtful that it is classed as a freeway (ie having restricted access).

Last edited by ed110220; August 26th, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #496
zsmg

Likes (Received): 1202

Heh, I always assumed blue was the most common for motorways surprised to see that isn't the case. Is there any reason why a country picks blue over green or vice versa? Is it better visibility or is it simply because they're copying it from another country?
zsmg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #497
aswnl

White on Blue is better visible in the dark than white on green (better contrast), so no surprise that a lot of countries chose it as colour-scheme for their (at least initially) high speed freeways. (The colours often have been chosen in an era before retroreflection).

Apart from that it often is part of a national colour-scheme in which normal roads also have their own colour. For example:

Country/Freeway/Mainroads/Other roads/Local Roads/Detours

Germany/White on Blue/Black on Yellow/Black on Yellow/Black on White/Black on White
France/White on Blue/White on Green/Black on White/Black on White/Black on Yellow
Belgium/White on Blue/White on Blue/White on Blue/Black on White/Black on Orange
Netherlands/White on Blue/White on Blue/White on Blue/Black on White/Black on Yellow

Every country its own combination, or even more combinations. Like red on white. In NL it's a special sign for bikers, in DK it is used for Main roads...
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #498
bogdymol
bogdymod

Romania / White on Green / White on Blue / White on Blue / Black on White / Black on Yellow
+ touristic attractions: White on Brown
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #499
GCarty

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
White on Blue is better visible in the dark than white on green (better contrast), so no surprise that a lot of countries chose it as colour-scheme for their (at least initially) high speed freeways. (The colours often have been chosen in an era before retroreflection).

Apart from that it often is part of a national colour-scheme in which normal roads also have their own colour. For example:

Country/Freeway/Mainroads/Other roads/Local Roads/Detours

Germany/White on Blue/Black on Yellow/Black on Yellow/Black on White/Black on White
France/White on Blue/White on Green/Black on White/Black on White/Black on Yellow
Belgium/White on Blue/White on Blue/White on Blue/Black on White/Black on Orange
Netherlands/White on Blue/White on Blue/White on Blue/Black on White/Black on Yellow

Every country its own combination, or even more combinations. Like red on white. In NL it's a special sign for bikers, in DK it is used for Main roads...
UK and Ireland

Motorways - White on Blue (route numbers are in taller type)
Primary Routes - White on Green (route numbers are Yellow on Green)
Non-Primary Routes - Black on White (route numbers normal type)
Detours - Black on Yellow
Tourist Attractions - White on Brown

So except for the special treatment of route numbers, it's more or less the same as France's system.
GCarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #500
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Iran
White on Blue/White on Green/(White on Green-Black on White)/Black on White/Black on Yellow

For tourist attractions White on Brown
For public services like Terminals and rest areas Black on Orange