daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #521
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Regular road (no matter number of lanes):

Motorway (fulfilling all European standards for such):

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #522
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin
I do remember however, blue highway signs in Sweden having a much darker tone of blue. Still a few of them around. Must have changed during the mid-80's?
The introduction of retroflective foil in the late 1980s saw an introduction of foil that was brighter than the old tone of blue. Maybe that is the change that you refer to? And even apart from retroflective foil, blue signs have become brighter over time. In many countries, signs used to be black before they turned blue.

To revert on Australia, they used to have a special colour for freeways. People on Aussiehighways speak of it as Freeway Green. Freeways used to be signposted in a brighter shade of green than other roads (which are also signposted green). But I don't think that many states still use that make that distinction. WA possibly?
Old August 27th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #523
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peines View Post
Spain/White on Blue/Black on White/Black on White/Black on White/Black on Yellow

Also, White on Green for the streets/squares names (only the name), Black on Yellow for public services (Airports or Car-parks or Train/Bus Stations or Shopping Centers), Black/White on Orange for sports and recreation (not very usual), White on Brown for Natural Spaces and Beach, White on Magenta for Cultural services (universities, schools, convention Centers, Museumsů), and last, White on Grey for industrial zones

and... white over brown for national parks or other zone with environment protection.

(JosÚ A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #524
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
The introduction of retroflective foil in the late 1980s saw an introduction of foil that was brighter than the old tone of blue. Maybe that is the change that you refer to?
It was not question about just changing the foil. Since 1958, Sweden really had two different blue tones in their traffic signs:

[IMG]http://i53.************/3495ez6.jpg[/IMG]

The color scheme was updated in 1970's and 1980's. The direction sings turned much lighter blue, and the visual design was updated, too:

MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #525
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Cool First time to see black signs!
Nima-Farid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #526
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

Very nice! I see that the guide dates back to the pre-1967 era of right-hand traffic (note the roundabout, two-way traffic and no overtaking signs)
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #527
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
It was not question about just changing the foil. Since 1958, Sweden really had two different blue tones in their traffic signs:

http://i53.************/3495ez6.jpg

The color scheme was updated in 1970's and 1980's. The direction sings turned much lighter blue, and the visual design was updated, too:

The motorway sign is not correct here. They were not light blue, they were dark blue (black) in that time. Before around 1980 all motorways had the same colur like other roads in Sweden. But after they had to chanche because international treaty for European motorways declared motorway signs were to have a different colour from other roads.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; August 27th, 2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: don't quote large pics if they are on the same page
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #528
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima-Farid View Post
This thread will only cover countries which have freeways right now. if we consider a color for Kosovo we have to also consider a color for all of the central asian republics and african countries!
You should have read my coment properly. I stated that Kosovo will have its first stretch of motorway this October which is two months from now.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #529
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
and... white over brown for national parks or other zone with environment protection.
= White on Brown for Natural Spaces and Beach
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #530
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post
You should have read my coment properly. I stated that Kosovo will have its first stretch of motorway this October which is two months from now.
Ah so if they are going to have the motorway in two months so I will put it in the map.
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #531
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Quote:
Ah so if they are going to have the motorway in two months and you are sure that the sighs will be green so I will put it in the map.
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #532
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
But after they had to chanche because international treaty for European motorways declared motorway signs were to have a different colour from other roads.
Well...

Basically, the Vienna convention does not enforce anything. Every member state in entitled to post a reservation. A reservation is a declaration of making a decision to deviate from one more articles of the statement. For example, if Sweden wanted do change the motorway signs to be purple text on pink background, that would be possible.

Then, the Vienna convention does not declare the motorway sings to be different color from other roads. It states they shall be white on blue or green background, nothing more. Therefore, Sweden made that distinction voluntarily, like most (all?) other member states.
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #533
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

A country could always ignore the Vienna convention, I hardly think that it could be enforced
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #534
shpirtkosova
BANNED

The whole beauty of the European motorway routes are the different styles of siganege you see, different style of everything... a mix of different ways to build or design motorways. If all EU motorways were standardized, that would kind of suck really.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #535
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17504

Today i dont understand brazilian motorway signs

xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #536
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
A country could always ignore the Vienna convention, I hardly think that it could be enforced
Yes. UK, Spain and Portugal have signed the agreement, but do not have ratified it. Most of the members have declared a few minor reservations. The agreement is a useful basis for voluntary standardization still allowing adaptation to country-specific needs.
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #537
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Quote:
The whole beauty of the European motorway routes are the different styles of siganege you see, different style of everything... a mix of different ways to build or design motorways. If all EU motorways were standardized, that would kind of suck really.
Yeah it would the become like Unite States of America (United States of Europa)
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #538
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Quote:
I agree! I allways recognize a motorway when I see one, long before I see the first directional sign; I like the national differences in colours, arrows, Stack VS diagram (map-like) design and such. I find it specially interesting when two neighboring countries has the complete opposit colour scheme; Like Poland and the Czhech Republic or France and Italy.
Old August 28th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #539
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
It was not question about just changing the foil. Since 1958, Sweden really had two different blue tones in their traffic signs.

The color scheme was updated in 1970's and 1980's. The direction sings turned much lighter blue, and the visual design was updated, too.
I experimented with the old and new design and came up with this hybrid which I really like.

Standard sign:

Exit sign on motorway:
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #540
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Apparently the UK uses blue for signs...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote