daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #621
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

That second one looks like a surprised ghost....

EDIT: or a small bowling ball for someone with very large hands.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2014, 12:50 AM   #622
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
you need an alcometer in France? The vin is good but not so good!
Yes. If the police stops you and suspects you've been drinking, you'll need to use your own alcotester to show them. (Which is interesting considering the old judicial principle "innocent until proven guilty").

They can be bought on service stations in France as well as neighbouring countries near the French border for about €2 a pair. That's not the problem, problem is about the need to know this in the first place; when crossing the border there is no warning whatsoever.
Old June 28th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #623
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Yes. If the police stops you and suspects you've been drinking, you'll need to use your own alcotester to show them. (Which is interesting considering the old judicial principle "innocent until proven guilty").

They can be bought on service stations in France as well as neighbouring countries near the French border for about €2 a pair. That's not the problem, problem is about the need to know this in the first place; when crossing the border there is no warning whatsoever.
I see this as a question of principle. The cornestone of the EU free trade is that if a product X is approved by one member country, it should be accepted by all to other members, too. For some reason, this priciple does not seem to cover these country-specific accessories.

I know that blindly following this principle would lead to certain troubles, related to winter tyres, for instance. But the German Umweltzone stickers are just pure unnecessary bureaucrazy (Z intended): You can buy an official document by showing another official document. All passenger cars build since 1993 qualify for the green sticker.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #624
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

That's not quite accurate. At the beginning of this century they still produced diesel passenger cars that would qualify for orange only. A lot of them in Germany have been exported second hand to neighbouring countries as they became useless in the big cities in Germany.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #625
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

In the UK we only use blue on motorways, green are for A Roads

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #626
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
In the UK we only use blue on motorways, green are for A Roads
Not all A roads, just primary routes.
Old July 1st, 2014, 09:53 AM   #627
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
California does have those green "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" signs though, that seem to be used in the exact same way as the chopsticks one... it's odd since you are basically screwed once you pass it if you can't or don't want to be on freeway (same as chopsticks)
It should be noted that there is more information on these Freeway Entrance assemblies. Besides the green "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" sign, you will typically find a route shield, cardinal direction and a arrow pointing to the ramp. Here's a mock up of a California Freeway Entrance assembly…

It should also be noted that the "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" sign was added to the 2009 MUTCD as an optional way to mark the ramps that enter a freeway. Besides California, I know that Nevada has been using something similar for quite some time while Oregon has recently started installing these types of assemblies.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:36 PM   #628
mubd
Maglev Bus to Matraville!

Likes (Received): 951

In Australia, green is generally for directional and distance signage, like this (these examples are from New South Wales)

It's also used for freeway/motorway signage like entrance and exit signage:

As you can see, blue signage is used for signage indicating the conditions of a toll road. The directional signage on a toll road stays green, but information about how much the toll is, if it's E-tag only and how to pay is displayed on blue signage. In Victoria, the directional signage changes to orange on blue to show that a toll road is impending.

Here's a nifty little LED sign telling you the toll charge on a road with variable time of day tolling (Sydney Harbour Bridge)

Blue signage is also used for directional signage to a specific point of interest, like an airport or a stadium.

There's other colours used with a specific purpose, too.

Red is generally used for important warning signage (like a dangerous curve or a warning to reduce speed). It can also be used on a directional sign to indicate an emergency department for a hospital (generally only used very close to the hospital).

Yellow is used for warning signs.

White is for regulatory signs, which must legally be complied with.

Purple is now being used for overheight warning signs, because our truckies are too dumb to remember the height of their vehicles before smashing into a tunnel.

Penn's Woods, Autobahn-mann liked this post
mubd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #629
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Just extended it slighty outside of Europe into other countries with an official motorway-equivalent level road

bogdymol, devo liked this post
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:42 PM   #630
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

USA and Canada uses green (Except certain Ontario freeways). Don't like blue to be honest; green looks more pleasant.
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:06 AM   #631
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Well Quebec used to use blue on toll roads, y'en reste encore quelques-uns, and I liked it better than green, a whole lot better I was disappointed the Hwy 25 bridge and A-30 toll zone kept green signs, they should have at least made the "pont a peage" part blue.

I still tend to stay on the Express lanes in Toronto though just because I love that word express... and I'm too poor to afford the 407.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 06:41 AM   #632
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mubd View Post

Yellow is used for warning signs.
I remember visiting Australia and seeing that sign and wondered why they didn't use the North American equivalent which conveys the same message without text:

The "Change Lanes" is implied. I doubt people would stop once the lane ends!
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 07:05 AM   #633
Kanadzie

The pictogram sign is universal in Canada and very common in the USA but the "lane ends" text sign is pretty common in the US too, maybe not with the "change lanes" adder, even Americans are not that stupid

The funny one is in Maryland I've seen, lane ends, merge left, with two crazy arrows... I can't find a pic but they're all over 495 if you look...
Old March 3rd, 2015, 07:46 PM   #634
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

About 50 % in Europe have blue sign and the other 50 % have green sign on the motorways. But why didn't they have one colour like a standard for all European countries? Like blue for all? Or green for all?
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 08:02 PM   #635
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19428

Each country developed its signage independently, some countries copying some from other countries. Green and blue have approximately the same contrast (hence they are both widely used), although blue may stand out a little better with a lot of foliage in the background. But green may stand out better in shaded places.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 09:48 PM   #636
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

While beign more "European", Lithuania will completely change its motorway singnage from green to blue by 2020. Other roads wouldn't expect the change.

Advance signs will be changed too. I wish there would be advanced sings near every interchange (because in every single country who has motorways, advance signs are near every interchange)
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #637
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Does that mean that they will change their "other roads" signs from blue to green as well? And the 50%+50% is number of countries, population-wise, blue has a huge advantage in Europe while green has that advantage worldwide, counting China's extensive motorway network in especially
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 03:47 AM   #638
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

I dont think the blue ones looks "more European" than the green ones. Compare:

I think both are very European.

But maybe Lithuania want to change for political reasons? Poland is blue and Russia is green
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #639
Kanadzie

heaven is blue and hell is... green

Blue seems very Europe... maybe just because of the EU-flagge...
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:50 AM   #640
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 7001

But EU covers less than a half of Europe, so not really very European.