daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #501
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Spain/White on Blue/Black on White/Black on White/Black on White/Black on Yellow

Also, White on Green for the streets/squares names (only the name), Black on Yellow for public services (Airports or Car-parks or Train/Bus Stations or Shopping Centers), Black/White on Orange for sports and recreation (not very usual), White on Brown for Natural Spaces and Beach, White on Magenta for Cultural services (universities, schools, convention Centers, Museumsů), and last, White on Grey for industrial zones
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #502
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

==
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #503
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima-Farid View Post
Are you sure it is a motorway? What road is it? You know that countries without motorways may not be represented in this forum as mentioned in the title.
But good to see the foirst pic from an Angolan road
I am sure
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #504
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

I think Kosovo will be Green as the dual carriageway magistrales are blue as seen here.... (BTW the central reservation is on the left of the picture, the two right lanes are for local acess.)

[IMG]http://i33.************/2s8gta9.jpg[/IMG]

The first stretch of motorway will open October this year so we will see.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #505
Next Exit

Likes (Received): 0

In Australia, whilst generally highway and motorway (freeway) directional signs are green (brown for tourist signage), there is an exception which is for tollways in Victoria (such as the M1 CityLink and M3 EastLink in Melbourne) which are blue, with yellow lettering. This is to differentiate tollways from freeways.

A similar case exists in Ontario, Canada where tollways such as metro Toronto's 407 ERT signage is also blue. Blue signs are also used to differentiate between express lanes (green signs) and collector lanes (blue signs) such as on the 401 and 427. Both the express and collector lanes form part of the motorway/freeway but are different colours to assist drivers in differentiating signage applying to the respective lanes. There has been some comment that collector lanes are not freeway standard, which is incorrect. They form part of the freeway and are fully access-controlled with grade-separation.
Next Exit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #506
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmg View Post
Heh, I always assumed blue was the most common for motorways surprised to see that isn't the case. Is there any reason why a country picks blue over green or vice versa? Is it better visibility or is it simply because they're copying it from another country?
This whole conversation is actually somewhat inapplicable to the U.S.; all directional signage is white-on-green here, regardless of the type of road (with minor exceptions like brown used in the National Park system, which includes some roads like the George Washington Memorial Parkway in the Washington area). White-on-blue is used for services, white-on-brown for tourist information....

We don't use the chopsticks symbol either.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #507
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post
[IMG]http://i33.************/2s8gta9.jpg[/IMG]
Is that truck on the right going in the wrong direction?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #508
DanielFigFoz

I think so
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #509
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

In Hungary 20 years ago every road directional sign was white on green.
In the 90's motorway and expressway signs were replaced to white on blue, local roads to black on white while all other roads remaind white on green.
New touristical signs were introduced, using the usual white on brown scheme.
Note that in mixed signs, e.g. in a sign has information about local destinations and a motorway as well, this sign has a white background but the part that informs about the motorway is white on green.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #510
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Is that truck on the right going in the wrong direction?
No no, read my post first, I explained that the central reservtion is on the left hand side, those two tracks where the truck is are loacal acess lanes and are devided from the expressway.

This is how the road is built..
-------------------------
>>>>>>>> - Local Acess
<<<<<<<< - Local Acess
---------------------------
<<<<<<<< - Expressway
<<<<<<<< - Expressway
=====================
>>>>>>>> - Expressway
>>>>>>>> - Expressway (Photo is taken from this lane)
----------------------------
<<<<<<<< - Local Acess (Truck is here)
>>>>>>>> - Local Acess

It has a total of 8 lanes.

I hope my visualisation makes sense.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #511
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post
No no, read my post first, I explained that the central reservtion is on the left hand side, those two tracks where the truck is are loacal acess lanes and are devided from the expressway.

This is how the road is built..
-------------------------
>>>>>>>> - Local Acess
<<<<<<<< - Local Acess
<<<<<<<< - Expressway
<<<<<<<< - Expressway
=====================
>>>>>>>> - Expressway
>>>>>>>> - Expressway (Photo is taken from this lane)
----------------------------
<<<<<<<< - Local Acess (Truck is here)
>>>>>>>> - Local Acess

It has a total of 8 lanes.

I hope my visualisation makes sense.
OK, but in the photo there's a sign just above the "local access" road, having TWO arrows upwards. What does it mean then?

Last edited by Attus; August 26th, 2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: typo
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #512
sallae2

Likes (Received): 1604

Can it be considered as expressway with roundabout on it?
sallae2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #513
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
I think Kosovo will be Green as the dual carriageway magistrales are blue as seen here.... (BTW the central reservation is on the left of the picture, the two right lanes are for local acess.)
This thread will only cover countries which have freeways right now. if we consider a color for Kosovo we have to also consider a color for all of the central asian republics and african countries!
Nima-Farid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #514
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
OK, but in the photo there's a sign just above the "local access" road, having TWO arrows upwards. What does it mean then?
If you look closely it is only above the car!
Nima-Farid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #515
Durin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmg View Post
Heh, I always assumed blue was the most common for motorways surprised to see that isn't the case. Is there any reason why a country picks blue over green or vice versa? Is it better visibility or is it simply because they're copying it from another country?
I think the colour used on national road/highway signage before motorways were built plays a big part. In Sweden's case I assume blue was always used on highways and therefore, when motorways were built, it was natural to go for green on motorway signage.

This recently happened in Russia. They went for green when they started building proper motorways, as the national network already uses blue. Not much choice there as it basically comes down to cost.
Old August 26th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #516
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

Sweden used black on yellow before 1962, when a major road numbering reform took place. At first, motorways had a dark blue colour, but this was changed when an international treaty was signed. The treaty declared that motorway signs were to have a colour different from those of regular roads.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #517
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
I do recall having driven on one or two dual carriageway N-routes in South Africa that were signposted in green. In Swaziland, also on South African style, I encountered the same. MR3 between the SAn border and Mbabane is dual carriageway and blue, MR3 between Mbabane and Manzini is dual carriageway and green.

But it may just be that signposting in those areas was just wrong, e.g. that they had just upgraded the road but not yet exchanged the green signs for blue ones. Any Saffers to enlighten us?
OK, as promised earlier today, here comes the long explanation...

Basically, for the road to have blue signage, it must be a dual-carriageway, limited access freeway (i.e. divided, full control of access, no at-grade intersections) . Most freeways across the country qualify - but you do get a few oddballs...

Firstly, in some rural areas, we get what's officially termed a "single-carriageway freeway" - it's an undivided road that meets all the other freeway criteria. Because these roads don't strictly follow the proper definition of a freeway, they have green signage:

Most of these such roads are 2x2 (such as this section of the N2, around 80km north of Durban), although sometimes they're alternating 2x1.

Then, you get dual-carriageway roads that aren't classified as freeways for whatever reason - most likely, at-grade intersections. The N1 route through the Molenaars River Valley (eastern side of the Hugenot Tunnel) is an example of this: it's a dual-carriageway 2x2 (3x2 in a few places) - but, because of this little at-grade intersection on it, it doesn't satisfy the freeway criteria and hence receives green signage:

Another good example of this is the N12 between Klerksdorp and Potchestroom. It's a dual-carriageway road (2x2), but it definitely is not limited access. There's also a few cases where mountain passes are made dual-carriageways only for the duration of the pass, and these short sections aren't classified as freeway either.

And then, you get the screwups. The N7 through Springbok has blue signage when it should definitely have green signage (but for a town so small as Springbok, I suppose they're proud that they actually have a grade-separated interchange - although the purpose would be to keep traffic between Cape Town and Namibia separated from local traffic):

And to end off: we also have signs with brown backgrounds, which are used for anything tourism related:

Hope this post clears up all the confusion.

(Just for the record, I haven't visited either Namibia or Swaziland, so I can't comment on the way that they do things.)
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #518
Durin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
Sweden used black on yellow before 1962, when a major road numbering reform took place. At first, motorways had a dark blue colour, but this was changed when an international treaty was signed.
I didn't know that, but I can imagine as it is how the Germans still do it.
A general cultural shift must have taken place in the Nordics post-WWII as we gradually shifted from being quite German-orientated to becoming very Americanised. Funnily enough, Norway still uses black on yellow and blue for motorways. I actually prefer blue.

Sweden has and still uses black on yellow for local direction signage though.
Was there no differentiation between highway and local road signage before 1962?

I do remember however, blue highway signs in Sweden having a much darker tone of blue.
Still a few of them around. Must have changed during the mid-80's?

Old August 26th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #519
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Norwegian motorways are white on blue, all other roads are black on yellow. A complete copy of the German system to be frankly.

Last edited by Norsko; June 28th, 2014 at 04:28 PM.
Norsko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #520
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

Durin: I think the difference was that private roads had a red border instead of black, like on your picture. Private roads still have black on yellow with a red border.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote